Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New to photos  (Read 8740 times)

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
New to photos
« on: October 11, 2004, 10:12:40 AM »
I am looking for a digital camera with all the accesories (CF cards, batteries, anything else I need). I am a relative newbie to photos, I have a pentax k1000 for non digital photos, and am looking to spend around $300 to $350 for the total package. I would like something I can use for awhile as I want to take pictures of my little girl as she grows older. I have spoken with a few of you about this and would like some other suggestions.

I am looking into the canon powershot a85, the kodak easy share cx7530, Fuji FinePix E510 5.2MP,  Fuji FinePix S3100 4.0MP, Nikon CoolPix 4100, and any other suggestions you may have

« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 01:03:55 PM by twoodruff »
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Sparge Master

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Sparge Master's List
Re: New to photos
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 08:26:37 PM »
Not too familialr with what pixel rating would be the best but go optical zoom over digital zoom. 4x seems like it would be enough for what you guys say you will be using it for. Hell even no zoom is usually enough like my folks camerca from 1977 when my oldest bro was born was damn good for most shots.
AT853Rx > MP-2 > modSBM1 > D8
7.5Gallon Pot > Sparging Bucket > 7.5Gallon Pot > Counter Flow Wort Chiller > 6.5Gallon Carboy > 5Gallon Carboy > Cornelius Keg > Tap > Glass > Mouth

Offline Sparge Master

• Sparge Master's List
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 08:28:31 PM »
I will say this too. I like actuall film in a camera. It makes it easier to get hard copies of it. I mean I have had some sweet digital photos in the past and then wanted a hard copy but never got around to it.
AT853Rx > MP-2 > modSBM1 > D8
7.5Gallon Pot > Sparging Bucket > 7.5Gallon Pot > Counter Flow Wort Chiller > 6.5Gallon Carboy > 5Gallon Carboy > Cornelius Keg > Tap > Glass > Mouth

Offline Diggin

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The similarities are frightening.
    • 10,000 Motherf*ckers
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 08:30:54 PM »
Toshiba HD-A2 > HDMI > Panasonic TH-50PX600U
audio to be built soon

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 07:19:28 AM »
Trey...my sister and brother in law just got the S3100  for thier trip to Playa del carmen, Mex.  They took some nice pics with it!   +T to my bro in law for snapping some boobie pics on the beach (no..not of my sister  :P;D
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Andi

• Taperssection All-Star
  • New Rig Soon or Bust!
    • FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 08:08:46 AM »
I have a Canon A80 and I love it....Lots of features for the money.  I would stay away from the A85 which is supposed to be an updated version of the A80.  When Canon did the retro on the A85,  they removed the tilt on the LCD part of the camera.  I am only about 5'7" at best and I cannot tell you how cool its been to be able to see what I am looking at because of the movable LCD.  I would go with the A95 because you get 5.0 megapix instead of 4.0, and the same LCD screen that was on the A80.  There are a few Canon users on the board as well as some specific A80 owners that may agree with me. 

Check this out for more inforamation: A80 http://www.dpreview.com/news/0308/03082003canona80.asp

A85 http://www.dpreview.com/news/0407/04072002canona85.asp (LCD does not Tilt)

A95 http://www.dpreview.com/news/0408/04081905canon_a95.asp
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 08:11:33 AM by cocoapuff »

Levels Dance when the Music is Good!
Nakamichi CM-300 + CP-1, CP-2 >AD20 > JB3

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 09:24:49 AM »
two things:

1. get a camera from a camera company, not a computer company. 2/3 of what you are paying for is the lens.
2. go for optical zoom over pixels at the same price point. while it is true that the more pixels you have the more detailed the pictures will be, if you are using digital zoom some of that will be negated.

i have an olympus c700, i think the c760 is the newerversion of it, i love it but it's got a kinda big form factor and i'd like to have something pocket-sized.

also, don't get hung up on the capacity of the card it comes with, you can pick up a bunch of 128/256 MB cards for dirt cheap.

Offline mikeincharleston

• Look At All These Short Hairy Men...I Feel Like I'm On The Forest Moon Of Endor
  • Too Cool For School!
    • Andolini's Pizza
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 12:43:42 PM »
thanks for the info...i've been checking out cameras and i like what i see in the PowerShot A80 and A95.  i remember when i went to this wedding in charleston last month somone had one of those with the movable screen and i thought it was such a good idea cause whenever i play with my brothers i always have a hard time with the screen.  plus it looks like it has some nice features i would like to have in a camera.  the question is, have you used it at a show?  the camera will be more for personal use, but i would like to take it to the occasional show and was wondering how it was in that situation, i  know my brothers digicam has got some good shots, but the majority are just blurs.  any info would be appreciated.

mike
"I'm not bustin' out a boat oar sober" - Scott 9/21/07

My Trade List  

Upcoming Shows/Events!!!
Phish - N. Charleston Coliseum, Charleston, SC 10/16/10 (First Show In 7.5 Years & Show #33)
The Avett Brothers - S.C. State Fair, Columbia, SC 10/20/10
Dale Waton - Broken Spoke, Austin, TX 10/27/10

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 01:19:12 PM »
the question is, have you used it at a show?

Mike, highwayjill here uses an A80, and she's uploaded a good number of shots to my site, moepics.com.
They're VERY GOOD, IMHO..!

Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 01:23:01 PM »
I used my girlfriends A75 for these shots at moe.down... they look kinda janky due to my resizing them for web but the hi-res versions were nice!  I think you'll learn that the features/settings available on these Canon's rawk... once you figure out how to dial it in for dark concert lighting it can really produce some nice shots.. Of course, you'll still get those blurry ones, especially if your not so steady.

Me playing with exposure:

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 01:49:01 PM »
I have a Canon Powershot G3 and love it. I've had it almost 2 years (since it came out). It is a tad bit bulky when it has to be concealed at a show or something, but takes incredible pics. It is a bit higher than your price range, but very well worth it. I think the G6 just came out.

For a good everyday use camera I would go with something like the A95. You can't really lose either way.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline mikeincharleston

• Look At All These Short Hairy Men...I Feel Like I'm On The Forest Moon Of Endor
  • Too Cool For School!
    • Andolini's Pizza
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 02:27:06 PM »
anyone know any good camera website to buy one of these?  the A80 seems like an older model and probably isn't sold at bestbuy or the likes any more.

mike
"I'm not bustin' out a boat oar sober" - Scott 9/21/07

My Trade List  

Upcoming Shows/Events!!!
Phish - N. Charleston Coliseum, Charleston, SC 10/16/10 (First Show In 7.5 Years & Show #33)
The Avett Brothers - S.C. State Fair, Columbia, SC 10/20/10
Dale Waton - Broken Spoke, Austin, TX 10/27/10

jpschust

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 02:27:51 PM »
try using www.froogle.com

also i use www.computers.com for comparisons in price of all that kind of stuff.

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 02:35:24 PM »
I have a Fuji Finepix S5000 that I have been quite happy with over the last year. I paid just over 500 for it early last September. They can be had for around 350 now. It has 10x optical zoom. It's only 3.2MP, but still takes very nice pictures for the $$.

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 02:35:42 PM »
Watch out for no-name dealers!!!  I wouldn't recommend just buying from the lowest priced store--go with someone reliable.

Personal experience has led me to deal with 17th Street Photo in NYC a LOT.   The guys on the phone are nice people and the website is good, plus I know that the gear is really in stock, it's really what I paid for, it really has it's warrenty, etc.:

Canon A95 for $344

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com