Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SONY PCM-D100 & Wired LAV mics  (Read 4418 times)

Offline JDW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
SONY PCM-D100 & Wired LAV mics
« on: October 20, 2018, 06:53:25 PM »
I have a D100 and am mulling the purchased of a wired LAV mic which does not have any battery or amp.  It's just the mic and wire.  Have any of you D100 users tested any wired LAV mics that are not powered, plugging them directly into the D100's external mic input and switching the D100's Plug-in Power setting to ON?  Any details of your experience with wired LAVs would be appreciated.  (Example wired LAVs that are NOT powered: Sennheiser ME2, ME2-II, MKE2, Senal OLM-2, etc.)

Thank you.

Offline mnm207

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • website
Re: SONY PCM-D100 & Wired LAV mics
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 09:24:26 PM »
Why not just purchase a lav mic that requires plug-in-power rather than phantom? Naiant, Micboosters, Audiotalaia, MicrophoneMadness and LOM all offer lav mics (or stereo pairs) that use PiP.

I use a couple stereo lav pairs (MM BSM-7 & LOM mikro-Usi) with a D100, and they work well with it. 
// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 04:51:15 AM »
Why not just purchase a lav mic that requires plug-in-power rather than phantom? Naiant,

I believe he was specifically asking about plug in power mics.

The D100 has close to 5 volts PIP and in my experience will run just about any PIP mic without a battery box without distortion.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline JDW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 05:49:04 AM »
Thank you for the replies and for confirming the D100 has 5V Plug-in Power.  After spending many hours watching YouTube video reviews and listening to audio samples, I decided to go with a low cost LAV to test in my D100 and also in my GH5's mic input.  I went with this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSKI46R/

The audio samples I have heard put it right up there with the more expensive Rode LAV.  The Rode has a tad more gain, but when used with the D100 that doesn't matter much.  The name is stupid and so is the purple furry wind screen, but I only care about getting good vocals from my lapel so that doesn't matter much.  I'll report back with my findings after it arrives.

Offline JDW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 06:39:16 AM »
Well, I purchased the Purple Panda wired LAV mic and found it works great with my D100.  I can even plug it directly into my GH5 and I get a strong signal.  The only thing I've noticed is that it records a buzz when I shoot near low-hanging fluorescent tube lighting.  I can clean up that noise just fine with my iZotope Vocal Denoiser plugin for FCPX, but I am curious to hear the experiences of you gentlemen.  Do you record with wired LAV mics (non-XLR) and find you get a slight buzz when recording near fluorescent lights?  I'm curious if this is common to non-balanced wired LAV mics or if my LAV is simply of inferior quality.  Thanks.

Offline vr46

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 07:30:31 AM »
Well, I purchased the Purple Panda wired LAV mic and found it works great with my D100.  I can even plug it directly into my GH5 and I get a strong signal.  The only thing I've noticed is that it records a buzz when I shoot near low-hanging fluorescent tube lighting.  I can clean up that noise just fine with my iZotope Vocal Denoiser plugin for FCPX, but I am curious to hear the experiences of you gentlemen.  Do you record with wired LAV mics (non-XLR) and find you get a slight buzz when recording near fluorescent lights?  I'm curious if this is common to non-balanced wired LAV mics or if my LAV is simply of inferior quality.  Thanks.

Are you satisfied with the purple panda? I have been looking at that mic as a possible external one for a tascam dr 05 device.

Offline JDW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 09:13:30 AM »
When I am not recording around fluorescent lighting, yes, absolutely.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com