Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Digital upload from MD to PC - finally?  (Read 3478 times)

Offline stunt_show

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Digital upload from MD to PC - finally?
« on: August 23, 2003, 08:34:48 PM »
Hi there,

I know there is a raging debate (sort of) about people always asking if it is possible to upload digitally from MD to PC.

Please see:

http://www.xitel.com/product_mdpio.htm

Is this product (MD-Port I/O) the saviour? Has anyone had any experiences with it? From the product descrption, it is possible to transfer (in .WAV for example) from MD to PC.

The cost is about $70USD which is great - considering the only other previous options to digitally upload usually involved buying a MD deck with Optical Out and having a good soundcard, etc.

The only hesitancy I have about purchasing a MD Recorder is that it was (until now perhaps) not possible to digitally upload.

Please, someone with MD experience, is this the next big thing? If so, I am making a purchase of MD Recorder and this product ASAP!

Kind regards,

Adam

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Digital upload from MD to PC - finally?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 08:45:14 PM »
If the MD in use doesn't have a digital output, then this box is just [1] receiving an analog output from MD, [2] doing the A>D conversion, and [3] sending the now-digital signal to your PC via USB:

MD analog out >
MD-Port analog in >
MD-Port AD conversion >
MD-Port USB out >
PC USB in

This isn't effecitvely any different from transferring MD > PC using a soundcard:

MD analog out >
Soundcard analog in >
Soundcard AD conversion >
PC

Bottom line:  if the MD doesn't output digitally, you can't avoid the analog stages when converting MD > PC, MD-Port or otherwise.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline stunt_show

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2003, 08:55:14 PM »
Brian,

Hi there - thanks for your reply.  As you can tell, I am still a newbie to the whole MD / Recording scene.

I just don't have the $$$ necessary to buy a DAT Recorder and then transfer the digital signal to computer then burn to CD-R without loss of quality or any compression of the sound.

It looks as though MD Recorder is the only option for me at the moment as I am still unsure of the Nomad Jukebox 3's capabilities and reliability.

Could you suggest any other setup (complete) that would allow me to get a digital copy of any live music I record to MD or other?  I have a budget of around $700-800 USD at the moment.  I would consider used items if necessary.

I am a complete newbie, needing stealth mics, recorder, headphones, etc...

Many thanks.

Adam

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 09:18:23 PM »
If you really wanna go MD, you can always transfer MD analog out > PC soundcard analog in > PC.  Having the music to listen to - even if not converted ideally - is better than no music!

If you have $700-800, I'd pick up a JB3, personally.  ~$250 and transfer problem solved.

That leaves $550 for stealth mics!  Here's a recent thread on stealth mic recommendations:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=5923

I can't help much more on the stealth side as I mostly tape openly.  But read that thread and ask more questions - we have a good crew of stealthers here who will help out a lot.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 12:17:05 AM »
i'd say screw that thing i mean its cool and all, but edirol makes the same thing the UA-1D, but this ones better cause it uses S/Pdif and optical ins and outs.  but i'd say just spend the extra money to get a UA-5 and you get the same thing, as well as a pre too.... and still i'd say its still impossible to transfer md>pc via USB, other than using a deck that has digital outs, and using a card, or pre like the ua5 and run digital in there, thats the only way that i see to digatally convert md to pc.  so good luck....
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2003, 09:01:01 PM »
buy a jb3 you wont be disapointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the show is over go home please.

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 08:49:23 AM »
Can't a decent used D8 DAT Deck and a decent set of core sounds be had for less than $800. And a Aopen or Zoltrix card for under $40. Seems like a better deal in the long run. Or like the others say get the JB3. I've seen 20 GB ones at Walmart of all places for $179. Search the archives for more Nomad info.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 11:02:32 AM »
i'd say go jb3 as well, but i havn't used one, and i don't know enough about them, i've talked to a few people using them, but i don't know about uploading.  i know you can connect via USB, but can you download, and upload using USB, i think i heard you can via Firewire, if this is so, i'd say go for it, and use firewire...
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2003, 08:56:39 PM »
Keep an eye on ebay if you're going JB3 - Creative's ebay store sells factory refurbs for around $170-$180 for the 20gig model.
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2003, 04:27:31 AM »
AT831c = great stealth mics

even if you find a MD deck or portable with USB out capabilities, it won't transfer as fast as if you had a JB3 or other HD recorder with firewire/usb.

sorry for repeating whatr's already been said

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2003, 04:15:24 PM »
used MD home deck with digi out $100 off ebay
used hercules GT-XP soundcard $60 off ebay
This is all you need if your heart is set on MD
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com