Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 460 Capsules & Accessories  (Read 33013 times)

Offline JNT

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: AKG 460 Capsules & Accessories
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2006, 06:06:40 PM »
I don't think any of the adaptors fit the ck6_ caps.  I think the only things AKG manufactures that fit the ck6_ caps other than the bodies are the VR-61/62 tubes and the A61 swivels.
You could potentially hack up and use either the swivels or the extension tubes or a mic body (broken one perhaps) for the fittings and add the electronics.  This would be great for the prototype. I don't think this would be cost effective for production pieces verses having them machined and the pin epoxied in place as JKlabs did it.

Richard I think I have a swivel setting around somewhere that you could use for this if you want it.

Joe
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 06:10:59 PM by JNT »
Mostly retired from taping.

JW Mod AKG 460+CK61/CK1/CK2/CK63>V3>
or
AKG CK1x/CK2x/>MK46>JW MOD C460>V3>

AKG C34>

>R44

"Drinking will help us plan!"  Moe Szyslak

Offline JNT

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2006, 07:14:55 PM »
I think all of this and more has already been posted but this is the link to my AKG information page. I've slowly been consolodating my AKG information, part numbers etc here.

http://users.erols.com/jthierry/akg/

Joe
Mostly retired from taping.

JW Mod AKG 460+CK61/CK1/CK2/CK63>V3>
or
AKG CK1x/CK2x/>MK46>JW MOD C460>V3>

AKG C34>

>R44

"Drinking will help us plan!"  Moe Szyslak

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2006, 08:04:01 PM »
Pics of the ck2x innards and the mk46 innards.  The thread dimensions of the body are M19x0.75mm.  The mk46 uses a 3-pin lemosa, size 0 connector on the cap end.

Excellent!  Wow, that's the innards all right!

2SK118 FET.  good to know.

The capsule looks crazy, some kind of ceramic part around it.

Note: Please be careful with the capsule, the pin coming out the back in particular.  Karl at AKG told me that electrets may lose charge if handled too much.  I don't know though.  I've got a question out on the forum asking this.

Richard

That's correct, Richard.  I bought these already non-functioning (i.e. the electrets had lost they charge).  I dismantled them to send pics to Tony Merrill (SP Audio).  He was going to try and get them up and running for me since AKG wouldn't.  But, I bugged Karl Peschel enough that he finally gave in just to get me to leave him alone me thinks.   ;D

I didn't know Karl had to be bugged to fix these? He was very nice to me, even when I had to re send one. :P

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2006, 08:32:47 PM »
I didn't know Karl had to be bugged to fix these? He was very nice to me, even when I had to re send one. :P

Absolutely.  He wouldn't do anything for me, although I will admit I didn't try all that hard.  By the time I got them I'd already decided I didn't really want them anyway.  AKG Nashville was even less help.  They checked them out and fixed one of the cables, but that's all.  I don't believe they even cracked the shells to look inside.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline ts

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2006, 08:36:27 PM »

Absolutely.  He wouldn't do anything for me, although I will admit I didn't try all that hard.  By the time I got them I'd already decided I didn't really want them anyway.  AKG Nashville was even less help.  They checked them out and fixed one of the cables, but that's all.  I don't believe they even cracked the shells to look inside.

Sorry, I think I confused you. I was replying to Matt about the caps or are we talking about the same thing here.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2006, 08:52:20 PM »
Yep.  I bought them from TNJazz.  He went through a bit of leg work on his end to try and get them fixed, to no avail.  I took over from there and kept corresponding with Karl about them.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2006, 09:03:55 PM »
Yep.  I bought them from TNJazz.  He went through a bit of leg work on his end to try and get them fixed, to no avail.  I took over from there and kept corresponding with Karl about them.

Well, now that I see the insides, it looks like the only way to fix these is by replacing the whole electet element.  No way to just replace the "charge" or "backplate".  I'm guessing they have very limited supplies of new elements, or at least they are hard to track down.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline ts

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2006, 09:22:27 PM »

Well, now that I see the insides, it looks like the only way to fix these is by replacing the whole electet element.  No way to just replace the "charge" or "backplate".  I'm guessing they have very limited supplies of new elements, or at least they are hard to track down.

Richard

That was my next question. What exactly did he/Karl do to these caps to get them working? Thanks for answering.

And thanks to TNJazz and Matt for getting him in the "mood" to work on them.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 09:49:22 AM by ts »

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2006, 11:34:57 PM »

Richard

That was my next question. What exactly did he/Karl do these caps to get them working? Thanks for answering.

And thanks to TNJazz and Matt for getting him in the "mood" to work on them.

So are they actually working now?  All the CK2x are functional?  If so, job well done.  Kudos really only go to Matt for affecting Karl's "mood swing" though.  I think I Emailed him once or twice, then I decided it was too much effort at the moment with everything else I had going on...

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2006, 11:55:29 PM »
Yep.  Karl repaired both ck2x caps and the one non-functional ck1x cap.  All are working now.  Tony's all set now.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline ts

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2006, 07:42:53 AM »
Interesting reading the differences between the CK1 and CK61.  Unless my eyes are deceiving me, the specs seem to support what my ears have told me for years (that the original CK1 kicks the CK61's ass).

Now thats twice I've heard that. So the CK1x series are basically the same as the CK's?. I don't know jack about specs but I do know what my ears like ;).

Yes, TN, all my CKx caps are working. I love the 3x caps, haven't used the 2x yet. My intentions were to run splits at GOTV but the rain kept me from doing it.

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2006, 08:49:20 AM »

Richard

They make new elements for the ck1 still, there is a difference, they are mylar instead of pvc or brass (i forgot which one).  Those pictures are of the original it appears.  I have 4 AKG ck1 bare capsules that someone with a ck1x can have when one of their capsules dies.  1 is busted for sure, but the other 3 are in various other stages which are probably easier to repair since they haven't lost their charge. 

JNT, if your looking for the ck4, i suggest every few weeks do a google search and run through the 10 first pages.  Thats how I found the c34, it was listed on ebay.uk and wouldn't have seen it.  I noticed there were quite a few location sound rental companies who have them, maybe they could bebrought to part with them?

Also I believe Blue makes a figure 8 lomo head too.
mics & cameras

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2006, 10:03:27 AM »

I don't think Lomo and Blue are the same, are they?

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2006, 06:00:19 PM »
JNT, if your looking for the ck4, i suggest every few weeks do a google search and run through the 10 first pages.  Thats how I found the c34, it was listed on ebay.uk and wouldn't have seen it.  I noticed there were quite a few location sound rental companies who have them, maybe they could bebrought to part with them?

Unless you intend to run the ck4 with a 450 mic, I wouldn't put too much effort into finding one. Even with the adapter they have been verified to not work with the 460/480 mics by Jim Williams. The Blue capsule will work with the 460s I believe.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2006, 06:04:36 PM »
http://www.allaudio.org/detail-6996905.html

It is the same capsule used on the 414B-ULS. They were sold in '81/82
then discontinued. I believe only 4 are in the U.S., I have one of
them. They won't polarize from a 460B body because the 10 gig bias
won't charge up the capsule due to internal resistance built into the
CK-4.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com