Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oddball microphone technique (OMT) - part 2  (Read 4437 times)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Oddball microphone technique (OMT) - part 2
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2018, 06:08:30 PM »
But to emphasize GB's commentary- don't sweat the EQ stuff much, It's truly all to taste. And ALWAYS be judicious, less is more is generally the case with tonal balance EQ.
One thing To add on a tangent- I like to listen to the two channel "rough mix" 3 different ways before I decide if/how to EQ- over computer monitors using both Audacity and foobar2000, headphones, and in my car. So silly, but my car audio system is the most revealing of the three.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2018, 06:32:34 PM »
One thing To add on a tangent- I like to listen to the two channel "rough mix" 3 different ways before I decide if/how to EQ- over computer monitors using both Audacity and foobar2000, headphones, and in my car. So silly, but my car audio system is the most revealing of the three.
I try to do that as well.  My primary headphones (Beyer DT880 600 ohm) are on the bright side, so if I rely just on them the end result can sound dull on any other system.  So, in this case, I made some rough mixes and compared them through my main rig (Monitor Audio Silver 10s, Simaudio Moon 240i).  In this case I wasn't comparing different EQs, but different ratios of omnis to AT cards.
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031s | CA-14 omnis | AT853 cards | Line Audio CM3s | AKG 460/ck61 | Studio Projects CS5
Pre: CA9200
Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (4)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2018, 06:42:55 PM »
I try to do that as well.  My primary headphones (Beyer DT880 600 ohm) are on the bright side, so if I rely just on them the end result can sound dull on any other system.  So, in this case, I made some rough mixes and compared them through my main rig (Monitor Audio Silver 10s, Simaudio Moon 240i).  In this case I wasn't comparing different EQs, but different ratios of omnis to AT cards.

thats pretty much what i do. I fly by the seat of my pants if and i mean IF i do any EQ. I just go with what sounds right to me vs. any real concept or philosophy. You can tweak all day every day. I figure go with my gut and get it done.
AKG414 XLS/ST> TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2
Musichall Mambo > VR-2's

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2018, 07:32:22 PM »
I fly by the seat of my pants if and i mean IF i do any EQ. I just go with what sounds right to me vs. any real concept or philosophy. You can tweak all day every day. I figure go with my gut and get it done.

I do that then rationalize it and make long posts justifying to myself here.  ;)
volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values | numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
made easy- >>Improved PAS table<< | made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<<

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com