Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice for newbie!!  (Read 6258 times)

Offline hhf32

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Advice for newbie!!
« on: January 09, 2004, 12:05:40 AM »
I was recommended to this site.....and now I don't know if I'm better off!! So much info to sift through.
Here's the deal...
1)  I have a Sharp mt-200 MD......I know minidisc is'nt the
     most popular format...but I need to start somewhere and
     I already own it.
2)  I'm leaning towards the Oktava mk-012's
3)  I'm looking for suggestions for the rest....around $200
     -250 range.
Need recomendations for cheap but decent phantom power, pre-amp, cables and stand.
  Any help, suggestions...words of wisdom would be appreciated.
AKG 461's>digimod UA5>JB3

jimmc

Re:Advice for newbie!!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 12:12:10 AM »
Welcome.

Check the archive information forum. There you will find everything about everything. I've found that sifting through the info can be very helpful. Just take your time reading the posts, and it will all fall into place.

jimmc

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 12:16:19 AM »
don't forget about the search function!  most basic questions have probably been answered in one form or another...good luck and welcome.

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 12:31:31 AM »
Thanks for the help......I'm looking to see if anyone else is running a similar rig, I've gotten alot of great input from the search, but trying to piece the best results together can be overwhelming.  :o

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 12:32:58 AM »
just take your time...if you're struggling for to find an answer to something really specific, just post a question.  just try to put it in the proper forum...

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 12:38:23 AM »
I was recommended to this site.....and now I don't know if I'm better off!! So much info to sift through.
Here's the deal...
1)  I have a Sharp mt-200 MD......I know minidisc is'nt the
     most popular format...but I need to start somewhere and
     I already own it.
2)  I'm leaning towards the Oktava mk-012's
3)  I'm looking for suggestions for the rest....around $200
     -250 range.
Need recomendations for cheap but decent phantom power, pre-amp, cables and stand.
  Any help, suggestions...words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Is $250 your limit for everything?  At that price point, your options are limited, but I'd recommend something like a Denecke AD-20.  This would handle your phantom power,  gain (pre-amp), and analog to digital conversion (adc).

If you're willing to go a little higher, you should look into an Edirol UA-5, and specifically one that has the Digital modification from www.oade.com.  A new unmodified one from Oade is around 250 bucks I think.  I dunno how much Doug charges for the mod, but there *are* do-it-yourself guides if you are technically inclined.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

jimmc

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 12:40:55 AM »
Another good option to see what type of results you get with certain gear is to check out this site.
http://www.archive.org/audio
Once on the site, do a search on Oktava, mk012, or mc012 and check the source listed for the matches. This will give you a great idea of different pre's and power sources that people are using. Also, you can actually download a song to hear the results for yourself instead of just taking someones word for it. All ears are different.

Oh, dont worry about being a Newbie, I'm still one also.  ;D

Peace,
jimmc

Offline rustle

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Rock On!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 12:47:55 AM »
   I have a pair of Oktava's and Nak CM-300's, that I sometimes use. Both are easy to use (the Naks more so, because of internal batteries); offer multiple choices of caps (for different polar patterns). I like the Naks in the sense that they are more forgiving, but the oktava's have a quieter sound floor, but can get a little boomy if you push the levels.
 Another choice would be some AKG 451's, or C-1000, although I'm not a fan of the 1000 sound. Too bright for my ears.
 Hope that helps.

"Once in a while you can get shone the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right" - J. Garcia, R. Hunter

“Physical discomfort is important only when the mood is wrong. Then you fasten on to whatever thing is uncomfortable and call that the cause. But if the mood is right, then physical discomfort doesn't mean much.” - Robert Pirsig, author, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 12:48:28 AM »
I figure 50 for a so so stand......25 for a stereo bar...cables 40???Hopefully I can get the iso mounts with the mics....the rest for power and preamp about $150...is it possible

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 12:54:08 AM »
the ad-20 will not provide phantom power.  

150...you're definitely going to have to go used, nothing wrong with that though, especially if you're buying form the yard sale board here...  

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 12:59:39 AM »
I'm definitely looking for used gear.....i think of it as "field tested" gear!!

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 01:00:57 AM »
good way to put it...honestly though, you're probably gonna want to save up a little more cash.  don't buy something just cause it fits the budget...

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2004, 01:06:57 AM »
I have gear for trade too....an Ibanez AD-9....like new condition and a fostex x-26 4track with only 10 hours or so on the heads. If I ebay'ed it i could get at least $200.

Offline RobC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2004, 01:15:52 AM »
here is my advice,  don't rush to buy what you can afford today,  because tommorrow, you will be selling it and moving up.  Get yourself a few cables and patch into other rigs, keep track of the source info,  and you will start to get a feel of what sounds best to you.

km 184 >v2> HD-P2, R-44
AKG 393, 392

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2004, 01:21:53 AM »
here is my advice,  don't rush to buy what you can afford today,  because tommorrow, you will be selling it and moving up.  Get yourself a few cables and patch into other rigs, keep track of the source info,  and you will start to get a feel of what sounds best to you.

great advice if you haven't yte considered this approach

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com