Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

BeyerDynamic MC-930 Does anything else exist but the next step up ?

(1/2) > >>

steve4134:
Hey Team,

Right now i run Beyer Dynamic MC-930's. What is the next step up that can run on phantom powered (11 - 52 V)  ?  Does such a thing exist ?

Steve

heathen:
If you like the sound of those, maybe Schoeps?  There are a lot of questions here (what are you unhappy with from you Beyers?  what are you looking for in terms of sound?  what about form factor?  what's your budget?  etc.).

Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B):
IMO there isn't a *significant* difference in more expensive mics. Some may sound better to you if you spend more. Some may sound worse.

You're best bet is to listen to a lot of recordings.

I'd check out some of these:

Nuemann KM184 or KM140
Variety of Schoeps (mk4 / mk41)
MBHO KA200
Milab VM44

There are a lot of other options, but that's just what came off the top of my head.

I loved my MC930's and still use the CK930's (pretty much the same mics). The only reason I'd upgrade is just to try something different. If I do I'm not going to expect to be blown away by better sound.

relefunt:
I really love my 930’s. Personally, these are going to be my SDC cardioid mic pair for a very long time. I will let them age gracefully along with my ears and expertise.

Right now i’m looking at completely different types of mics (a pair of omnis with Jecklin Disc, a pair of Schoeps caps with active cables and a box for being sneaky (some security people at venues might say “naughty”), experimenting with boundary mics, etc etc.

Doubt this helped, but I had the urge to let everyone know how I feel about my 930s.

steve4134:
Now that i look back , my post seems pretty stupid. I was just curious if there was another phantom powered (11 - 52 V) mic that was i guess
in the next league. I love my mics. Very happy with cost vs quality ratio. I guess i just really didnt know what i had...

steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version