Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audioquest Nighthawks  (Read 256 times)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Audioquest Nighthawks
« on: April 11, 2018, 02:52:52 PM »
I tried a pair out this week and was really impressed with the low end that these cans provided. My understanding is that they use a Fostex driver. Might have to pick me up a pair. Any thoughts out there?

Online heathen

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Audioquest Nighthawks
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 03:07:57 PM »
I haven't tried them but I'm curious.  How was the balance between high and low end?  I have the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (heavy on the low end), and the Beyer DT880 600 ohm (heavy on the high end)...I'd love to find a nice balance between the two.
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031s | CA-14 omnis | AT853 cards | Line Audio CM3s | AKG 460/ck61 | Studio Projects CS5
Pre: CA9200
Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 08:52:31 PM »
They have been described by others as dark but I'd call them rich. The high seemed to have truth to timbre. I picked up a pair and can report more later. I have a pair of the AT so I can give you a comparison.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 06:25:02 PM »
I've been listening to them over the past 24 hours. For open cans they keep outside sounds down low. They are also easy to power. I'm liking what they bring and offer up a different perspective than my Hifiman. But if both are right, doesn't that mean that one is wrong? I'll report more later.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 06:43:55 PM »
Ray have you used any of the open Sennheisers?  Can you compare these to any of them?

I have the HD 700's and have been pretty happy with them.  I had 580's that I got stupid cheap but I broke the headband on them.  I chose to skip right past the 650/600 argument and went to the 700.

I'd love to hear the Nighthawks in a side by side comp.
Mics: Schoeps MK5 G MP, Schoeps CCM 4 Lg MP, Schoeps MK8 MP, nBob cables > PFA, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Naiant Tinybox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6, Sony PCM-M10

http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 12:12:13 AM »
Yes, and although I've not heard the 700 as they generally have a not so good reputation and not widely carried. I've listen to the 600, 650 and the new 660s. They are fine but untimately they are missing articulation in the bass. 120 hz, and lower with these cans just don't do it for me.

My Hifiman 400 and 560 are perfected over those. Also these new Nighthawk won out in a shoot out for new against the Sennheisers, too. However, you should trust your own ears.

Hey, the Nighthawks have received mixed reviews, too. I'm glad I tried them. I'm liking them.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com