Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications

(1/39) > >>

goodcooker:
Thought I would start a thread in the appropriate forum to avoid clogging up the Retail board.

Please discuss your mods to the Senn GoPro mic and post pics so everyone can follow along.

Original thread for reference: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=188670.0

From the other thread -

email from Sennheiser -
"The MKE 2 capsules are the same (as the regular mics), but the form factors are different.  The units for the GoPro HERO 4 are integrated into a housing to make them waterproof when used with that camera, and have different connector types.  The Regular MKE 2 are not waterproof, and have either 3.5mm or Lemo connectors"

Specs from the Sennheiser site for the standard MKE 2 -

Frequency response (Microphone) - 20 - 20000 Hz +- 3 dB
Connection cable - LEMO f. SK50/250
Cable length - 1,6 m
Weight - 77 g
Sensitivity in free field, no load (1kHz) - 5 mV/Pa +- 3 dB
Nominal impedance - 1000 Ω
Min. terminating impedance - 4700 Ω
Equivalent noise level - 26 dB
Equivalent noise level weighted as per CCIR 468-3 - 39 dB
Maximum sound pressure level (passive) - 142 dB
Current consumption ca. - 250 µA
Operating voltage (stand alone) - 7.5 V

verified working mini plug wiring  -
Left mic>red wire to tip
Right mic>red wire to ring
The 2 blues and 2 shields to sleeve.

mfrench:
Thanks for starting this. I was thinking about something like this earlier this evening.

I'm not entirely sure about the waterproof factoid for our use, but, could be wrong.
The thing is designed to seal to the back of a GoPro, and has that rectangular O-Ring around the perimeter to create that seal. That seals the unit to the GoPro. The only other exposed point is the rubber mast that exits the box, and that is frequency welded (it appears) to the box, to create a seal.
In our application, we no longer have that sealed environment, unless someone creates a closure "door" to fit the GoPro mounting box. I'm thinking this to be a clearable hurdle with 3-D printing tech.
I could be totally wrong, but, caution should be used until I'm proven wrong.

mfrench:
oh,...and I'm going to name my pairs; MøKE2's

Hypnocracy:
Moke's brass tubing body looks promising...The windscreen is a big draw for me on this item...I'd love to incorporate that into a modified housing...could you cut threads the next larger size tubing to mount the windscreen?

DavidPuddy:
In. Hopefully I will have some time this weekend to tinker - I have a female 3.5mm jack on the way. Has anyone else gotten one of these wired up to a miniplug?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version