Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

battery box or 4.7 low sensitivity mod?

(1/4) > >>

soulsirkus:
After I bought the Roland R-07 a few months ago, I still haven't bought any external mics, but I want to rectify that now. A friend of mine told me that I don't need a battery box and someone else told me I only need mics with a 4.7 low sensitivity mod. So I have 4 options really:

1. Only external mics with no 4.7 mod.
2. Only external mics with the 4.7 mod.
3. External mics with no 4.7 mod. and a battery box
4. External mics with the 4.7 mode. and a battery box.

I only tape loud shows, mainly (melodic) hard rock and sometimes metal. Which setup would you guys choose to go with the Roland R-07? Thanks in advance for your advice.

nulldogmas:
Both. You need the battery box to provide enough voltage to get the best performance out of your mics, and you will want low-sensitivity mics to avoid overloading the recorder's preamp.

heathen:
Ideally, 4.7k modded mics plus the battery box/pre.  I use that setup with metal and it does just fine.  If I had to pick one or the other, I'd probably choose the battery box/pre.  I do know some people have run 4.7k modded mics directly into the R-07 with success (I think Darktrain did a Primus show with this setup...?).

nulldogmas:

--- Quote from: unidentified on December 04, 2018, 12:04:06 PM ---On a related note (and I hope I am not highjacking this topic to too great a degree) but has anybody noted whether 4.7 modded AT853(u) cards are much more sensitive than 4.7 modded CA-14 cards?  I have sets of each and the CA-14s seem far less sensitive than the AT853s (to the tune of 15 dbs) when both are used with Church 9200 pres and M-10s (line in).  Sorry again for the stray thought.   

--- End quote ---

I have the exact same sets of mics, and haven't noticed this kind of discrepancy.

unidentified:
Odd. In my case, I get the same levels on the M10 (line in) when I set the Church 9200 pre at 15 dbs for the CA14s and at 0 db for the AT853s.  May as well use a battery box for the AT853s. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version