Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD MP-2 Problem  (Read 1698 times)

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
SD MP-2 Problem
« on: December 05, 2006, 01:02:12 AM »
I just had a strange problem with my Sound Devices MP-2 - this is the second time this has happened.  Everything was running fine (KM140s>MP-2>SBM-1>D8) and slowly the left channel faded down to nothing - probably occurred over the course of a couple songs.  Adjusting gain only resulted in a temporary prolonging of the inevitable.  The right channel, meanwhile, worked fine and stayed steady throughout.  I remembered from the first time it happened that if I pulled out the left channel XLR input cable and plugged it right back in that the left channel came right back, so sure enough, unplug and plug it right back in and there it is and worked fine for the rest of the show.  Any ideas what's going on here?  My best guess is something to do with the phantom power in that channel but that's just a guess.  Any insight/advice would be appreciated. 
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Still loves his mic pre's
Re: SD MP-2 Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 02:32:43 AM »
My V2 did that once - 2004 Christmas Jam - fortunately it only happened during setup/level checking - but it was freaky nonetheless. I sent it to Grace and they put it through its paces and it never blinked. Clean bill of health. That probably doesn't help much....

I do know that plugging/unplugging your mics while +48 is engaged can cause damage to the pre. Many have protection circuitry built in, but this can fail after some time. If you have a bit of extra scratch, send it in to SD. Always good to get a clean bill of health on field gear!
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com