Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looks like DPA is making a series with removable caps  (Read 31074 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Looks like DPA is making a series with removable caps
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 11:24:13 AM »
reposted from gearslutz:

Went to the DPA booth at NAMM yesterday and was really impressed at what is going on with the new line.

First of all 3 bodies. A short, a long (standard length) and one with high lift and low cut. The last is geared towards the shotgun which is one of the new capsules.

They have cardiod, omni and subcard capsules (as well as the shotgun) for these that are the same capsules that have always been used. A new line of accessories is coming for it- the big thing being that this new line allows for balanced connections from mic to preamp whereas the old compact line was unbalanced between mic and XLR. This should especially help with shielding for RF interference.

There is also a new line of capsules that are less expensive- the new 2000-series stuff. Based off of the compact capsules developed for the lavs, 4099 and others, these capsules are those mics essentially in a "proper" mic housing with the full quality electronics of the 4000 mics we all know an use. You'll now be able to do things like put a 4099 in a compact housing on a real mic stand in a way that doesn't look like a clip-on. The best part about these new capsules is the full microphone will be under $1000. when you want to upgrade to a 4006 capsule, then you are just purchasing a capsule- not a full mic and you can save some cash.

The threads for these capsules are amazing. I've never felt a mic that screws together so cleanly. I love my Schoeps line, but the construction here is truly second to none.

Just another thing to sink my money into...

--Ben
http://www.fifthcircle.com

Offline orechall

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 12:00:46 PM »
it sure is looking like the compact line is going to be discontinued at some point.  to me though one of the best part about the compact line is the fact that there are no bodies in the chain or other points of failure.  I have a hard time believing though that the line was not successful enough to have them continue to be made. 
DPA 4023's & 4028's->Lunatec V2 /Lunatec ACM V3/Sonosax SX-M2/AETA PSP-3(x2)

Hi-Ho Silver Cables and Interconnects

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 12:10:36 PM »
While I love the fact that my 4022s are without bodies, I could deal with bodies seperated from the caps.   If they choose to not make an "extension cable" they have lost me as a future customer for subs/omnis. 
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 12:11:05 PM »
it sure is looking like the compact line is going to be discontinued at some point.

they already are discontinued.  they're no longer on the site

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »
it sure is looking like the compact line is going to be discontinued at some point.  to me though one of the best part about the compact line is the fact that there are no bodies in the chain or other points of failure.  I have a hard time believing though that the line was not successful enough to have them continue to be made.

To be nitpicky, the compact line had electronics in the XLR housing.  So really, you could think of them like other active cable solutions, its just that the active cable did not plug into a typical mic body, but rather a mic "body" in the form of an XLR connector housing.

At any rate, I don't think their "success" had anything to do with it.  I think this is the relevant quote from the gearslutz message Scott posted:

the big thing being that this new line allows for balanced connections from mic to preamp whereas the old compact line was unbalanced between mic and XLR. This should especially help with shielding for RF interference.

My guess is that DPA sees the 406x micro line as the mics that will be used to be nearly unseen for theater/live performance applications.  The compact 402x line was for unobtrusive applications, where it was not desirable to have the mic have a large visual footprint (but not to the point of "unseen" like for performers wearing them at a theater performance like the 406x).

I think the quote above is the issue -- the 402x line was unbalanced between the mic capsule and the XLR, and therefore more prone to interference.  With the growing amount of interference sources (including cell phones), DPA which strives for perfection, did not want to have a product that is subject to as much interference (and resulting poor performance) as the unbalanced compact 402x line.

I'm sure they think that for most applications, either a miniature mic like the 406x will suffice, or for less unseen applications, the new "short body" solution provides as much unobtrusiveness as is necessary.  Obviously our little niche prefers the compact line, but I'd bet they simply were not happy enough with the performance in re: interference that the compact line provided.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 04:55:45 PM »
So who is going to negotiate a group buy from DPA on their remaining stock?  I could use some 4053's at a nice price.   >:D

Offline scb

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 05:07:58 PM »
What Todd said may be correct, but I was also told it was a service issue.  The compacts were easy to damage when servicing and they ended up breaking way too many and having to give free replacements, losing money...

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2011, 12:49:14 PM »
^^^ Maybe that means they have left the door open for a more compact option?  Repairing/replacing some sort of active cable or super-compact body would be cheaper with the caps removed from the equation...I can hope, anyway!

Offline scb

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2011, 05:01:31 PM »
the electronics in the old compacts are already separate.  As Todd said, the electronics are at the XLR end

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2011, 05:38:15 PM »
On the DPA product manual download page, the compacts are shown in "Discontinued" status.

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/download/manuals.aspx
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 02:04:15 AM »
I hope they will make something like the Schoeps KC5 cable in the future..
It will look big if you plug a XLR connector on it..so its quite visible during a live session..It's sort of bad they removed the compact range. Schoeps kept their compact mics while selling the switchable caps. They even have the KC5 option. So DPA should learn something from them.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 10:55:28 PM »
I hope they will make something like the Schoeps KC5 cable in the future..
It will look big if you plug a XLR connector on it..so its quite visible during a live session..It's sort of bad they removed the compact range. Schoeps kept their compact mics while selling the switchable caps. They even have the KC5 option. So DPA should learn something from them.

Yeah great points. Hell even MBHO learned a few things from Schoeps, now they have more capsule options than any other company, besides Schoeps :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2011, 07:43:21 PM »
On the DPA product manual download page, the compacts are shown in "Discontinued" status.

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/download/manuals.aspx

Indeed, the manual is shown under "Discontinued" status, but the 402x series is still very much on the DPA website > http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=187&item=24026

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2011, 11:53:05 PM »
Look at the XLR connector!  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogd9lcj-aoE
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2011, 01:37:56 AM »
Look at the XLR connector!  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogd9lcj-aoE

hot damn!
very nice
like the mini - ultra chopped XLR for the  small body
now we're talkin!
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com