Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie to this site...hello....and question about TTB  (Read 6174 times)

Offline RockStarFool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Newbie to this site...hello....and question about TTB
« on: March 08, 2018, 06:29:10 PM »
Hello! Good to be here. I'm a hack taper of a few years , music aficionado and musicain.  I go to shows all the time, don't record much because my gear is so so, anyhoo. Hoping to up my game in the recording world for sure. My dream is to have upper level recording gear and better knowledge of post production software.  I also had a question. Any Tedeschi Trucks Band fans out there? I was wondering why I haven't seen any recordings pop up of their last 5 or 6 shows?  Thank you all! Great to be here!   BG

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Newbie to this site...hello....and question about TTB
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 10:50:39 PM »
I go to shows all the time, don't record much because my gear is so so, anyhoo.
Don't let that slow you down!  Better to have a so-so recording than none at all...and worst case scenario you get some reps in and learn a thing or two that can be put to use in the future.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline RockStarFool

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 03:05:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Would like to stealth more shows.  Is it my dumb profile name....or are people on here not very social ? 74 views and one reply. Oh well. I'll keep trying. :headphones:

Online nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 07:17:29 AM »
I didn't reply because I know very little about Tedeschi Trucks Band, but I will second the encouragement for "some recording is better than no recording." Mediocre recordings are the gateway drug to excellent ones!

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 09:06:31 AM »
Welcome in taping community. I wish you a lot of fun with this beautiful hobby. Guys are right. You can make good recording even with cheap equipment - you could find a lot of examples here on the forum.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:08:35 AM by kuba e »

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 09:49:00 AM »
Welcome, I've been taping for only 3 years now, started using the internal mics on my TASCAM Dr-100MKII until I saved up for some mics. I use 3 sets of Mics in my signature below, all run about $200 each (Church Audio's are a great starter kit with a poweramp imho).

I now have about 280 recordings uploaded to archive, of which 100+ are from a friend who sends me a dropbox wav file to upload for him. This was great practice using Audacity and CD WAV (both free software packages on the internet) to work on post processing files for my own, and my friends recordings.

Have fun with it and get to know your local venues recording band policies.
AKG CK-61 / CK-62 / CK-63  > AKG c480b / c460b Bodies
ZOOM H6 - TASCAM DR-100MKII & III

1500+ Recordings Uploaded to Archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 09:58:05 AM »
Yes, you don't need a $2000 rig to make good recordings. Here is a TTB show done with Church Audio mics > battery box > Sony M10.

https://archive.org/details/ttb2016-12-02.ca11.flac24

Couple of comments about TTB - the tickets are expensive now so a taper has to be into the band to get them there to record. Second, the crowd can be a real downer if you are trying to tape open. Complaints about mic stands blocking their view, let alone if you want to stand and dance during the show. I'll be seeing them this summer, but am thinking about not recording. We'll see.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:03:04 PM by vanark »
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 11:50:55 AM »
^ agreed. I skipped all 4 of the DC shows for those reasons. Luckily Alex had it covered. The Ryman is a major PITA to tape at so I wouldn't be surprised if nobody ran for those shows.

Also will add another +1 to what everybody has said about not needing expensive gear. Neither of my rigs (stealth or open) top $500. You just have to know how to use it

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 01:48:30 PM »
Welcome onboard the taping-ship :-)

We all started taping sometime, with some cheaper taping-rig, then moved up with some external micĀ“s etc.
The more you tape, the better this hobby gets.
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 03:00:47 PM »
I am planning on the Clapton and TTB show in Greenwich Ct on May 26th

Offline RockStarFool

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 06:50:46 PM »
Thanks for the replys you guys. Yeah TTB crowd can be tough. A lot of obnoxious drunks trying to re live crazy ABB days.  But some guys have got some great pulls over last few months.   The shows that are missing are indeed the Ryman shows....so makes sense now you mentioned it.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 07:36:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Would like to stealth more shows.  Is it my dumb profile name....or are people on here not very social ? 74 views and one reply. Oh well. I'll keep trying. :headphones:
Love your profile name (handle is my term).
I've been wanting to say welcome as I am definitely a TTB fan. I have been a fan of Derek for some time, 1997?? Susan and he have a special place in my heart. I've been a busy opening of March, recorded 2 local shows already and doing one tonight.
I agree about the TTB crowd, especially at SPAC, my hometown shed) but I have made a couple of nice recordings of them in the past 2-3 years.
As others are saying, you don't need expensive gear, first thing is to get a consistent set-up no matter the price. By consistent I mean, reliable. The gear works all the time every time and can be operated if one is in a slightly inebriated manner, which I know no one ever is while taping!
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 09:06:29 AM »
Listen critically to recordings on the archive.  Make note of small differences in mics, capsules used, preamp used (if any) and so on.  Key in on the best sounding recordings with the specific gear you're considering, as those are examples of the possibilities that a certain rig will provide in terms of sound quality.  (Generally outdoor gigs sound better than indoor bc there's no room reverb.)  Archive is your friend and you'll find your critical listening skills to improve the longer you are a taper.  Importantly, ALWAYS trust your own ears more than the opinions of people on ts.com...ALWAYS.  I learned this lesson the hard way and it cost me hundreds following the advice of people that hear differently than I do.  Remember that people almost always have a bias to the gear they own....which causes their opinion to be skewed.

While I agree with others that you dont NEED top level gear to make good recordings, IMHO you do need top gear to make great recordings (when all other variables of live recording are optimized).  Also realize that the base price of entry for a set of great gear is not necessarily linearly proportional to the price paid for good gear.  Generally, to get top level sound, there's a premium to be paid to get top gear.  Stated another way, it might cost 100pct more to get a 20pct sound improvement, if sound were quantifiable.  That said, this generalization has changed a little bit of late as the market for used top end gear has dropped.

Ps:  I'm a rare taper that loves blues but can't listen to TTB.  Just don't like them at all.  Susan...ugh!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:09:48 AM by fanofjam »

Offline RockStarFool

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 08:32:12 PM »
Thanks fanofjam. Sorry you don't dig TTB. I love them...but sometimes even I'm on the fence about Susan's vocals...like not in the mood. But most of the time I really dig it. And Derek and the band are just tops.  Sometimes vocals can be a deal breaker....like for me with Widespread Panic. Not a fan of John Bell.

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 10:32:54 PM »
Thanks fanofjam. Sorry you don't dig TTB. I love them...but sometimes even I'm on the fence about Susan's vocals...like not in the mood. But most of the time I really dig it. And Derek and the band are just tops.  Sometimes vocals can be a deal breaker....like for me with Widespread Panic. Not a fan of John Bell.

I'm a music junkie and love it all.  Blues based rock is a strange genre for me though.  I guess it's bc my love of blues goes back to the originators and to me all the others are fairly generic sounding imitators.  It's probably just bc I've listened to blues for so many years that nothing sounds fresH anymore.

As far as panic, I'm a fan but I'm pretty much one of those ornery dudes that thinks that any Mikey era show is better than any post mikey show. 

That said, there's tons of music out there that excites me.  I'm particular to funk...and in fact recording Dumpstaphunk tonite. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com