Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Avantone CK-1  (Read 35131 times)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings
Avantone CK-1
« on: March 03, 2007, 03:12:35 PM »
Just got these in mail today...

1st impression of the microphones (not the sound) is that look and feel pretty good. They seem well built and they sure are pretty  :D The bad thing about these is that the card caps don't fit the cap case. They are to tall with the grill and the card cap is the only one with a grill.

Since I don't have a recorder at the moment, I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to test them out, but Tim is getting a pair which he is planning to use this week. 
Retired Taper

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
Re: Avantone CK-1
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 03:22:46 PM »
These are a tight fit in the shocks too. I don't see the bands lasting that long  :-\
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 04:04:50 PM by Rick »
Retired Taper

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 03:38:04 PM »
Those look pretty sweet!  +t for new toys.

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 05:03:49 PM »
oh and fyi - these are made in China
Retired Taper

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 05:06:44 PM »
oh and fyi - these are made in China
I'm shocked.  ;)
They do look sweet. Price ain't too shabby too. keep us posted.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 11:03:01 AM »
The cardiod cap looks similar to a Peluso hypercard cap, and the hyper and omni caps look like a Peluso wide-card cap.  I'd bet they're identical housings but with different innards.   :hmmm:

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 12:51:59 PM »
The cardiod cap looks similar to a Peluso hypercard cap, and the hyper and omni caps look like a Peluso wide-card cap.  I'd bet they're identical housings but with different innards.   :hmmm:

You can be sure of one thing and one thing only... The design will be taken from somebody. The company I work for has been putting all sorts of things into a chip we designed to prevent reverse engineering, in partiuclar by one company in China who we sell the chip to. They have pretty much ripped off everybody else's design and they have no issues with doing it. Now,  how it sounds is a totally different story. Few if any companies in China are know for quality control, so you can end up with 10 mics all of which have a different sound.

Rick, once you get your recorder back, I am interested in hearing what you think.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 01:09:02 PM »
Now,  how it sounds is a totally different story. Few if any companies in China are know for quality control, so you can end up with 10 mics all of which have a different sound.

Rick, once you get your recorder back, I am interested in hearing what you think.

Wayne

According to Avantone they check each mic to make sure they sound all the same. But that could be fluff
Retired Taper

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 08:30:46 PM »
My vote is for the T+ mod UA-5 so we can hear what the mics sound like on their own.

Sounds good to me too
Retired Taper

Offline KLowe

• CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 08:38:48 PM »
second on the T mod.

+t
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 01:45:33 PM »
mine arrived today.  ;D

i did a quick test with the cards and they seem to be matched very close, within .5 dB of each other, so i'm pleased.

as for the sound of them, i'm going to hopefully run them on wednesday night for Of Montreal.

i'll be ~20' from the stage at most and i was thinking about running hypers for the opener and cards for the main set so we can get a feel for what both sound like.

i have a couple choices for what to run behind them.  anyone have a preference between:

eaa psp2 > edirol r1 @24/44
or
  oade t+ ua5 > h120 @ 16/48

i have no problem doing one or the other..................

Hey Tim, were you able to test these out?
Retired Taper

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 01:52:13 PM »
I thought he was going to do both
Retired Taper

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 03:28:59 PM »
tim had let me know of an error on the upstatetapers tracker, so he might be putting it on there.  I thought he was going to run both as well, but maybe something came up.

Roving Sign

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 09:41:16 PM »
I ran the CK-1s this weekend...unfortunately the gig suffered from horrible sound...so not the greatest evaluation material...

Very nice venue at a local church - but this particular Bluegrass gospel group always runs their monitors too loud - which makes the main PA sound like an inaudible mushy mess...

But I think the recorded results were promising...the CK1s captured the muddy mushy PA mix very nicely!  I ran one set of cards, one set of hypers...I don't feel let down by the mics at all...but I'd feel better with a well mixed gig for evaluation...(and to fluff!)

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 12:30:24 PM »
I got the pair from Tim and hope to give them a full run at the Wanee this year.  Will be good to compare them with my SP-CMC-4 setup.  Anybody have a good recommendation on some windscreens for these?  I think they are 19mm caps.

mrsoul
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 12:42:39 PM »

Roving Sign

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 10:26:08 PM »
Ran the CK-1s for Jerry Joseph last night and I think I can give a good report. Impressed with the bass.

Used the hypers on the opener and cards for Jerry...

I was a few feet from my regular spot - but I think this compares well with some of my better Apex 435 recordings in this room.

These are looking like a great deal...not a piece of junk like the Behringer C-2

For the time being - I won't hesitate to use these as my main set of mics...

Archive link to follow...

Roving Sign

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 07:56:04 AM »
Jerry Joseph solo...these are the cardioid capsules...

http://www.archive.org/details/jj2007-03-31.avantoneck1

1 set - I ran the on-mic -10db pads.

2 set - started with the pads off (1st song) - but put on the -20pads on my preamp...(song 7)

Roving Sign

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 09:16:10 AM »
PRICE INCREASE on the CK1 kit!!!

was 99.99

Now 149.99 (still worth every penny at this price!)

high fives to everyone who got in on the intro pricing!

Im loving these things...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 09:20:42 AM by Roving Sign »

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 09:19:17 AM »

was 99.99

Now 149.99

I was just going to say these sound pretty good for $200 a pair. for $300 they sound pretty good though too.

+T for the sample. I'm going to use mine for the 1st time this Friday. I'm going to use the omnis though
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 09:21:39 AM by Rick »
Retired Taper

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 09:25:27 AM »

Sounds good, much better than I would have expected from $99 mics!
Good find.  :D
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 02:38:42 PM »

was 99.99

Now 149.99 (still worth every penny at this price!)

If you try here, http://www.proaudiosolutions.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=avantone&Search.x=0&Search.y=0, you might get them to honor their web pricing.

EDIT: Web pricing has been updated to $149. Hope you got 'em cheap.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 11:10:49 AM by CliveStaples »
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 05:42:20 PM »
6 caps, 2 mics for 200-300$ and they sound that good.  They sound better than Oktava's to my ears and oktava's are twice the price......

great starter mic. for noobies....JK.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 06:32:22 PM »
I am running these for the first time on Thursday for King Hippo in Columbia at the Five Points gig.  Free show so I have nothing to lose...  I want to get these warmed up for Wanee!  Thanks for the archive upload, gonna listen to these tonight.  T+

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 05:27:19 PM »

What was your location relative to stage / PA / SBD?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Roving Sign

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 08:33:30 PM »

What was your location relative to stage / PA / SBD?

I was about 15ft from the stage and about 3 feet left of center...

The PA stacks are perhaps 25 feet apart - tall arrays...

NOS pattern...

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 07:58:58 PM »
Ok, I ran these for King Hippo at the Five at Five Points show in Columbia, SC on 5Apr2007.  Ok at times but I think the mic pad is a must... at least for this setup running the omnis. 

Check it out here.  I did run a low pass filter on Audacity post.  The PA was muddy at best but I think the Avantones did fair here.  Would really like to hit it with a better house sound.  I was about 40 feet back from the stage which is nothing more than a corner of the street. 

Check out how the CK-1's handle the 3 Harleys cranking up to the rear left of the setup in track 2. 

These definitely are more sensitive than my AT853s with the same Beachtek DXA-10 preamp.  I am taking these to the Wanee next week and plan to run the cards at the Mushroom and hopefully split omnis WITH THE PAD and Bass rolloff activated for the Peach stage. 

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 08:10:51 PM »
I think the mic pad is a must... at least for this setup running the omnis. 

I agree. Last night I had to run line-on R4. I still can't believe I got a decent pair of mics with hypers, omnis and cards for $200.

Rick
Retired Taper

Roving Sign

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 11:42:22 PM »
Frequency plots now online...

Roving Sign

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 11:43:54 PM »
Also - looks like Avantone has a stereo mic in the works - CK-40 -

...link but - no details on site...yet.

Offline blindman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
    • Taper Stuff @ Fecundswamp
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2007, 02:21:11 PM »
My CK-1's showed up yesterday... I got them from the link provided on an earlier reply from Pro Audio Solutions ... http://www.proaudiosolutions.com/product-p/avant-ck1.htm I see now the price jumped to the $149.00 price... I got mine at the $99.00. As far as service gos with P.A.S, I ordered mine on Easter and they shipped the next day, Monday. I got an email with a FedEx Ground tracking number that kept coming up as "No records found". I was in no hurry, so I waited till yesterday to call and got the owner who was as confused as I was becuase he was sure they went. He had to get with one of his guys who was out and would call me back... 5 minutes later FedEx delivers to the business next to me and they bring it over... I am opening the box to check them out when P.A.S. calls and we all had a good laugh. When the tracker was entered inmy email there was an extra digit added by mistake. But I give them A+ for quick ship and prompt personal service.

First impressions, was nice wood box, not great, nice... but who cares about the box? The mics have nice weight to them and the paint job is a nice touch. First thing I noticed was the pad/rolloff switches are NOT recessed. I thought mic makers figured that out in the 80's? Now I have to be aware every time I put them in a clip to check that the switches didn't get knocked. Then I take off the cap and it comes off easily, but I think the 3 threads on the barrel is cutting it a little too close... maybe one or two  more... but on taking all the caps on and off, I found regular care during the procedure would be fine... and the contacts on the barrel and caps look pretty good to me... the screen inside the barrel is clean and had no wrinkles or defects... i like it when things are like that.

The extra caps, omni & hypercard, come in a plastic container. One of mine had been opened...they used some cheap ass tape in China and it left a sticky residue on the plastic so when you opened the box it pulled the lining up with it. Normally this shit bothers me, when I buy something new I want to be the first person to breathe on it after it leaves the magical land of origin... but it was minor and the mic was fine, so it was not used (I hope) but just opened to look at maybe. The container for the caps has a lid that clicks on, I liked how Nakamichi did it... the case for the nak caps can be firmly held with two hands and the lid twisted off... for the Avantone box you have to try and get a fingernail under one side and try to pry the lid off... the caps are held tightly in place inside in their own little wells, even with that I  hate having sensitive equipment in a box that could slip or fly out of your hand when opening. Some may think this trivial and I must be an idiot if I can't open a box, but in the dark when you are tired and trying to rush you want things to be as easy as possible. I will try to find a padded box I can fit the caps in that can slip into my bag.

The SSM mic holder. The thing is heavy. Solid metal... the entire thing... except for the bands, of course. When people complain about import things being flimsy, Avantone comes out and gives you a solid mic holder that will break a toe if you drop it on yoru foot. I think this is a positive and a fault. Each SSM weighs .50 lbs. with mics that is .80lbs... each. I would like something sturdy, maybe a heavy grade plastic that wieghs half as much. But Kudos to Avantone for a well made mic holder. Oh, and they come with 4 bands on each side of the clip... I don't know if these are meant to be used or meant to be extras but that is how they ship them... I think 2 per side is enough and when I put the mic in with just 2 per side, they worked great. I will keep the extras as back-ups in case of lost or breakage.

How do the sound? I just got them, so I put my Peluso's on channels1&2 and the CK-1's on 3&4 of my R4... I have the busman mod + he added the noise floor mod when he had it in for service recently. I set the mics up next to each other and just played a little guitar and talked and yelled and I will stop short of saying singing beacuse it just can not be called that... The CK-1's are bright, but not annoying... I kept switching back and forth and when on the CK-1's I could hear this weird noise... at first I thought it was an electrical sound... so I switched cables and swapped the inputs with the peluso's... still there... I grabbed the mic to adjust it and the sound stopped... damn, I thought... some kind of ground issue... so I unplugged the R-4 and went on batteries... same   noise... I left my office to go do something for a minute and when I walked into the kitchen the noise I heard on the mics was getting louder! I stopped to listen...the damn ceiling fan over the kitchen table was on the slowest setting so it was making this weird low oscilating noise that I did not notice... that was it... I turned off the fan went back to my office and the sound is gone. That was with the Card caps... the hypercards were better at rejecting that noise from over 20 feet away in the next room!! but the hypercards sounded more matched to the Peluso's, and I say this about just listening to open air room noise and my guitar... and the omni's were fine but again, I won't know 100% till they are in a club recording loud music... and I will update as soon as I do.

So far I am happy with them and can't wait to test them out... If you are going to get them soon, I would call around and see if anyone will give you the $99 price...at $300 for a pair, I might just op to pay a little more to get the SP's C4's.

Pros:
      - mic + card/hypercard/omni cap + suspension mount for $99
      - SSM is heavy as shit.

Cons:
      - SSM is heavy as shit.
      - cheap box for caps that could easily be fumbled
      - non-recessed switches on body... come on, recessed ones can't be THAT much more... can they?

pics: (edit: I made the pics smaller... if you want to see larger images, you can find them here http://fecundswamp.peanutonastring.com/ck1/ )

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 09:59:22 PM by blindman »
Then: Nakamichi CM300/CP-1/2/4 + Soundboard -> Audio-Technica AT4462 -> Sony TC-D5M
Now: Avantone CK-40 + Avantone CK-1 (Busman MOD) -> BusR4 (T+NF Mods)
Backup/Stealth: Sennheiser MKE > CA-9100 > Tascam DR2D

Roving Sign

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2007, 02:42:33 PM »
Thanks for the review!

Agree - the switches are the least inspiring feature - time will tell...I had to use my fingernail move the switch...It didn't seem like they could be easily bumped. They seem to have some "spring" to them - so they sort of sink into the body if you bump them - kinda wierd. When I put the mic in the shockmount, I used the back to guide it through to avoid putting the cap end/switches through the shock webbing...

I also thought the hypers sounded really nice...and I think the card has a bit wider pickup than what I was used to with my Apex 435 LD cards.

I am also impressed by the bass on these mics...seems nice and tight.

I've yet to run the omnis...

Offline blindman

• Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2007, 03:04:56 PM »
Thanks for the review!

Agree - the switches are the least inspiring feature - time will tell...I had to use my fingernail move the switch...It didn't seem like they could be easily bumped. They seem to have some "spring" to them - so they sort of sink into the body if you bump them - kinda wierd. When I put the mic in the shockmount, I used the back to guide it through to avoid putting the cap end/switches through the shock webbing...

Yes, they are springy... at first I was worried about pushing them in, then I wondered if they are suppose to do that??? If they were firm, they might break easier... the spring allows them to sorta get out of the way of things sliding past.

I mentioned it because while adjusting the mics I did accidently hit the rollof switch and then had to undo all my adjusting to get in there to reset it again.... and yes, push the mic in tail first when putting it in a shockmount....clips have the open part at the top to it should not be an issue.

I should also mention, I bought these mics because of a limited budget and all I wanted was a pair of omni's to use under my Peluso's. I have been looking for a long time and was resigned to holding my cash till I could get a pair of C4's... I really wanted a pair that had alternate caps so I didn't have a single purpose mic. I don't record very often anymore, but when I do I want to have a half decent pair of mics. It was finally listening to this post on the Archive that convinced me these mics would work fine for my needs.... and I knew that the price would begoing up soon, so I decided to jump while the jumping was good.

Collection: JerryJosephandtheJackmormons
Band/Artist: Jerry Joseph and the Jackmormons
Date: March 31, 2007 (check for other copies)
Venue: Guliffty's
Source: Avantone CK-1 cardioid/NOS > dbx386 tube preamp @ 16/44 > CO2 > JB3
Then: Nakamichi CM300/CP-1/2/4 + Soundboard -> Audio-Technica AT4462 -> Sony TC-D5M

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2007, 03:19:06 PM »
I ran the omnis last Friday and I was really impressed.

http://www.archive.org/details/guster2007-04-06.flac16
Guster - 4/6/2007 Stubb's BBQ (Outdoors): Austin, TX
Source: Beyerdynamic MC930 > Lunatec V2 + Avantone CK-1 (omni) > Busman Tmod Edirol R-4 (24/44)

Retired Taper

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2007, 03:21:22 PM »
Hey Rick, did you listen to the CK-1's by themselves?  Happen to have a clip of that?
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2007, 03:22:55 PM »
Hey Rick, did you listen to the CK-1's by themselves?  Happen to have a clip of that?

Yeah, I'll try post a clip somewhere
Retired Taper

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2007, 03:36:29 PM »
http://www.zshare.net/download/ck1sample-flac.html

Guster
Stubb's BBQ (Outdoors): Austin, TX
April 6, 2007

Source:   Avantone CK-1 (omni) > Busman Tmod Edirol R-4 (24/44)
Mic Info: DFC, about 9 feet up @ FOH mixing board
Lineage:  Edirol R-4 > USB > WaveLab 5.0 (mixing) > SoundForge 8.0 (Editing/EQ'ing) > CDwave > FLAC

Sample: C'mon (30 second sample)

Notes: It was really windy at this show and to be honest the sound would have been
much better had it not. While there is no wind noise on the recording it does suffer
from the mics being blow around. Even Gordon, the sound guy, was complaining that the
PA mix suffered.
Retired Taper

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2007, 07:24:45 PM »
Also - looks like Avantone has a stereo mic in the works - CK-40 -

...link but - no details on site...yet.
http://emusician.com/show_rept/2007_winter_namm_report/
The Avantone CK-40 is a transformerless stereo FET mic ($499) with 1.25-inch diaphragms, Class A electronics, three patterns for each capsule (cardioid, figure-8, and omni), a -10 dB pad, and an 80 Hz rolloff switch.

based on the prices in the article I would expect the street price to actually be $499. It quotes mix cubes at $349 a pair which is the street price. It could be an interesting alternative to the lsd2.

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
mrsoul,

are those your ck-1s i see in the Wanee pictures thread?  I am really interested in hearing your recordings with these mics. I just ordered a pair for myself yesterday.

Also, someone mentioned that the rubber bands on the shockmount looked a little flimsy. I am willing to bet that if one ever breaks, Avantone would replace it immediately. They seem like a very customer oriented company. If you haven't already, check out this thread. http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,82944.0.html

Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline majormidi

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Glen -National Sales Manager - Avant Electronics
    • Avant Electronics
Re: Avantone CK-1 - from Glen @ Avant Electronics
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2007, 03:03:02 AM »
Hello guys,

I'm glen heffner - national-international sales manager with Avant Electronics and I received an email yesterday from one of your members.  Today, he wrote me back and suggested that I check the forum out and I'm glad that I did.  First of all, I want you to know that I don't do much in the way of live stereo recording since most of my recording was 24 track studio work and then on to digital workstations.  But I remember some of my favorite sessions were when we could convince bands to let us do a two-track recording session instead of a multi-track one.  It took much longer to set up since we would work with effects, eq (if necessary), compression and so on, but we got to "shape" the sound.  Of course, we used multiple mics but we had to deal with "bleeding" and it was much different from working a 24 track session. It was great fun!

When I was fortunate enough to to do remote 2 track recording, I almost always used a pair of Neuman U-64's which I loved.  I mostly recorded orchestra projects with just those mics, brought the 2 track masters back to the studio, dumped them onto the 24 track and then would often overdub a string quartet or additional instruments onto the tracks.  The 1st recording that I did was exactly as described above, (for the Miss Noth Carolina Beauty Contest), and I was absolutely scared to death as to how the mix would sound.  Back then, I mixed on JBL 4311's, but one of my assistants told me not to worry  because he had just the speakers to mix on.  So, he left, and in about 15 minutes he was back with a pair of JC Penny speakers.  I finally was able to speak and I said something like "are you crazy" and  his exact words were "these speakers sound just like myr Magnavox Color TV".  Well, we hooked them up, I mixed only with those speakers and about a week later, I heard the results and, (now, I'm going to brag), it sounded great on my RCA Color Television too.  I didn't have the advantage of Auratones or our own MixCubes of today...

Sorry, I didn't mean to invade your space with my stories.  But I did want to do is address the "O" rings in the SSM Shock Mount that comes with the CK-1 because there seems to be a  bit of confusion about them.  We actually sell the SSM Shock Mount seperately at a price of $29.99 and that is one of the nice additions that you get with the CK-1.  However, when you buy the SSM from a store, it is in a plastic, hanging wall display.  The same amount of "O" rings are attached to the SSM plus there are an additional 4 included, in case you lose them.  The reason that we have all the "O" rings on the SSM is because we felt that was the best place for them.  Actually, they are quite sturdy and should last a long time.  No, you most certainly don't need all of the rings on the CK-1 at one time although you will get the best isolation using all of them!   

A few more things I should mention is that I don't get to visit forums very often but I want ALL OF YOU to know that we, as a company, sincerely appreciate your comments, both positive and negative.  We really try to "catch" everything possible, but for example, the Cardioid cap was just a bigger cap.  It is usually the default capsule in studios, so we had a choice; either get a plastic case that would hold the Card but that would allow the smaller cap to bounce around.  So the biggest cap ended up on the CK-1 and we used the plastic case to hold the other two, which were the same size. 

FYI, all of our microphones, our MixCube monitors and studio accessories carry a 5 year warranty! (So don't worry about those "O" rings:-)  The only thing that isn't covered for 5 years in our line are the ribbons in our CR-14 Ribbon Mic, but that's because ribbons can be damaged in many different ways, (like not using a pop-filter when singing through it) and trying to warranty a ribbon mic to someone who doesn't understand ribbon mics would be a very expensive problem for any company. However, Avant Electronics will re-ribbon the mic at cost for our customers.

Last, but not least, I want to say that after reading through the messages in this group; it is really apparent to me that you guys are very knowledgeable.  I was also very impressed with the recording(s) that I heard that a couple of you were getting from "less than perfect" sound systems and still you made it sound really good.  Honestly, I'm excited "tapers", (I guess that's an appropriate term), are considering using our mics.  As a sales manager, I'm excited to discover this area that I had not even considered before.   But now that I'm aware, I will make sure that we, Avant Electronics, will "take note" of what you guys do.  You all sound like great people and it feels good to get my eyes opened further.  For this, I thank you all.

Oh, if you made it all the way down to here, I want to let you know that the gentleman who first contacted me has a link with my original response to him at: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,82944.0.html
where our Stereo CK-40 microphone is mentioned.  I'm going to attempt to put a picture of it up there for you along with some data.  It lists for $599 but sounded fantastic at the "Nashville Shootout".  The special secret is that we also have another Stereo Mic called the CK-33 that wasn't even introduced at NAMM.  The main difference is that it is a 32mm Capsule vs. a 35 mm and it is Cardioid only.  It will retail for $399  They look almost idential with the exception of silver switches on the CK-40.  Anyway, I'm going to attempt to put up some information on the page link.

Again, I appreciate ALL of your comments and you can bet that we will be pro-active to in our mic design work going forward now that we see what you guys do!

-glen heffner
national-international sales manager
Avant Electronics
www.avantelectronics.com
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 02:32:28 PM by majormidi »

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2007, 08:58:13 AM »
Hey Glen  let me be the first to welcome you to our board.   We look forward to all of your products and are grateful that you have come across our little community as a result of one of our members.  We as a community are always looking for good quality mics at a good price and when we stumble across a mic such as the CK1 we spread the news through out our community.  I am sure you will find many a beginer and seasoned taper begin to start to use your companies mics.  Further more you will find no shortage of tech talk here and I would expect some questions regarding your products to start flying now that you have discovered our board so please check back on a regular basis.  Again welcome!

Ps.  I am excited to see the info about the CK40 and the CK33.  I am personally looking for some LD mics and have been sitting on the fence.  The CK40 might just knock me off that fence.  I am still not sure if I want to go LD stereo or individual LD's....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2007, 10:39:41 AM »
Here's some more fluffing of the CK-1's.  Listen to Derek and Susan from the Wanee with the cards in XY preamped by the Beacktek DXA-10.  Not bad at all.  The split omnis I did with Nickel Creek on Friday turned out incredible. 

I can't believe how good these mics sound with a good system in front...

Derek and Susan LMA Wanee 2007

Team Avantone!

Offline majormidi

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Avant Electronics
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2007, 04:41:25 PM »
Hi "O" and thank you for the Welcome! 

One never knows how he'll be addressed when he comes in and in most cases gets perceived as "another manufacturer with products to sale" more than anything else.  As I've said, in my case; I got an email  question from a guy named Christos and when he told me what he was doing, I realized that I had not even given consideration to a great area of recording!  The following day, he gave me the link in a 2nd email and I just realized that this was something that I was interested in as a engineer and musician. 

I'm in here because I found the talk interesting and the people really "knowing their stuff".  In addition, I got to hear our CK-1's on live recordings in a lot of different ways.  That was just something that would take weeks for me to personally setup.  So this place is just a great "hang".

Like I said, I don't get out much, but I want all of you to know that we're the most approachable company in the business.  Test us.  Christos did and I believe I answered him really quickly.  It all boils down to respect and I've got lots of it for the people that I've "listened to" and heard record in here.

peace out,
-glen
Avant Electronics
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 05:08:27 PM by majormidi »

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2007, 05:07:24 PM »
Welcome Glen.

This is truly a great place filled with smart, smart folks, pretty much all of whom place very high value on retailers who are straight.  So thank you so much for that.  I look forward to hearing more about your products (especially those stereo mics.)
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline bgalizio

• http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2007, 05:08:39 PM »
As I've said, in my case; I got an email  question from a guy named Christos and when he told me what he was doing, I realized that I had not even given consideration to a great area of recording! 

We're a small, but demanding group. I'm sure everyone here will appreciate your input and your being here for questions, etc.

Welcome!

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2007, 07:08:19 PM »
Hi "O" and thank you for the Welcome! 

One never knows how he'll be addressed when he comes in and in most cases gets perceived as "another manufacturer with products to sale" more than anything else.  As I've said, in my case; I got an email  question from a guy named Christos and when he told me what he was doing, I realized that I had not even given consideration to a great area of recording!  The following day, he gave me the link in a 2nd email and I just realized that this was something that I was interested in as a engineer and musician. 

I'm in here because I found the talk interesting and the people really "knowing their stuff".  In addition, I got to hear our CK-1's on live recordings in a lot of different ways.  That was just something that would take weeks for me to personally setup.  So this place is just a great "hang".

Like I said, I don't get out much, but I want all of you to know that we're the most approachable company in the business.  Test us.  Christos did and I believe I answered him really quickly.  It all boils down to respect and I've got lots of it for the people that I've "listened to" and heard record in here.

peace out,
-glen
Avant Electronics

Yes, you guys are very approachable. Probably the best customer service I've ever experiences and I don't even own your products..... well, i kinda do. I ordered a pair of ck-1s yesterday :) 

Glen, I'm glad you took my advice and decided to check out the board. Thanks again for your quick response.

-Christos
Edirol R-1

Offline majormidi

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Avant Electronics
Re: Avantone CK-1 and MY LAST LONG STORY
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2007, 07:11:48 PM »
You are so right Ryan and thank you too.  I use to try to and participate in groups but there were always spoilers who weren't interested about being on topic or were more about just being mean.  This group of folks, (I hope you guys can handle my NC expressions:-), just speak what they feel, provide the details, and keep the conversations going.

I like a good laugh as well as anybody and it won't offend me, if we, (meaning Avant Electronics), can't be liked by everybody.  It's a fact of life that some people will always have a different opinion and that's that.  Now, I've got to tell you my engineer story (talking about going off topic)....  It's a long one but I think it makes a good point....

For years, I owned a 24 track recording studio and I had 3 guys that worked for me.  One was my assistant engineer, the other specialized in micing.  He could find the sweet spots, detect all the noises coming from a drum kit and deal with them before the 1st mic had even been brought up on the board.  My other guy was the 2nd engineer, running SMTPE time-coded machines to other time coded devices, handling punch-in and outs, and was learning our Neotech console also.  Being in a small town in NC, you had to be creative if you were going to make a living as a studio.  While we had a really great facility, being successfull was really going to be a challange and this was around the early 80's.  But successful we became almost immediately.  What really did it for us was the fact that I had been a booking agent in the Southeast for many bands.  Once I left that job, I had all of their names and once the studio was up and running, I called the bands and explained how often the better groups had lost gigs because of a recording.  It was true! 

There were many times when the agency that I had worked for had booked our usual 150-200 bands out on any given weekend.  But occassionally, a major club would be in danger of having a huge crowd on a Friday night without a band if not for the booking agents.  For example, I remember getting a call from one of our most popular bands called "Whipstick" and they were stuck in Tennessee in heavy snow and would not be able to make it to their gig in Asheville, NC.  All the bands that we knew and trusted were booked and it was 2:00 in the afternoon.  Well, good booking firms always have a room much like a lounge with a nice playback system to handle just about any kind of format of those times (reel to reel, cassette, etc.). The booking agents, (there were 12 of us), would gather into the listening room while a secretary would start pulling out tapes of bands that were hoping we would book them. (We required a tape, picture, info). We always filed based based by state and then type of music, so we knew who could handle a job even as late as 2:00.   

We went through about 4 tapes and I heard an incredible band and I started telling the rest of the agents that we didn't need to look any further. I was met with mostly puzzled expressions. Back then, lots of agents weren't even qualified musicians at all ,(I have a degree in Piano), and they mostly all agreed that the band "just didn't sound right".  What they were hearing was a really horrible recording.  Noisy, mixed poorly; but the talent was there... Around the 8th tape, a nice clean sound came up from a band that I wouldn't let play in my backyard in a hurricane and they were all loving them.  For the life of me, I couldn't get it across that they were judging the bands by the quality of their tape recordings, not by the quality of their musicianship.  I raised such a fuss that the president of the firm said to "bring the girls in"; referring to our 6 secretaries.  They played a song by each of them and every single one of the girls chose the high quality tape by the poor band!  I really learned something that day and it served me well with my own bands later on!

So, for about two weeks I called bands and I told this story to each band that I spoke with and then offered them a day in the studio for  $200 or two songs.  Little did I know that we were going to book up almost instantly!  We recorded over 300 bands (and often worked days and nights to get two groups done), and needless to say, we became quite proficient at having a "standard setup" that we knew would sound good.

Now, here's where the story finally starts moving along...[/
We had been doing this for a month or two and once we had the headphones set for aband we would ask them to just play through the song one time.  Of course, we would be recording the track and tweaking a great sounding monitor mix in the control room so they could come in and hear the basic sound and hope to inspire them too.  On this particular day, all 3 of my guys as well as myself was especially pleased at how great the bass guitar sounded, full, rich, thumping and the band was cooking. We were fascinated because it was a Peavey guitar and we could be shocked also since we had a Rickenbacker 2002, Fender Jazz, and vintage P-Bass in the studio. (Still, we couldn't wait for the session to end so we could check out that Peavy guitar).

After they finished the tune, we rolled the tape back and just played a minute of the music because we had learned that it was always a thrilling time when the band heard their selves back on the headphones.  I pushed the talkback button and told them to come on in for a minute to hear how it was sounding.  They literally ran out of the studio....

Once in the Control Room, we played the tape and within 20 seconds, I could hear "high 5's" being giving and excited talking and so on.  This was music to our ears because it meant that now we could relax and concentrate on getting proper levels, tweaking compression, EQ if necessary, in other words, the real engineering process could begin.  But I happened to turn around and there was the bass player with a very concerned look on his face.  I lowered the music and asked him what was wrong and he told me that something wasn't right with the bottom end of the bass and to add more bass.  Well, it didn't need more bass because collectively my group of engineers, who all liked different kinds of music and  very good engineers, felt that the bass was also "in the pocket", just like me.  So, I glanced at all my engineers to get their attention to let them know that we were going to the "monkey button".  The "monkey button" was channel 32 on our console that we used for tweaking nothing because nothing was coming through that channel. It was a FAKE CHANNEL.   So, I enabled EQ, popped on some other LED's and then starting slowing turning a knob.  All of a sudden, the bass player goes "Whoa, that's too much.  Bring it back just a little bit....That's it, that's it...Stop right there....Now, gimme a bit more top end".  Once more to additional EQ LED's and knobs I went and I watched him listening intently, again getting something like "that's better, a bit more....yes,  OK, just a tiny bit more".  All of a sudden he started grinning, looked at me, slapped me on the back and said, "I'll take it". Immediately he joined the celebration that really revved up once he was happy so  I told them to get out there and "kick".  All my engineers looked at me, slightly grinning and I told them that the simple fact is that "you can never underestimate the power of the human mind". I mean he heard the tone changing.  For all I know so did some of my engineers!  It's strange but true...

For better or worse, the bass player raved about the sound all night and they did a great recording...!  My point?  People often do the same things with microphones as well as foods (I bet you can ask someone if they want more salt when you're actually putting in sugar and they won't notice), music, you name it.  Long story, but a good one to mull over the next time an "authority" tells you that only his ears really discern true quality.  (He might be that bass player:-)[/font][/font]

glen
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 06:15:05 PM by majormidi »

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2007, 07:16:40 PM »
Nice story majormidi. Welcome to tapersection.

Jeff
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2007, 07:51:20 PM »
T+, good story...

Offline majormidi

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Avant Electronics
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2007, 08:13:32 PM »
thanks guys...

It feels good here...

-glen

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2007, 09:55:50 PM »

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2007, 10:15:22 PM »
Here's some more CK-1 fluffing fer ya!

Rose Hill Drive Wanee 2007 LMA

Keller Williams Wanee 2007 LMA

i checked out your Derek Trucks earlier.... sounds real nice. I like what i hear.
Edirol R-1

Offline blindman

• Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2007, 12:29:59 AM »
Welcome Glen!

Thank you for joining the forum and sharing your experience.

Appreciate you explaining the "O"-Ring thing... I almost lost one already, they really fly if you accidently let go of one while putting it back on... I had to shoot another one on purpose just to watch where the first one went. Tragedy narrowly averted.

I have a ton of stuff I want to ask/write about... I am totally fried... my basement flooded on Sunday and I am wiped out... just got the heater working again and sat down to relax and read the forum before some sleep... but before I run, and I am sorry if this was asked and answered...

Is there a date yet when the CK-40 will be available for purchase? I read where you said it will list for $599 and you will share more data... maybe the date is part of that... anyway, thanx.

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2007, 01:10:25 AM »
Here's some more CK-1 fluffing fer ya!

Rose Hill Drive Wanee 2007 LMA

Keller Williams Wanee 2007 LMA

Ok Folks if you haven't checked out the Rose Hill Drive set.....Do your self a favor and do it.  I can't believe how good these mics sound.  Aside from some small phase issues I am sure due to wind, these mics sound fantastic....Clear, Balanced, a wide frequency response...Dam I might have to get a pair.  Move over Studio projects, move over Oktava...Their is a new kid on the block and he is about to take your lunch money!!!   six caps, two mics for 300$ pinch me Am I dreaming...   This is without a doubt the best bargin going right now in our community.  T+  I can't wait to hear the CK40!!!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 01:12:28 AM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline KLowe

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2007, 01:52:32 AM »
I have a ck-1 unused...still sitting in the box (opened only to look at it).

99 bucks takes it.  I'll eat the shipping and paypal
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

Offline rdflash

• I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2007, 01:54:13 AM »

boy oh boy, this guy wants to jump on this...
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2007, 08:16:03 AM »
Move over Studio projects, move over Oktava...Their is a new kid on the block and he is about to take your lunch money!!!   

Karma K10 wants some of that lunch money too.   The Avantones are cheaper and have removeable capsules, but if you are looking for a cardiod, check these out.

$248 for a factory matched and verified pair - ($99 bucks for a single)   http://www.karmamics.com/k10.html

Sample:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/yocbpc

Karma K10mp (DIN)-> Oade P-mod-> iRiverH120

MPB

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2007, 09:02:53 AM »
thanks guys...

It feels good here...

-glen

Glen

Re-offer your release price of $99 to ts members & watch the sales fly

Offline KLowe

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2007, 09:16:23 AM »
but don't do it until I sell my mic over in the yard sale..... Please!!!

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
Here's a sample of the Nickel Creek set from Wanee 2007.

The CK1 omni's are split about 15 feet at 8feet up, about 40 feet from the stage/center.

It's @ 240k lame mp3 compressed, about 1:50 sample.  It's amazing to my ears.

Please remember that NC does not allow for electronic posting of their music, so that's why I made it a short sample.  I will only leave it up for a few days.

Split Omni CK1 sample

Picture shows where I was from the stage.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 04:05:19 PM by mrsoul »

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2007, 04:21:56 PM »
Re-offer your release price of $99 to ts members & watch the sales fly

Hell ... for $200, I might grab a pair and put 'em on the shelf until I can score a decent preamp.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2007, 08:23:35 PM »

Hey man,
I'll take that off your hands...
I'd like to check one of these out for myself!
I'll send you a PM.
 ;D
/james

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2007, 01:11:28 AM »
Here's a sample of the Nickel Creek set from Wanee 2007.

The CK1 omni's are split about 15 feet at 8feet up, about 40 feet from the stage/center.

It's @ 240k lame mp3 compressed, about 1:50 sample.  It's amazing to my ears.

Please remember that NC does not allow for electronic posting of their music, so that's why I made it a short sample.  I will only leave it up for a few days.

Split Omni CK1 sample

Picture shows where I was from the stage.

you need to change your tag line to Avantone CK-1s; tested and passed with flying colors
Edirol R-1

Offline majormidi

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Avant Electronics
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2007, 12:25:34 PM »
Beautiful recording! 

Offline rdflash

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2007, 01:29:50 PM »
Glen,

I was just wondering and thinking of something that seems such an easy thing for your company to do to help you guys and the tapers here...

I noticed that you do not sell your product on your website, but rather through audio vendors (from looking at your page several times and not finding how to buy it on there).

Why dont you offer reduced prices for member here at TS.com - Which would cut out some of the middle-man markup.

Thus, making more profit for your company and reducing financial cost for the tapers.

Seems win/win to me, but I do not know how feasible/simple it is for you if you outsource various functions of your company.

-jon

Offline bgalizio

• http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2007, 01:55:44 PM »
Glen,

I was just wondering and thinking of something that seems such an easy thing for your company to do to help you guys and the tapers here...

I noticed that you do not sell your product on your website, but rather through audio vendors (from looking at your page several times and not finding how to buy it on there).

Why dont you offer reduced prices for member here at TS.com - Which would cut out some of the middle-man markup.

Thus, making more profit for your company and reducing financial cost for the tapers.

Seems win/win to me, but I do not know how feasible/simple it is for you if you outsource various functions of your company.

-jon

Offering a pair in the "Gear Loaner" section could be a good idea too!

Roving Sign

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2007, 02:41:14 PM »
Glen,

-jon

There you go again... ::)

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2007, 03:39:22 PM »
agreed ^^

price is right.

Roving Sign

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2007, 03:41:36 PM »
if you guys cant afford to pay a measly $300 for a pair of brand new ck-1s with three sets of caps then you should think about buying something else.  instead, y'all are trying to haggle with the man who put in all the work to make them available at such an affordable price when you should be thanking him for making them so affordable.  $300 is already super cheap and if you want the company to stay around buy the mics at the current price point.

Fuggin' A - What he said ^^^^^

Worth every penny!!!

And seriously - I see Sweetwater carries the Avantone Mixcubes...I'll take Sweetwater as my middleman anyday!!!

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2007, 03:50:32 PM »
Second that emotion.  I would pay $300 again if I had to...  Great mics.

Now, anybody want a set of AT853s with hyper/card/subcard, windscreens, T bar and directional mounts, AT phantom adapters??...
Gotta get some money for that multi-pattern mic Avantone (CK-40) is working on for us  >:D

Offline rdflash

« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2007, 04:38:34 PM »
Sorry, but the eliminating the middle man would definately help Glen and somebody like a poor taper.  Even if it does not help a taper - it is putting more money in Glen's pocket - which is a benefit to him...not hagglin' the guy on the price - I probably wont purchase new mics anytime soon...just was trying to help Glen out and others...sorry for being thoughtful!

Just a suggestion - sorry for thinking outside the box.

I love when people like you rovingsign sip haterade...

Offline blindman

• Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2007, 04:41:15 PM »
Glen,

-jon

Don't get too ruffled if Glen doesn't jump on this. Avantone might work the same way I do... I don't sell to end users because I sell only through established Pipe/Valve/Fitting distributors. I will not quote or sell to end users, OEM's, Fab Shops, etc because I protect my distributors. I will ship direct for my distributors, so they have confidence that even if the end user knows it is shipping from my warehouse, I won't turn around and take the customer away on the next sale. Not all companies work this way, every business is different... AND I am not saying that Avantone works this way, just pointing out a possible and legitimate reason they might not want or be able to sell direct to us... or anyone for that matter.

but it sure would be sweet if they could.

Roving Sign

« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2007, 04:47:06 PM »
Sorry, but the eliminating the middle man would definately help Glen and somebody like a poor taper.  Even if it does not help a taper - it is putting more money in Glen's pocket - which is a benefit to him...not hagglin' the guy on the price - I probably wont purchase new mics anytime soon...just was trying to help Glen out and others...sorry for being thoughtful!

Just a suggestion - sorry for thinking outside the box.

I love when people like you rovingsign sip haterade...

Go Away!!!

Offline rdflash

« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2007, 04:59:11 PM »
Glen,

-jon

Don't get too ruffled if Glen doesn't jump on this. Avantone might work the same way I do... I don't sell to end users because I sell only through established Pipe/Valve/Fitting distributors. I will not quote or sell to end users, OEM's, Fab Shops, etc because I protect my distributors. I will ship direct for my distributors, so they have confidence that even if the end user knows it is shipping from my warehouse, I won't turn around and take the customer away on the next sale. Not all companies work this way, every business is different... AND I am not saying that Avantone works this way, just pointing out a possible and legitimate reason they might not want or be able to sell direct to us... or anyone for that matter.

but it sure would be sweet if they could.

I would offer online purchasing power on their website...but, then again I do not own the business ;)

Offline blindman

• Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2007, 11:08:47 PM »
I would offer online purchasing power on their website...but, then again I do not own the business ;)

Think of it this way... if they did, we might end up paying the same price or maybe more for the mics... The added cost of creating the staff and resources needed to sell direct would defeat the purpose... music stores and websites are already set up to sell direct to customers.

Also, if I owned a music store and I had to compete against my own supplier, what would my motivation be to carry that manufacturer's product?

Offline rdflash

« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2007, 11:20:09 PM »

Think of it this way... if they did, we might end up paying the same price or maybe more for the mics... The added cost of creating the staff and resources needed to sell direct would defeat the purpose... music stores and websites are already set up to sell direct to customers.

Also, if I owned a music store and I had to compete against my own supplier, what would my motivation be to carry that manufacturer's product?

Valid points.

Offline nem

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2007, 02:21:01 AM »
If they were purple I'd already have a set.
sometimes they get deep inside a jam and there is no such thing as up or down, just a momentary endless floating in perfect space
BSC1>cables!>acm660/busmod660/D7

Offline majormidi

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Avant Electronics
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2007, 12:46:01 PM »

Bingo!

-glen
Avant Electronics

Offline rdflash

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2007, 01:10:24 PM »

Bingo!

-glen
Avant Electronics

Beer mark-up is roughly 23 percent...from working and doing inventory and prices on the computer at my relative's beer distributor...I would imagine audio equipment is pretty high  >:D

Offline busterr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2007, 08:48:58 PM »
Just a quick heads up here, I just ordered a pair of these for $99 a piece to play around with from here:

http://www.frontendaudio.com/Avant_Electronics_CK_1_FET_Pencil_Microphone_p/9683.htm

Although I do feel $149 a piece is still a great deal for mics with 3 caps.

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2007, 09:14:16 PM »
Just a quick heads up here, I just ordered a pair of these for $99 a piece to play around with from here:

http://www.frontendaudio.com/Avant_Electronics_CK_1_FET_Pencil_Microphone_p/9683.htm

I ordered a pair earlier this week from Star Pro Audio at that price. Two days later they sent me an email saying that 1)the price has gone up and 2) they were out of stock.  So I bought KLowe's for $99 and then picked one up $149.

But, I honestly didn't mind paying a little more
Edirol R-1

Roving Sign

« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2007, 09:21:35 PM »

I ordered a pair earlier this week from Star Pro Audio at that price. Two days later they sent me an email saying that 1)the price has gone up and 2) they were out of stock.  So I bought KLowe's for $99 and then picked one up $149.

But, I honestly didn't mind paying a little more

Cool - be nice to hear the impressions of a SP C4 user... ;)

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2007, 03:44:32 AM »
if you guys cant afford to pay a measly $300 for a pair of brand new ck-1s with three sets of caps then you should think about buying something else.  instead, y'all are trying to haggle with the man who put in all the work to make them available at such an affordable price when you should be thanking him for making them so affordable.  $300 is already super cheap and if you want the company to stay around buy the mics at the current price point.

Really! & With shockmounts.

T+
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2007, 07:50:04 AM »

Really! & With shockmounts.

T+

Definitely.  This package doesn't pussyfoot in the least from what I read and hear.  If a camera wasn't next on my list, you can bet I'd be on these right now.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2007, 02:35:53 PM »
Just got them in the mail!

My new twins.....

Some shots of DIN-A for those hyper moments (yes, I know those aren't the hyper caps on there)

Free Umphrey's and Biscuits show tomorrow for Green Apple Fest. I just Might have to give these a go!
Edirol R-1

Roving Sign

« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2007, 10:55:20 PM »
Ran onstage with the Avantone CK1 cardioids last night - ORTF

http://www.archive.org/details/londonfile2007-04-20
(I think tracks 6-8 - the soundguy, who runs in mono, absentmindedly pushed the unused main fader (right) down...I caught it a few songs later...)

Only Vocals, Drums (3 mics) and Keyboards in the soundboard mix - the rest (bass and guitars) is the 'tones from the stage...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 10:06:28 AM by Roving Sign »

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2007, 09:05:07 AM »
I just listened to all of the ck1 recordings in this thread.  Damn, these are freaking nice microphones.

BTW, Keller Williams is a rambling fool   :really_sucks:  I can't stand his style.  First time I saw him I really enjoyed the show, now I just wish he would fall of the planet or join a band.

Roving Sign

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2007, 10:15:03 AM »
Note on shockmount bands: (Ken pointed out that there are extras...shipped on the mount - so take few off)

These work MUCH BETTER with the extra bands removed...much easier to place the mic in the mount and it feels like it has a little more "bounce" in the mount...excellent!

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2007, 10:20:16 PM »
So i just got back from my first taping experience w/ the ck-1s.  Beautiful sunny day in Chicago, so I headed out to the Green Apple fest in honor of earth day. Lots of free concerts at the Lincoln Park Zoo, so I figured I would go and catch Umphrey's McGee. Overall I'm not a huge fan, but I enjoy them enough to make it my inaugural run. First off, the paint job on these mics look really sweet in the sunlight. They have a sparkle to them.

Someone in this thread mentioned something about one of the rubber bands shooting off on their shock mount. Yeah, that happened to me as well today. Popped off and have no idea which direction it went. I wrote it off as a loss. I also didn't have any the extras in my gear bag. Not the end of the world. So the spot I had was dead center maybe 35-40 feet back from the stage. Overall a great taping location. I ran the cards in DIN and put on the dead rats as it was a little windy today and I haven't purchased windscreens for these yet.

As I'm sitting here now listening to the show, all I can say is wow!  Very full sounding through the entire spectrum. I ran the CK-1s > apogee mini-mp > edirol R-1. A very nice sounding recording. Once I get a chance to track it out and such, i will post in on the LMA for those interested in hearing yet another great example why these mics are awesome!
Edirol R-1

Offline blindman

• Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2007, 10:55:45 PM »

they are now $149 at Front End Audio.

Offline blindman

• Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2007, 11:04:51 PM »
Someone in this thread mentioned something about one of the rubber bands shooting off on their shock mount. Yeah, that happened to me as well today. Popped off and have no idea which direction it went. I wrote it off as a loss. I also didn't have any the extras in my gear bag. Not the end of the world.

That was me... I was in my office and I had no idea where it went... looked around for a minute then sat down and shot a second one on purpose to see where it went... they both landed about a foot apart behind a wastebasket.

I think Glen mentioned something about replacements... search this thread or email Glen and ask about get a replacement.

I will be interested to hear your recording... hope you post a note to this thread when you get it up to LMA.

later,
Michael

Offline KLowe

« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2007, 11:13:03 PM »
FWIW ....a round of black electrical tape over the bands keeps them on nice and secure and also blends in flawlessly with the shockmount.

Glad the CK-1 I bought and sold is already getting good use.

I'd love for someone to run a head to head vs the AKG 390 series..... (which I own and is the reason I decided to part with my ck-1)

Since I am now CK-1 less.....I'd be happy to send someone the 390 series for a few mic comps.....

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2007, 08:08:44 PM »
Here is another ck-1 show for your listening pleasure.  I'm very pleased with how it turned out.  It was VERY windy that day, and while I have no wind noise (dead rats) there is some phase issues that can be heard. Very nice bass response. I was maybe 35 feet from the stage dead center.

http://www.archive.org/details/um2007-04-22

let me know what you folks think....

ck-1 (cards) > apogee mini-mp > Edirol R-1 16bit/44.1k

Edirol R-1

Offline blindman

• Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2007, 12:47:40 PM »
Here is another ck-1 show for your listening pleasure.  I'm very pleased with how it turned out.  It was VERY windy that day, and while I have no wind noise (dead rats) there is some phase issues that can be heard. Very nice bass response. I was maybe 35 feet from the stage dead center.

http://www.archive.org/details/um2007-04-22

let me know what you folks think....

ck-1 (cards) > apogee mini-mp > Edirol R-1 16bit/44.1k

not bad... thanx for posting!

livin_grateful

« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2007, 02:58:14 PM »
hey ya'll, i just started TEAM AVANTONE  over here http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,83637.0.html
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 05:22:03 PM by livin_grateful »

Offline busterr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2007, 03:08:47 PM »

they are now $149 at Front End Audio.

Just got my ck-1's in the mail yesterday, Front End did honor their earlier advertised price of $99 while it lasted.
Hoping to run them tonight and tommorow night, both indoors at small venues. I'll give the hypers and the cardioid caps a run and post my findings and possibly a sample.

Offline blindman

• Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2007, 11:34:45 PM »
I did a A-B test on Friday with Peluso CEMC6's & Avantone CK-1's. I had originally intended to bring the Avantone Omni/Hyper caps and do some experimenting, but I ended up leaving the caps and my camera on the floor while I was packing. Oops.

We went to see my old friends, Los Manatees, play at the Sandtrap Bar and sometimes grill in Limerick PA. I set up center of the band directly in front of the soundboard. It was about 15-20 feet back. The ceilings are low, so I just put the mics somewhere between the heads of the crowd and the ceiling.

The Peluso's were about 6" behind and about 3" higher than the Avantone's. I ran both sets DIN. I recorded onto a R4 w/ busman T-Mod and Noisefloor Mod. The Peluso's into 1&2 Stereo and the CK1's into 3&4 Stereo. The first set I ran the mics with NO attenuation and the R4 set to Line In so I was able to control the gain a little. For the second set both mics had their attenuators set to -10db. I was then able to set the R4 to Mic In. It was during this fiddling with the attenuators that the Left Avantone mic had it's bass roll off switch accidently clicked on. I noticed the difference during the show, but thought it was a quality problem with the Avantone's attenuation circuit. I didn't not notice till later that the bass roll off had accidently been turned on. I will be doing another round of tests sometime and will be sure to test the attenuators again to be sure it really was the bass roll off during the show and not after I was breaking down. They are playing outside in a couple weeks so I want to test the Omni's.

I opened both the peluso and avantone files in audacity, cut out one song, normalized the song then added fade in/fade out to each... exported as flac and then converted the flac to mp3. NOTHING else has been done to the files in the way of compression, eq, etc.

If I get some time, I will pick a song from the first and second sets also for comparison.

See what you think...
http://fecundswamp.peanutonastring.com/ck1/

The song I chose is called "Running From The Lawman" and was written by Will Hodgson, the singer guitarist in Los Manatees.

If you want more info on the band, http://www.losmanatees.com & http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=los%20manatees%20

Offline h4nk3f4n

• Taperssection Regular
  • We Spozed Ta Be Tite!
    • My Page
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2007, 02:21:41 AM »
First off I gotta say WOW I can't believe how good these recordings sound, I think these are gonna be my next purchase right after a digimod ua-5!

My second comment would revolve around Glen, Man dude that avatar pic of you looks just like Bam's dad Phil Margera!  And while I'm at it let me thank you for bringing quality affordable mics to the great people here at TS.com.

h4nk3f4n
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 02:24:21 AM by h4nk3f4n »
CA stc-11 cards > CA 9100 > Edirol R-09

Offline DaveG73

• Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2007, 10:45:28 AM »
I came very close to buying a set of these off raoulduke, but I didn't.

Having listened to some of these recordings, I wish I had.

Dave.
Always Taping Under The Influence.

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

livin_grateful

« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2007, 12:39:37 PM »
dont forget we do have team avantone...over in the team section....

Offline blindman

• Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2007, 09:49:37 PM »
I see the CK-40 is available to ship...

http://www.proaudiosolutions.com/product-p/avant-ck40.htm

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2007, 10:39:23 PM »
Just an FYI but the windtech 1200 series wind screen fits nice and snug on the ck-1s.

Edirol R-1

Offline busterr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2007, 12:20:08 AM »
From the Team Avantone thread:

I would like to add, seeing others talking preamps for these mics, I recommend avoiding running UA-5's with the ck-1's, as there is something either with differing impedences, or the UA-5's just don't have quite enough juice to properly run them. I can't say for sure whether it is just the Oade modded UA-5's or all of them, but for some reason they just don't match up well.
Just wanted to give others a heads up if they were considering running that particular combo, as they work beautifully with my V3 and many other preamps as you can tell from the samples throughout this thread.

could you be a little more specific as to why you think the UA-5 is no good for these mics? I don't own a ua-5 or plan on getting one, but i'm just curious as to what issues you have. Have you tried multiple ua-5s? or just one. These are a great entry level (price wise at least) mic and the ua-5 is a good entry level (again, price wise) pre so several newcomers may benefit from more elaboration.

This may even be suited for a thread in the pre/ad section as well, but specifically the problem I've had with my Oade W+ mod ua-5 and the ck1's is this: I cannot get even close to decent levels with the ck1's, with the gain knobs fully cranked the levels only reach about -25 to -20db max.

I cannot speak of other ua-5's(stock/digimod/busman mod/ other Oade's...etc) just mine, as I don't have access to another. I can say my W+ ua-5 gives perfect levels(even clips) at ~ half gain with my akg 414's which has lead me(and avant's support team,from what they said) to the conclusion that the ck1's don't match well with it, be it the phantom current draw or just mismatched impedences. I was not able to wrangle any specific specs as far as the actual phantom requirement in terms of milliamps from avant, so to me that question is open. And like I stated in my above qoute my ck1's work beautifully w/ my V3.

I was able to end up with a good recording using this combo(w+ua-5>ck1) but it took a 23db boost, a good bit of noise reduction(which I would rather not use), and then another db boost(all of this in post) to make it happen. To me that's just too much f'ing around with what should be a clean pull.

I do believe this matter deserves some further investigation, but did want people to know the issue I've had with this setup. I'm not opposed to using a seperate phantom supply if that would solve the issue, I just don't have access to one currently, so don't know if that would help or not. I am sure there are others on this board with more experience than me with the ua-5's(modded or not), and would be very interested to see what others think. I will likely pose this question in the pre section, but think some more specific ck1 specs would be quite helpfull in getting usefull responses.

edited to add current draw info:
Thanks to the Avantone support team for finding the draw info. Their response: The phantom requirment for the ck1 is 48v / 5 mA.
According to the ua5's manual it can power mics up to 48v / 10 mA. So not sure where the problem lies, and I don't know enough about differing impedences to claim that as the issue.

edited again to add:
My understanding is that the Busman ua-5s do not have the issue disscused above, and should work just fine with the ck1's.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 04:40:24 PM by busterr »

Offline blindman

• Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2007, 09:03:22 PM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.326 seconds with 132 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com