Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

ISO: Neutral Studio Headphones??

(1/5) > >>

RyanJ:
So I am looking for a set of well balanced studio reference headphones. Really, I want to be able to edit my recordings on my laptop without having speakers to use. I have these AIAIAI headphones and although they say that they are "neutral," they simply use too much of the lows and when I listen to recordings on other headphones they sound super flat. They also make my ears fatigue real quick because of that and my tinnitus is already shit as it is and I bet this exacerbates it, for sure.

So, if anyone has a good recommendation, that would be awesome. My budget is around $200. But If there are some that you swear by that are a bit more. I'd be down to crack on it. I'd rather ask around here than try and read a bunch of reviews on a bunch of product. Cause I trust people here know what I would like.

Thanks for your help.

dyneq:
Have you attempted to EQ? Which model do you have? If you search a bit, you can usually find a good measurement graph for most models and use that as a baseline to begin your EQ settings.

For your budget, I've heard good things about (but haven't auditioned myself) the AKG K612.

chk:
Sony MDR 7506 or Sony MDRV6 (use the same drivers) have been a standard in studios for years, which is a good indication.  I also like the Audio Technica ATH-M50 series. Sony’s are a steal at around $70-75 on amazon. They are neutral, light and comfortable to wear, and should be on your short list.

heathen:

--- Quote from: chk on October 23, 2018, 07:22:42 AM ---I also like the Audio Technica ATH-M50 series.

--- End quote ---

I have a pair of these, and while I like them a lot they are definitely not flat and not something I'd want to use for editing/mastering. 

Gutbucket:
What is the MassDrop reworked Senn HD600/650 called?  The MassDrop version is right in your budget, those Senn models are fatigue-free, pretty much reference standards, and have frequency balances which should serve to aggravate tinnitus somewhat less than other phones which tend to have a brighter and more forward sound.  Keep in mind that they are open backed (which is part of the reason they are so well-behaved), so no isolation from environmental noise.  If that is important to you, look for a closed-back headphone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version