Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz/Superscope EC-5 cardioid mics  (Read 190 times)

Online ycoop

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Marantz/Superscope EC-5 cardioid mics
« on: April 08, 2018, 11:38:28 PM »
Found a pair of these at my local salvage yard for $4 a pop. Decided to take them home and see if they still worked. While they have some shoddy re-wiring to convert them to RCA outputs (one goes RCA female and one goes RCA male  ???), they surprisingly do indeed still functions as mics, both when run into my DR-40 set to "MIC" as well as an input into my small bass amp (though I think the level wasn't hot enough to come through aside from when I was speaking directly into the mic). Side note: how hard would it be to rewire these back to 1/4" for someone with no previous soldering/wiring background? Will snap a picture of the specific state of the wiring tomorrow, but it looks like the original wiring was cut close to the original 1/4" plug and simply rebound to the new RCA ones.

There’s almost nothing mentioned of these mics online, and only a single show using them that I could find on LMA. I have uncovered that they are electret condenser mics with a frequency response of 40 Hz-15000 kHz, which I know is quite limiting in terms of concert recordings.

Not expecting any worthwhile concert pulls to come out of them, but I'm interested in learning more about them. Anyone familiar with these, or have any idea about their history or intended use? Thinking they may be useful for home simple home recording.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/3BgAAOSw5jpZh5c7/s-l1600.jpg

(not my image)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:13:42 AM by ycoop »

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Marantz/Superscope EC-5 cardioid mics
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 10:54:40 AM »
I think my Grateful Dead taping buddy used to own a pair of these he got with the purchase of his Superscope PMD420. He never used them all that much, patching out until he met me. I sent him an email to ask.
I would think anyone with soldering gear could help you put some 1/4 inch connectors back on.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 24 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com