Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AD20 configuration on louder stadium shows  (Read 3735 times)

Offline redbook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
AD20 configuration on louder stadium shows
« on: June 02, 2005, 12:22:18 PM »
Hi all,

I have the following configuration:
AT853 (hypers) > PS2 > AD20 > JB3

I am going to do a few stadium shows this summer, loud sound in all of them, and I think I could suffer brickwalling..
What's the recommended configuration for the AD20? Minimum gain to avoid distorsion?
 Is recommended to get any kind of roll off? I have a SP batt box that could drop here, but in that case I should need an attenuator right? Or I should get the attenuator in all circumstances?

Any help is appreciated :)

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: AD20 configuration on louder stadium shows
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 02:22:27 PM »
I run that rig. I would say don't turn the gain up on the AD-20 at all and you should be fine. I've had the gain up a little for loud shows and experienced brickwalling.

If you ran the batt. box you wouldn't use the PS2, but I bet if you just don't use any gain on the AD-20 you should come out fine. Remember the AD-20 has minimum 17dB of gain which should be sufficient to get good levels at a loud show.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 02:22:24 AM »
i've been fine with that setup in some surprisingly loud situations, even up very close, you should be OK. If you're really concerned, you can always get some attenuators to knock down the minimum gain, but if you're stealthing that's another piece of gear to bring in and set up.
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline peterbilt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 01:55:33 PM »
I've never used them, but you may want to look into some line level attenuator cables. When I purchased my MBHO's I had to get attenuators (the switchable Shure ones) and it has definitely allowed for more room with my Ad20>D8.

I used to run the Sound Pro's version of the 853's, without the phantom power mod and on several occasions I had issues with the Ad20 pushing too much, even with the gain knobs all the way down.

And it seems to me that stealthing two cables could be more comfy than a couple 4 1/2" attenuators, and less of a chance of accidental level switching.

Offline Steelcorner27

• Taperssection Regular
  • Audix ADX20-D, DPA 4061, Audix M1290
    • Steelcorner27 Trading Page
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 06:06:41 PM »
I mainly record loud shows with my AD20 I use a M1 so It may not be the same but I find when going digital in I can run my levels up near and at 0 all night long and not have any ditortion, allthough your AT's are alot mor sensitve than my DPA's or Audix's.

Brad

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 10:30:42 AM »
I run the following: AT853RX > PS2 > AD20 > JB3.  I have my AD20 preset for 4 o'clock and have each knob taped down so they won't move. I've had no problems w/ distortion at any loud concert, such as the Black Crowes.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 04:16:12 PM »
I run the following: AT853RX > PS2 > AD20 > JB3.  I have my AD20 preset for 4 o'clock and have each knob taped down so they won't move. I've had no problems w/ distortion at any loud concert, such as the Black Crowes.

4 o clock?   I ran the AT943s > ART Phantom II > AD20 > JB3 last night with the levels ALL the way down (8 `o clock I guess) at a reggae show (not too too loud) and couldn't imagine what would've happened if my levels were that high.  Now, upon listening to the show I could have had them a little higher (maybe 10 `o clock).  Maybe I'm confused here...
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 05:37:40 PM »
when I ran the AD20, I always ran the knobs at their lowest and always got peaks between 6 and 0 on my dats

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 06:59:40 PM »

Worked good for the Dylan show.  ;)

Thanks for sharing. +t
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 01:37:44 PM »
I tend to run the ad-20 all the way down, or just a bit higher and have never had brickwalling.

and damn,  we could start a team AT853rx>PS-2>AD-20  around here there are so many of us using the rig! :o
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 12:43:52 PM »
hehe we should, welcome unitmonster founder member lol

Offline Brendan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 08:24:53 PM »
my rig is At853C's> Ps-2> Jb3... ive yet to record a concert but what i have no idea what cables to buy or anything if i buy an Ad-20.. any help deeply appreciated... am i good with this rig for the mean time.. i want to get out and tape!
PS what do i do for the mean time about gain without the Ad-20.. THANKS

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2005, 11:54:07 AM »
I've noticed that many of us who run the AT853 line have something in common.  Very common to see the AD-20 paired up with the jb3.  I'm real happy with the A/D in my m1 (in the same league a the SBM-1), so I eliminate that piece of gear from the chain. The result is that I have to add transformers in the chain, but it works out perfect where my m1 recording level dial can be set to max at 99% of the shows I attend. That allows the A/D to function at it's best potential.

Anyone know of any head to head comparisons between the AD-20 and the m1's a/d?
edit: I guess you couldn't really do a good comparison unless you can disable the pre in the AD-20

DudeCountry:
I add gain with line transformers. You will probably need them too if your running line-in to your jb3 (like you should be).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 11:59:58 AM by cgrooves »
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2005, 05:25:49 PM »
4, holy shit i think the highest i have ever gone is 10

does your SP box have level adjust too?? you can set the ad20 all the way down and the SP all the way down then adjust the SP box up if need be
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Brendan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2005, 03:53:50 AM »
I've noticed that many of us who run the AT853 line have something in common.  Very common to see the AD-20 paired up with the jb3.  I'm real happy with the A/D in my m1 (in the same league a the SBM-1), so I eliminate that piece of gear from the chain. The result is that I have to add transformers in the chain, but it works out perfect where my m1 recording level dial can be set to max at 99% of the shows I attend. That allows the A/D to function at it's best potential.

Anyone know of any head to head comparisons between the AD-20 and the m1's a/d?
edit: I guess you couldn't really do a good comparison unless you can disable the pre in the AD-20

DudeCountry:
I add gain with line transformers. You will probably need them too if your running line-in to your jb3 (like you should be).

hey, thanks for the help.. i think i have line transformers... ill try to post me rig tmw, thanks again

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com