Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: akg 460/480 owners please read  (Read 57012 times)

Offline followinbob

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: akg 460/480 owners please read
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 07:46:59 PM »
lovely response guys. i am a tool and die maker with a cnc (computer controlled machine) shop. i make drag racing parts and also do military work. years ago i was thinking about making cables. i had searched for actives for my 460's. couldnt find them. down the raod i switched from my mbho's to schoeps.
the 550.00 a piece price floored me. but i dont buy cheap gear anymore. so i bought away. when i got them i looked at them and said to myself "i can make these". so this last week i called someone who used to make schoeps boxes. i told him i would make him the collets so he can make boxes again and suggested we make actives for whatever mics dont have then available. not just akg's. i stealth cmc-6/mk4---> sd722. open is cmc6mk4-->lunatec--->
722. was trying to make available what is not. as usual on the intrnet i get the wonderful private messages. NOT! i am not on here much until last couple days. i did not know of other post. i did not plan to make a couple pairs of cables. planned to make as many as everybody needed. not someone playing in my basement. i make parts for a living. hope that answers my intentions.
schoeps cmc-6/mk4----->sound devices 722  stealth

schoeps cmc-6/mk4--->lunatec v3----> sound devices 722  open recording

Offline followinbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 07:50:30 PM »
i am not going to put all my business up in a public thread. anyone serious can call me. pm me for number.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 08:02:07 PM »
What exactly does that mean?  There are 110 pages on this topic, so there is fair bit of interest.  We've seen/heard of colletts being manufactured but have not seen any specific products out of it.  Do you have a solution?  If so, I'm interested in hearing more.  Do I have to call you to discuss it?  Hmmm... seems like an odd approach on a discussion board.  I'll be watching to see what happens - I'd put my money down if it comes to fruition.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline followinbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 08:16:33 PM »
let me see????? do i make a dozen or do i make 200. was just checking interest. i didnt know of any other posts.  i am making the schoeps collets first as i  already have an agreement to do so. plus i need an akg capsule which i do not have. any new york area guys have one i can blueprint???

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 11:28:33 PM »
All of the AKG dimensions are documented in the AKG active threads; 21mm OD with 3/4"-32 threads.  I have a pair of couplings milled by another member, I've had them for a year during which I have released practically no new products.  That's just the kind of year it has been . . . anyway, OP contacted me re: support for actives to which I said tinybox can support any active configuration.  I got a puzzling response, but I presume that still means these proposed actives would be compatible.
I'm interested (although I used my saving for this project on real life stuff)
And I have a tb already wired for some actives so I can test for you ;)
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 11:36:44 AM »
@ OP, dude if you build it they will come but just talking about it is like rubbing salt in a wound.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:05:59 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 12:43:38 PM »
Interested? Heck yeah! Love the 480 sound but I'll wait until I SEE and HEAR some tried and tested. I applaud you for taking this on. Good Luck!
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 03:22:03 PM »
Props to OP for wanting to do this. This community has lacked tool and die maker resource for many years with a few here and there where nothing materialized. If there is any hesitation to the OP, it's simply because our hopes have been dashed too many times.

I think it makes sense to have colettes milled for AKG and Gefell capsules (obviously because they don't exist) and for MBHOs (because i don't like the mini-xlr), but not so much for Schoeps.

With Schoeps, the most expensive piece, far and away, is SCH369 which is the KC contacts (white circular rings) to which active components are mounted on the underside. Two of these cost $380 which is the lion's share of the cost. The outer shell is actually not all that expensive ($60 each) and without the internal components being available, either from Schoeps and sold without the active circuitry (tried many times and very much not possible) or replicated using 3d printing, there's almost not point in doing this for Schoeps from a cost-reduction standpoint. The original bill box/rmod implementations of the colettes are downright awful using epoxy to permanently hold the active circuit inside the shell and not using the correct spacer rings. You can see an example of this in the recent rmod yard sale post. I would never, in a million years, recommend that someone use those active cables because they don't have the proper spacer rings to prevent damage to the colette threads and over time will start to chip, possibly damaging the threads on a good pair of capsules. All of the pieces inside a Schoeps colette are extremely well designed and simply buying the parts from Schoeps makes the most sense.

For this opportunity, I think it would be a good idea to have lots of shells made for AKG, Gefell, and MBHO and we can figure out how to mount the active components and make the capsule contacts down the road.

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 03:33:05 PM »
I PM'd the OP shortly after he posted. He indicated that these would not initially be true "actives" but rather a collette and cabling solution for use with the bodies. Simpler than trying to build collettes with electronics. Promising. I'm hopeful that either this, eleven's or both will come to fruition soon
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »
I PM'd the OP shortly after he posted. He indicated that these would not initially be true "actives" but rather a collette and cabling solution for use with the bodies. Simpler than trying to build collettes with electronics. Promising. I'm hopeful that either this, eleven's or both will come to fruition soon

Well then, that's simply not possible.

The signal from the capsules, without active circuitry inside the colette to buffer the impedance, can only travel inches without serious degradation, let alone across 10-20 ft of cable. If only it were as simple as the metal housing and some cable in-between.

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2012, 03:52:31 PM »

The signal from the capsules, without active circuitry inside the colette to buffer the impedance, can only travel inches without serious degradation, let alone across 10-20 ft of cable. If only it were as simple as the metal housing and some cable in-between.

You're right, I should have been clearer. The collettes won't include an amplifier. Sorry for the confusion.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2012, 03:57:15 PM »

You're right, I should have been clearer. The collettes won't include an amplifier. Sorry for the confusion.

Amplifier? Do you mean a preamp like an nbox? That's actually very easy to build and of course Jon can build a tinybox for anything.

I'm still confused. The colette MUST have an impedance buffering FET circuit inside of the end that connects to the capsule. Without that (aka two soup cans and a string), it will not work.

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 04:07:20 PM »

Amplifier? Do you mean a preamp like an nbox? That's actually very easy to build and of course Jon can build a tinybox for anything.

I'm still confused. The colette MUST have an impedance buffering FET circuit inside of the end that connects to the capsule. Without that (aka two soup cans and a string), it will not work.

Sorry again, I'm not good with the terminology. He indicated that you'll still need the bodies. Perhaps Jon can put something together so that they can run CMR style. [ducks for cover so as not to create more confusion]
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 04:17:43 PM »
No worries and I think I understand pending clarity from OP. Essentially, the goal is to make KC (or kcy) cable clones. This still involves active circuitry inside the capsule side Colette (without this remote capsule are simply not possible) and for Schoeps would require someone other than a machinist to make all the small, intricately designed plastic components that are assembled and placed inside the Colette. Not an impossible task, but requires 3d printing or a plastic mold to re-create these parts or an entirely new internal design.

For akgs and gefells, this is an entirely worthwhile effort. For MBHOs, it's debatable but I'd love to make custom Colette's that work with Schoeps kwon/Nola bars. For Schoeps, I'd just assume by the genuine parts before akg/gefell solutions have been worked out.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 04:19:52 PM by hi and lo »

Offline followinbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »
finally found time to start the actives. working on schoeps parts now.  i need a taper in the ny area that has akg's. need to blueprint mics. contact me if you are close. i am in nj. exit 117 on garden state parkway.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com