Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

article - sample rates/recording and mixing

(1/2) > >>

obaaron:
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2019/4/14/only-1-in-5-of-those-recording-and-mixing-audio-bother-with-high-sample-rates-are-you-one-of-the-few-who-cares

I always run 24/48 have only recorded at 96 a few times don’t think it’s worth the extra space. But 16/44?

Discuss...

perks:
I think it depends on how you listen as well. I listen to DVD-A format at home and 24/44.1 isn't going to work. For anything I record running analog line in to a handheld recorder I record at 24/48. If I'm going to lug around a stand alone ADC > Bit bucket then I'm inclined to go 24/96 - again just so I can listen to 24/48 or 24/96 with DVD-A format.

u2_fly_2:
Great article, thanks.

wforwumbo:

--- Quote from: Ben Turnbull on May 02, 2019, 12:46:46 AM ---Discussed many times.

I used to roll 24/48 but now only 24/44.  I learned that 48 was for some reason hooked to vid production. My stuff never gets linked to vids and if need be... they can convert.

--- End quote ---

It has to do with video capture. Back in the beginning of digital video, 24 frames per second became a standard. 48k syncs much easier than 44.1k to 24 FPS.

This is discussed many times, but I’ll *always* be a proponent of over sampling past what we need. Storage is cheap and easily available today, and YOU may not hve a need for more than 16-bit/44.1k, but in the future someone doing post will thank you. Digital filters and compression/saturation plugins benefit MASSIVELY from increased bit depth and sample rate as this results in less error, which is noticeable and appreciable even to non-audiophiles in my experience.

EDIT: also, up-sampling is bad for many reasons. Much better to down sample and throw out info, than try and reconstruct it into higher sample rates.

Personally, for the record, I run at 24/96 and am considering upping to 24/192.

jerryfreak:
i used to run 24/44.1 but dont release anythign i do in 16-bit anymore, so 24/48 now

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version