Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audio Research PH3SE  (Read 3270 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Audio Research PH3SE
« on: August 05, 2016, 10:31:50 AM »
So recently had an opportunity to try this phono amp as my audio guy got it on a trade in from the original owner.  I was swapping it in place of my musical surroundings phonomea ii.  I was hesitant because I have a fair amount of tubes in my system already, and didn't want to make the sound too airy. I couldn't have been more wrong.  it was magic from the minute I plugged it in.  Soundstage seems bigger and just more enveloping. 

All other musical terms aside, it just sounded fantastic.  Needless to say I ended up buying it, and recently upgrade the original sovtek tubes in it with some NOS tungsrams and couldn't be more pleased.  Amp opened up even more and just has a pop to it.

Given the additions of the new benz cart, vr-4jrs, cables and this preamp this year, I can honestly say my system has never sounded this good.  Damn addictive and expensive hobby...

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: Audio Research PH3SE
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 12:32:17 AM »
Awesome preamp and congratulations for picking it up. I was strongly considering getting one so its good to know that it's working out well for you. Which turntable are you running it with? Don't you have a Nottingham?

I recently got an Acoustic Plan Phonomaster SE tube phono preamp and echo your observations about tube phono preamps in general. I can see so far into the music that it surprises me every time I turn it on. I don't think that my Acoustic Plan is as quiet as your Audio Research however, as I hear a fair amount of tube hiss when I hold my head close to the speaker. Still sounds fantastic.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 08:49:57 AM »
Jamie, yup, I am running a Nottingham interspace jr with a Benz L2 Wood cart.  And your description of being able to see into the music sounds like what I am hearing.  it is almost like the music has gotten bigger if that makes any sense. 

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 09:01:42 PM »
There is no doubt that AR makes some of the best sounding gear out there. Rock solid all around.
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com