Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wind Phasing Question  (Read 4406 times)

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Wind Phasing Question
« on: July 30, 2003, 07:53:58 PM »
Looks like it  is going to be windy up in Maine this weekend.  I'm planning on running Nak 300s split omni but I was wondering if cards would be better if it's windy??   Is the phasing caused by wind less noticeable using any paticlar cap/pattern???  I'm guessing it doesn't but figured I'd ask!!!! ;D
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Wind Phasing Question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 09:45:04 PM »
mike, that doesnt make sense... omnis would pick up wind phasing both in front and behind the mic.... fill me in :-)

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 09:46:27 PM »
Really....???   If that's the case I'd be really psyched but was assuming if anything the omnis would be MORE wind prone. ??? ???
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 09:47:00 PM »
Ahhhh...Jonny beat me over here ::)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 09:47:08 PM »
I think there's a writeup somewhere, lemme try to find it.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2003, 10:47:39 PM »
Yeah, I think there's a distinction to be made here between wind-induced noise/rumble and phasing.  I know omnis are less susceptible to wind-induced noise/rumble.  Not so sure about phasing.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 06:21:01 AM »
Not so sure about phasing.

I can tell you from my GOTV tapes where the early shows were very windy that omni's didn't eliminate phasing. In fact, they probably enhanced it somewhat. I'm not at all impressed with a few of my shows and they certainly won't get passed around (too bad, I thought the Strangefolk and Dickey Betts sets were pretty good too...). In both cases the 4 mic mix probably enhanced this phase problem even more, but all the tapes I have that are really cruddy were when the wind was pretty strong at times. The tapes go in and out from crystal clear to a warm fuzzy dull sound (it's pretty random at times). Since I have zippo problems with this configuration in clubs and had no problems with any of the later sets when the wind had died down, I can only attribute this to phasing problems introduced by wind.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2003, 07:24:48 AM »
Thanks again Mike!   Yes, Brian's right, I was wondering about phasing more than rumble.  Hopefully these big DPA screens I just got will deal with the rumble OK.   I guess I'll have to see what happens! :)  

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2003, 09:40:31 AM »
From my experiences at GOTV, phasing is also very much impacted by how far you split your omnis.  I had mine split 6 feet on the first day and the phasing was as Wayne reported, pretty bad.  It marred my Dickey Betts set also!  After listening to the first day on headphones, I reduced the split to 3 feet on the second day with much, much better results.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2003, 11:03:59 AM »
I ran mk4's ORTF at GOTV,and my dickey tapes came out pretty good, some rumble here and there, but the phasing was not to bad at all.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2003, 11:53:58 AM »
Brian,
Go with the Jecklyn disc!!!! Eliminate the spacing needed that shoudl help. But then again, if it's windy that disc will be a sail real quick :P
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com