Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Desperately seeking help with XLR connection soldering etc...  (Read 3794 times)

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
Here is my situation. I opened up my Star Quads to make sure that the solders were all okay before I started taping a lot this spring/summer. Well, some of the joints needed to be re-soldered, so I thought "this is the perfect opportunity to put some right angles on these.

So I got some used right angles from another pair of cables and soldered them on to the star quads... 1 cable worked, the other was all fuzzy and stadicy. After attemping to resolder them about 3 times I figure that the connections on the used XLR ends are just too damn dirty/used ect...

Has anyone had this happen??? Does that sound like what the problem is? Is there anything I can do to clean the XLR connections? I made sure to get as much of the old solder out and used plenty of Flux... Is there anything I can do to clean the connections out further? Id hate to have to just not use thoes right angles. Plus, Ive been using generic cables for the last few shows, an Roo is coming up in a week so I dont have time to get new connectors. Id really really really like to take my Canares with me. CAN ANYONE HELP ME??? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!            

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Re:Desperately seeking help with XLR connection soldering etc...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 12:31:56 AM »
not sure whats up, but i'd say just redo them again. chop off a little, and start over, just make sure that everything is perfect.  If not and you need some cables i'll be at b-roo with extra's, they arent canare, but work well, never one problem.  good luck man.

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Swampy

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 01:08:16 AM »
Ive resoldered them 4 or 5 times with great attention to detail...

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 01:18:33 AM »
Are you using electrical solder?  Too much solder?  Too much flux will eventually attack the metal it helps the solder to bond to.  For simple wire to wire or connector soldering you probably don't even need flux.  Good electrical solder will have it in it, should smell like pine needles a bit.  If you feel that the XLR's are dirty put a little rubbing alcohol on a q tip and wipe the connetors off. try not to get alcohol on any plastic surface though as it may weaken it.
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 09:54:33 AM »
i would just order a new set of XLR connectors from markertek and start over with the cable.  make sure that the pairs stay twisted for as long as possible coming out of the insulative casing.  

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 09:14:42 PM »
Alex,

Did you get yer cables fixed yet?  I could help ya' out with them possibly over the weekend if you'd need it.  Let me know....

Offline Swampy

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 02:01:18 PM »
Thanks Dan, Ill let you know if I need any help! Ill probably just end up waiting untill after Bonnaroo and Ill just buy some new connectors...

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 01:19:29 AM »
i'll have my soldering iron a b'roo if it comes down to it.  Were you able to find a spare set of xlr's?
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com