Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Favorite New Microphone Stand  (Read 19694 times)

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
Re: Favorite New Microphone Stand
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 04:13:20 PM »
There's even a smaller one, more expensive, but collapses down to a measly 16".   Max height is 6' 3" inches.  Just add a Matthews 48" Extension pole.

It's the exact same stand as the Photek, just smaller.

Promaster LS-CT Compact Travel stand

https://www.amazon.com/Promaster-LS-CT-Compact-Travel-Light/dp/B00EO4WRNG

14" without the second extension of the legs out.  21" when both sections of legs are fully extended.  This thing is really awesome.  You can also lay the legs flat to run on stage eliminating the need for a separate stand.
What is the footprint of this Promaster when the legs are fully extended?
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 07:52:33 AM »
There's even a smaller one, more expensive, but collapses down to a measly 16".   Max height is 6' 3" inches.  Just add a Matthews 48" Extension pole.

It's the exact same stand as the Photek, just smaller.

Promaster LS-CT Compact Travel stand

https://www.amazon.com/Promaster-LS-CT-Compact-Travel-Light/dp/B00EO4WRNG

So after a month long backorder fro B&H for the Photek stand with no arrival date in forseeable future, I cancelled that order.  Next day I ordered the smaller promaster stand and matthews baby extension that Spyder recommended.

My life is changed when it comes to mic stands.  Seriously.  This combo is amazing, compact, and super sturdy.  Still has a small footprint when fully extended.  Can fit both pieces into a backpack and combned they weigh a little under 4lbs. 

Thanks for the recommendation, so stoked.

They must have just gotten them back in stock. I was able to order one last night.
Neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 11:00:51 AM »
I’m actually glad I went with the smaller one with extension. Much more versatile imo
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 12:45:49 PM »
I used the stand Pat suggested for the first time at Dead & Co last week and couldn’t be happier. Set up on the arena floor at the back of the SBD, but they had ice down for the minor league hockey team, so bouncy plywood was our floor instead of solid concrete. Easy to carry, easy to set up and gaff tape to the floor. Not sure if it was because of the rubber feet of the stand or the shockmount, but I had zero disturbances on the recording despite having a girl “dance” around the area behind the stand by stomping back and forth in cowboy boots for a good portion of the 1st set.
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »
How stable is it with the extension? I have used a Manfrotto 1051 BAC that I have used for awhile now but it is a little top heavy and wobbly with the extension fully extended.

I’m actually glad I went with the smaller one with extension. Much more versatile imo

Online checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 02:50:37 PM »
Ordered on Tuesday, got shipping notification today (Thursday)!

Thanks Pat
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Online checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 04:44:48 PM »
Love the stand, nice and stable, fits in suitcase.

But a bit larger diameter than my old Shure, so needed a new carrying solution.

Fits perfectly in the bag for our camp chairs, which has shoulder strap. Protects the stand, easy to stash at the base during shows.

A small bit of kit, but I like having everything sorted...

Recordings at LMA

Offline DATPAT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Recovering Gear Slut
    • Mobiltracks-Mobile A/V Recording
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »
Cheesecadet, bummer. I used a mattews pole with Manfrotto micro stand and there is no comparison! The stand Spyder 9 is talking about would be better than the micro stand though (most likely). However, in general I don't like the extension pole option as I didn't find it to be stable. I distinctly remember my stand blowing over at lockn when using the extension pole on top of the micro stand.
Mic's(pairs) AKG (414's, 391's, Se-10's, )AT 853's, 4050's,BEYER MC 740,Gefell m300's, NEUMANN U89  i's, SKM-140 Set , TLM 170's, 102's, OKTAVA Mk-012 set,319's, SENNHEISER MKH-8050's, Sanken CMS-10, SOUNDFIELD SPS200,ST-250.PROJECTS LSD-2, & C1's,TELFUNKEN Ela 260 Field Set (H,C,O), Copper heads
Decks: Tascam Dr100Mk2,DR-680, HS-P82, Zoom F-8,Fostex LR-16, Mackie SDR 2496
Pre's- Onyx Satallite,  Niaint Littlebox W/OT, Apogee AD -1000, Mini -Me, CoopePSA1
 Video: JVC GV-LS2WE, panasonic FZ-1000
Playback: B& K and Adcom Power Amps and Martin Logan Electrostatic's and Tannoy nearfields
http://www.mobiltracks.net

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2018, 01:23:31 AM »
Cheesecadet, bummer. I used a mattews pole with Manfrotto micro stand and there is no comparison! The stand Spyder 9 is talking about would be better than the micro stand though (most likely). However, in general I don't like the extension pole option as I didn't find it to be stable. I distinctly remember my stand blowing over at lockn when using the extension pole on top of the micro stand.

So far it has been great.  The promaster stand is very stable and the exnesion pole is sufficient.  I would hang  several sets of mics on it when fully extended but it holds my two pairs nicely.  The stand a quality built either way people choose to go.

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 01:59:23 PM »
I bought one of the Photeks also. Very nice stand. Great find...
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2018, 11:13:00 AM »
So, anybody have some feedback here on either the Photek or the Promaster LS-CT with Matthew Extension?  For outdoors, I generally have access to another stand that's a lot more stable, but for when travelling to shows on transit where I'm indoors, I want something lighterweight/more compact. 

Interested in real-world feedback with either since I've got a show coming up next month where I'll need a stand.  :)

TIA
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Online checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2018, 11:53:39 AM »
So, anybody have some feedback here on either the Photek or the Promaster LS-CT with Matthew Extension?  For outdoors, I generally have access to another stand that's a lot more stable, but for when travelling to shows on transit where I'm indoors, I want something lighterweight/more compact. 

Interested in real-world feedback with either since I've got a show coming up next month where I'll need a stand.  :)

TIA
The PatStand™ is awesome! Used it for 7 shows so far. It's slightly shorter than my Shure from 25 years ago, maybe 11' vs 13' but that's only downside.

Super stable; adjustable legs make it perfect for sloping lawn shows. It's compactness means it'll fit in a not too large (non-carryon) suitcase for away shows.

Throw a 1/4" to 5/8" adapter on it, and ready to go!

Recordings at LMA

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2018, 10:07:34 AM »

I picked up one of these Photek stands from B and H. I like it! Being able to adjust the legs from very narrow to super wide will come in handy. Doesn't weigh half as much as my aluminum 8 footer and collapses down pretty small. Not small enough to attach to my gear bag or anything like that but small and light enough for me - and my GF who is often the stand bearer when we head out to shows. Not having to open the legs at all - or being able to open them but keep them all the way in - when bungeeing or taping the stand to a rail or seat will be nice too.

The top section is a little wobbly at full extension even without anything attached to it so I'll likely just slide it out enough to attach my clamp/Vark/MK41 setup to it and use the larger diameter poles to extend up. I don't usually go crazy high anyway and I'm unlikely to need the full height.  :cheers:
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 12:21:09 AM »

TIA

I use the promaster w/ matthews extention and it is great for everyday shows.  Sturdy and have been able to run this combo in small bars and a recent Phish Dick's show.  Very happy with the combo FWIW. 

Also breaks down small and easy to carry.

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 01:22:30 PM »
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll likely go with the original Photek solution as it just seems a little more stable than using the other stand with the Matthews extension pole (although maybe I'm mistaken here).

Either way, does anybody have a good, reasonably priced lead on a bag for carrying said stand?  Quite often, I'm either lugging the stand from a vehicle or taking public transit to a venue so something I can wear over my shoulder would be ideal.  TIA!
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com