Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A Neumann Modded Sonosax SX-M2 ???  (Read 4024 times)

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
A Neumann Modded Sonosax SX-M2 ???
« on: February 04, 2007, 12:21:54 AM »
Yesterday, I got a used sx-m2 from Jeff at Cascade. After playing around with it a little, I decided to see what was inside and popped it open. Looks well made, more in there than I thought.

A few things caught my eye. On the end of the lower (longer) PC board. there is a small board of the same width and about 3/4" long attached. This small board was painted red to hide the components identity and on it is printed the Neumann logo and the number "DHC 148 -N  *C3"  It's attachment appears to be hand soldered.

Also there are 6 small resistors added to the back of the board, one of which is over a scratched away trace. There is also a small sticker with "Ray 11.92" handwritten on it. Other than that all, looks to be stock.

Anybody ever have theirs apart? I am curious if they are all like this.
Is Neumann somehow affiliated with Sonosax?
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: A Neumann Modded Sonosax SX-M2 ???
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 08:26:57 AM »
Yesterday, I got a used sx-m2 from Jeff at Cascade. After playing around with it a little, I decided to see what was inside and popped it open. Looks well made, more in there than I thought.

A few things caught my eye. On the end of the lower (longer) PC board. there is a small board of the same width and about 3/4" long attached. This small board was painted red to hide the components identity and on it is printed the Neumann logo and the number "DHC 148 -N  *C3"  It's attachment appears to be hand soldered.

Also there are 6 small resistors added to the back of the board, one of which is over a scratched away trace. There is also a small sticker with "Ray 11.92" handwritten on it. Other than that all, looks to be stock.

Anybody ever have theirs apart? I am curious if they are all like this.
Is Neumann somehow affiliated with Sonosax?

In 1991 Neumann and Sennheiser married

Mic sets shipped with Sonosax products these days are Schoeps and Beyer

I'm pretty sure the SX-M2 wasn't out in 1992, or was in proto...perhaps that's the reason?

Why not write Jaques Sax?
j_sax [AT] vtx.ch     (you know, the [AT] becomes @, and no spaces...)

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 10:54:25 AM »
Well, I did manage to find some pictures of two of these units taken apart.
One was a lemo sax and the other a regular XLR, both have different circuit boards than mine.

Not sure what to think. I guess these might have seen a gradual change in design over the years. How long was this unit in production?

These units are very easy to disassemble and reassemble, if you got the time take a look and see what's in yours.

If I can get my hands a a camera I'll try to post some pictures of the innards of mine.

Bob, I'll try emailing Jaques Sax and see what he has to say. Thanks for his email addy.

Offline jhfinn

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 01:37:23 PM »
hey now,

Just opened my sxm2 up and looked inside.The red painted part you reffer too is painted black on mine,and on the lower pc board theres a green sticker with handwritten RG.No other markings,everything appears to be stock.This is my 2nd sax and bought this one from Frank at Cascade about 7years ago.
I need to send mine in for service.Awhile back I loaned it to a friend,and it hasnt worked since:-(Turrn it on and the overload lights come on and it passes no signal.Jaques Sax reccomended I send it to Vark Audio for service.Just never got around to sending it in.

regards,
Jim
Mics:Neumann KM150x2...LC3KA actives x4
Pres:Audioroot Femto(L)
Recorders: Edirol R44/Sony PCM-D50
Retired: Sony D10pro2 modified/ Sony TCD-D8

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 12:14:10 PM »
Here are some pictures (hopefully).

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 12:32:58 PM »
Lets try this again

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 04:49:46 PM »
The DCH 148 is one of the hybrid modules that Neumann developed for their transformerless microphones, though it isn't the one in their KM 100 amplifier. In fact I can't find any spare parts list from Neumann that specifies this module, so I don't know what it was developed for exactly. I believe that it includes a DC converter for deriving the capsule polarization voltage as well as the FET impedance converter, the balanced output circuitry and the power supply regulation and filtering needed for this circuitry.

Neumann's hybrid modules were documented in two information files (info0046.pdf and info0062.pdf) which used to be available for download on Neumann's Web site, but have since been taken away from public view. The one which included the DCH 148 (info0046) was dated 2000, and showed eleven different modules with their pin-outs. Info0062, dated 2003, no longer listed the DCH 148 or anything that looks quite like it; quite possibly it has been superseded or discontinued.

Anyway I'd assume that Sonosax obtained some number of these through Neumann at the time, and it certainly makes a lot of sense to use these parts in this application.

--best regards
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 05:10:41 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline BWolf

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 05:21:54 PM »
i'd love to hear a KM 140 > sax > 722 tape...
"The best jazz is funky, and the best funk is jazzy" -SMOOTH
------------------------------------------------------
Neumann AK20/AK40s > LC3 > KM100 > Lunatec V3 (MS mod) > SD 722 or Microtrack 24/96  (Hi-Ho Silver Custom Interconnects)
------------------------------------------------------

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com