Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable Recorder with best internal mics?  (Read 6777 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Portable Recorder with best internal mics?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 07:26:18 PM »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 07:44:11 PM »
Is there a portable battery operated recorder that is considered to have the best internal mics?

Thanks,
NT

None that sound good recording live music. Get mics.👍

OP isn't asking whether internals are better than externals, nor asking whether to get externals.  Your response is off topic at best.  It's like if someone on a car forum asked what's the best four cylinder car and then someone else comes along and says "get a V6."

That’s pretty much my intent. Because every other source seems to be internal. Pissing in the gene pool.🤮

There is no "gene pool" when you're the only one taping a show. I would love to have all AKG or Schoep sourced shows, but the reality is that isn't going to happen. I'll take an internal mic show over nothing in a heartbeat. Plain and simple.
Personally, I don't like internals but I don't chastise (or judge) those that do use them. Like anything else, I've heard both great and shit sounding shows using internals as well as externals. Each experience is different.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 10:16:41 PM »
um, sorry OP and other thread posters. I let a bad week turn me into a dick. Temporarily.  :facepalm:
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 07:23:05 AM »
$$ Not an issue.

Sony PCM-D100

I have to say that after many (many!) years of reading here, I don't recall anyone saying that the mics of any given recorder were better than the PCM-D100.  I do suspect that's your answer.

Offline Joop

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 08:22:22 AM »
Always very difficult to answer such a question. I don't own handhelds and certainly no recorder without XLR. I do have the Tascam DR-701D. First I thought it was a joke those two holes in the, what they call, front.  I switched them on, just testing what noise I would hear and I was surprised, some older mics I have do worse. So in the end the question will be what are you going to do with it. Handhelds with on top the mics are very visible. The holes in the front of the Tascam could also be venting holes for cool air. If your looking at the basic mic elements, they are almost the same with respect of omni, cardioid  etc. The thing which is more important is the noise floor and how much the output is. So with build in mics it will be the noise floor and if they are omni or more cardioid. I suspect that the output of the build in mics are compensated with appropriate amplifier in the recorder.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 09:48:48 PM »
Did anyone ever compare the Sony D100 built-in mics to the ones in the D1? I always wondered if the D1 was the same mics.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2019, 06:08:25 AM »
I have to say that having owned the D1, D50, M10, D100, D10 together with a variety of Olympus, Zoom and Roland handhelds, then the best internal mics I have ever used were those on the D1 and D100 with the latter being the best recorder overall. For me it's not even something I think about now, the D100 is simply the recorder is use in most situations. It's expensive for a reason.

(I would also say avoid the D10, I thought it was very disappointing and will probably be selling)

As for the question above about the D1 and D100 mics being the same, I wouldn't be surprised because they look identical. Unfortunately I sold my D1 when I bought the D100 so can't examine closely.

One word of warning about the D100 mics though, they might be the best lowest noise mics available on a recorder but they cannot handle loud noise. The D100 is perfect for what I use it for, capturing quiet ambient sounds, and will be great for most music but not very loud rock shows.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2019, 11:42:06 AM »
As for the question above about the D1 and D100 mics being the same, I wouldn't be surprised because they look identical. Unfortunately I sold my D1 when I bought the D100 so can't examine closely.

One word of warning about the D100 mics though, they might be the best lowest noise mics available on a recorder but they cannot handle loud noise. The D100 is perfect for what I use it for, capturing quiet ambient sounds, and will be great for most music but not very loud rock shows.

Thanks!
You know I constantly drool over those D1 meters, but look down on the D1 for having memory card issues and, well, just being outdated compared to what has happened since.
When the D100 came out I thought about replacing all my Korg MR1 units with D100 units because I understood that all of the good stuff from the D1 was there and that I would probably never need another deck, + on board back up mics for acoustic shows or possibly louder ones with the limiter.

Then I moved to a city where most of the shows were louder and I rarely got the intimate 100-seat venues I loved to tape in and before you know it I realized that I haven't used internal mics ever. No, Like EVER. So now I mostly just drool over the D1 Meters, but I'll bet I'm so used to digital metering that it wouldn't matter.

Thanks for the mic info, sorry I accidentally sabotaged this into a sony thread!
once again, lost in all the noise

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com