Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Custom vert bar for coincident TL's (pics)  (Read 8230 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Custom vert bar for coincident TL's (pics)
« on: March 20, 2008, 07:04:37 PM »
Whipped up a vert bar to run my TL's in Blumlein for Springfest in a week or so as a second rig to my more portable bug eye spaced omni setup and thought I'd share some pics.

My stainless welding is a bit out of practice since my former life as a sculpture fabricator for artists out of NYC years ago, so I got one of the guys back in the shop to weld a 3/8" nut and bolt on each end of a piece of heavy wall hydraulic tubing, and drilled two holes to pass 3/8" thumb screws through (made from machine bolts with washers welded to them to from grips) that secure the TL shockmounts.  I can screw the nut end of the bar onto the stud of my stand just like a Shure vert. I'll probably cover the bar in heat shrink to make it less super shiny, but it looks so pretty it's almost a shame to hide.  Before I do I'll probably drill another hole or two..

I measured everything up with the windscreens on, which just touch when assembled as you can see in the photo, but I kind of wish I got the spacing a little tighter between the mics.  There is about 1-3/4" maybe 2" between grills.  I can easily drill another hole and get the grills about 3/4" or 1" apart, which would compress the foam windscreens a bit, but hopefully not so much as to push the mics out of vertical line due to the compliance of the shock mounts. 

Ideally I'd make the grills touch, add a little rubber isolation button between them and use a single, tube shaped windscreen over both mics, which would get the capsules as close together as possible.  Anyone know if such a thing exists? Maybe I could find a tall LD stereo mic windscreen from a LSD2 or something and cut the top off.  I probably won't find that before I leave next Wednesday so I may just make a hole a bit closer for now to compress my existing windscreens, then drill another later if I can find a single foam screen to fit. Ideas on the windscreen?

Am I being too compulsive about the spacing?  Should I just leave it as is?

[edit- everyone knows the TL's are heavy, but holding both rigged on the bar at arms length to take photos got my pipe-cleaner thin arms shakin'  ;D]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 03:27:32 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
Re: Custom vert bar for Blumlein LD's
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 07:39:35 PM »
first, that thing is awesome! +T for diy'ing!

second, I wouldn't stress the spacing that much myself

third, you could make them easily adjustable by making one of the holes a slot instead.  keep it simple ya know!
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 03:22:17 PM »
Turns out the 5/8" stainless tubing fits perfectly into a 5/8" light stand socket adaptor too.  Happy that I've got a great 'below the knee' on-stage coincident setup for these mics now.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 03:25:12 PM »
Another on the roof of the car. Think I should drive around like this, sort-of reverse Blues Brother's style?  A good wind test to be sure.  ;D

Offline Gutbucket

Re: Custom vert bar for coincident TL's (pics) 'The Possum'
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 10:38:04 AM »
After the winds of Langerado '08 experience, I cut a section of faux fur that wraps around the coincident TL's with windscreens on and tucks nicely between the mic bodies and the interior portion of the shock mount.  Better safe than sorry since fig-8 is the most susceptible pattern to wind noise.  If I need it I can wrap & tuck.

So I had this thing set up in the living room last night and went out to meet a friend.  My girlfriend comes home, opens the door and finds this gray furry thing there on the stand with the two cats looking up at it.  A few moments later there is a giant splash out in the back yard.  She runs out to the pool, which is currently a few feet full of rainwater and frogs and sees a triangular shaped head moving around in the deep end.  We're in South Florida, her first thoughts were: baby gator?, big lizard?  Nope.  Turns out a giant gray possum had fallen out of a tree into the pool and was now swimming laps.  He'd swim around to the steps, take a look up then swim on.  He couldn't seem to get the concept of climbing the steps into his little possum brain.  He just kept swimming around and around the perimeter of the pool with my girlfriend and the two cats peering in.  She went inside, the cats stayed watching in fascination.  She went back out to check 40 minutes later and the possum was still swimming laps and thought 'oh great, stupid possum is going to drown from exhaustion' and eventually lured it up the steps with a trail of almonds.  ;D

Have I created a talisman of sorts?  I probably got it all riled up taking these photos a few hours before.. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you 'The Possum'-
[edited for spellin']
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 11:12:41 AM by Gutbucket »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: Custom vert bar for coincident TL's (pics)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 11:11:22 AM »
Looks nice.

What brand is that folding base? I've been searching for something other than a round desktop stand to use with an APIC extension I have. If I get much over 5 feet the round base is not stable enough unless I add barbell weights or sandbags. The base pictured would be a much better alternative and a helluva lot lighter.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 11:38:39 AM »
What brand is that folding base?

The one I have is a Bogen, but it appears other manufacturers make the same thing.  Search for 'backlight stand' and look for the bases for the folding ones.  The arms are steel, so it's heavy for it's size, but very compact.
Here's the one I got from Adorama(It was on sale at the time and the extension + base were cheaper than either alone)
Here's a $25 combo (Impact brand) at B&H pictured below that looks identical.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
Re: Custom vert bar for coincident TL's (pics) 'The Possum'
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 11:54:19 AM »
Have I created a talisman of sorts?  I probably got it all riled up taking these photos a few hours before.. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you 'The Possum'-
[edited for spellin']

It probably thought the faux fur assembly looked like a hot date and needed to cool off.

Great naming idea, BTW.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 11:57:25 AM »
I'll pay good money if you can make more and sell them... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 12:21:40 PM »
I may be able to make a few more Terry.  Keep in mind that this isn't nearly as adjustable (mic angle, vertical spacing) as a Sure vert bar modified with a longer threaded rod extension.  I was planning on going that route but had all the parts on hand for this.

I'll let you know how it works after the true test next weekend.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 12:34:35 PM »
Yeah, but I haven't used this rig on a car-top to record any musical icons like you have.  ;)

edit- this was a response to a since deleted Moke post about car-top recording.
Update: Bar works great, it's now covered with a single strip of 2" black gaffer tape to de-highlight it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:52:31 PM by Gutbucket »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com