Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on taping a Dream Theater show  (Read 2612 times)

Offline MattPearl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Advice on taping a Dream Theater show
« on: March 28, 2004, 07:02:36 PM »
Hey Guys,
I am going to see DT tomorrow at the 9:30 club and I was planning on taping it. Here is my issue: I just recently got a JB3 (all of the good advice on this site lead me to it), I had been taping for about a year with an MD recorder. I of course want to use the JB3 to record the show but I only have the one battery (I just ordered another one, but of course it won't be here by tomorrow).

So I was woundering it you guys think that the JB3 could make it through the whole show (probably 3-3.5 hours max); or should I use the MD for the first part of the show (up to intermission) and then the JB3 for the rest.

Not really a problem just woundering what you guys would do.

P.S. here is my setup: Sound Pro's premium slimline cards>Sound Pro's-SPSB-1 batt box w/bass roll-off>Sony MZ-N707/JB3

Offline aberg

• Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Re:Advice on taping a Dream Theater show
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 01:07:06 AM »
I just taped the Dream Theater Toronto show on the one single internal JB3 battery and it was fine. Just make sure it's fully charged to begin with. Double or triple check it... I taped the whole show... exactly 3 hours pretty much, and listened to about 1/3 of it on the ride home before the batteries got really low... the unit still didn't fully lose power though. Eventually I might invest in a second battery, but it's really fine with the first... as long as you aren't moving too much. Oh, and keep the volume for the headphones turned down to zero and either keep the backlight on 3 sec or turn it off completely if you can.... i just got my JB3 recording and after quickly checking the levels... (note: for DT, i kept it at gain of +11db for the whole show) just locked the players buttons and stuck it in my hoodie pocket.. didn't look at it again until the intermission, where I started a new file and did the same thing... It worked out really nicely.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 01:08:25 AM »
one more thing... I set the bass roll-off too low... mine was at 95Hz... you should set it to either 107 or the next highest.... I had to cut out a lot of bass in software.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 09:35:22 AM »
I saw them last week (didn't tape) at an opera hall outside of Pittsburgh here.  They are on FIRE!  Locked and loaded.  Two sets: 1 hour first set; 1.5 hour second set.  No security to speak of.  Have fun at the show!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline YJ2K

• Taperssection Newbie
    • YJ2K Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 01:18:20 PM »
Hey Matt... if your recording comes out clean, I'd be intersted in trading for it. Thanks.

Offline adventuregeorge

• Taperssection Member
  • Work, play hard, and... Drink Milk!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »
Hey--

I'm seeing these guys on Thurs at the orpheum in Boston, were you guys running stealth or do they allow taping?

Thanks, George

Offline MattPearl

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 02:10:21 PM »
No even though Mike does alough taping, they don't have an open policy about it. So I am going to go stealth.

@YJ2K Check your email

Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I will probably try it with just the JB3 then, would be a lot easier than having to crotch both the JB3 and the MD recorder. I have my bass roll of set to 107hz. I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

One other question, I am taping the DT show this Friday up at the Tower Theater as well. I've never been there, anyone know what the security is like?

Offline MattPearl

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 02:44:21 PM »
Thanks for all the help, I was able to record the whole show without losing battery power. It came out quite good. Now in a few days I get to go do it all over again :)

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 03:39:31 PM »
If anyone's interested I recorded the 3-6-04 show when they played the entire 1st album (15 year ann.)and there orignal lead singer and keyboardist joined in on the encores in Hollywood.  

p.s. YJ2K, did you get my e-mail?

Offline RJPass

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 03:43:25 PM »
I thought you said you were not going to release it  =)

If you are gonna release, lemmie know maing!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com