Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Adding Gain to Recordings  (Read 4465 times)

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
Adding Gain to Recordings
« on: February 13, 2007, 09:04:17 AM »
I did a little searching around, but couldn't find specific answers to my questions. I know there really isn't a definitive answer on the matter. But I'm searching for a system that works for me. So here goes;

Currently I am recording 16 bit and usually run my levels fairly hot so there hasn't too much need to add gain in post (NOTE: I know there is a debate whether to normalize or add gain. I'm comfortable with adding gain to the entire wav file at once and plan to continue.) In the past when I have had levels on the low side I would usually add 1-3dB of gain to boost the playback levels. Sometimes they would exceed 0dB a few times thoughout the recording, but I've never experienced any really hard clipping.

What i have been doing recently (and plan to continue when I begin recording 24 bit) is setting my levels a little more conservatively. Then, performing a global analysis in wavelab 5.0 to check the average dB level and make sure the channels are pretty close (within 1dB). I will check the peak level (for example the peak will be -3dB). From this point I will add 2.8dB of gain to ensure I am still under the 0dB mark. Sometimes i do have a couple spikes in the dB level which exceeds 0dB, but I still add a little gain and never have experienced any clipping that is noticable in playback.

So my questions are:
How do you determine how much gain to add, if any?

How much gain is too much? More importantly, when does clipping become noticable? I've never encountered any audible clipping during playback.

This is really the only type of editing (besided a fade in/out at the beginning/end of sets) I perform. Since most of the shows I record are rock shows, I haven't noticed the introduction of noise. I really like to have the most boost in volume as possible. Should I be concerned about headroom when adding gain in post?

Thanks in advance...

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
Re: Adding Gain to Recordings
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 09:58:56 AM »
if my highest peak in a recording is -2.7 dbs, i'll add 2.7 dbs.  whatever brings it up to 0 dbs.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 11:26:49 AM »
if my highest peak in a recording is -2.7 dbs, i'll add 2.7 dbs.  whatever brings it up to 0 dbs.

+T

thanks for the input lee. how about if you have a couple peeks that exceed 0dB. I'm not really talking about a sustained clip, more like a couple overs that occur very quickly (like a high hat, crowd reaction, etc...)
do you still add some gain?

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 12:51:02 PM »
you need to try a limiter in that case if you want to add gain.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 12:55:52 PM »
FWIW sometimes I use the volume envelope tool in Audacity to pull down those rare short spikes to a bit more manageable level.  This technique will leave you with a resulting .wav file that has a bit more headroom.  Then, you can then amplify the whole file a bit more before hitting 0dB.   :)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 01:34:03 PM »
i think the 671 has a limiter which i probably will use. i have to read the manual to see if the limiter affects a digi in or just an analog in.

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 01:42:41 PM »
i think the 671 has a limiter which i probably will use. i have to read the manual to see if the limiter affects a digi in or just an analog in.

Do not use the limiter. You will probably not like what you hear.  Try it at home first.  Better to adjust your recording levels, and then make any adjustments in post.  You can't "fix" what the limiter does.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 09:37:46 PM »
yeah I meant a software plugin limiter, not on your deck. There is no going back after that.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »
hey gang,

i have another specific question regarding adding gain in post using wavelab 5.0:

is it possible to add a certain amount of gain to the left channel and another amount to the right channel in wavelab?

i have a recording that the right channel is consistently 3dB higher than the left. so i'd like to increase the the left first to balance them out, then add additional gain to both channels. this doesn't seem to be possible in wavelab, unless i'm missing something.

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 12:48:56 PM »
hey gang,

i have another specific question regarding adding gain in post using wavelab 5.0:

is it possible to add a certain amount of gain to the left channel and another amount to the right channel in wavelab?

i have a recording that the right channel is consistently 3dB higher than the left. so i'd like to increase the the left first to balance them out, then add additional gain to both channels. this doesn't seem to be possible in wavelab, unless i'm missing something.

There should be something like "Split stereo track", which then allows you to edit each track separately.

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 12:54:05 PM »
hey gang,

Sure you can, double click just on the channel you want to adjust to highlight it(for the left channel double click above the 1/2 way point of that particular channel...on the right, below the 1/2 way point..). Then you can use "change gain" under processes and "get peak level", then you know how much to bring that one up to. Then just repeat for the other channel.

As far as limiting there is a VST plugin called "classic master limiter" that seems to work extremely well, I have yet to use it in a final mixdown since I like as little processing done in my recordings as possible...but I've been impressed with the difference in previewing it enough that it may find a place on some of my recordings. I think the key with any type of limiter/compression is to use it sparingly, and only use just enough to help it...not dominate the levels.

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 01:00:37 PM »
Sure you can, double click just on the channel you want to adjust to highlight it(for the left channel double click above the 1/2 way point of that particular channel...on the right, below the 1/2 way point..). Then you can use "change gain" under processes and "get peak level", then you know how much to bring that one up to. Then just repeat for the other channel.

I tried this and it won't work for me. I start by highlighting the lower of the two channels, get peak and add gain. When wavelab completes the process it switches highlighted channels and no gain is added. I can add gain to the one channel with the higher levels, but then won't be able to add additional gain to the lower channel. It will switch highlighted channels and no gain will be added. someone suggested it may have been a known bug in the version of wavelab i use (5.0a)

what version do you use busterr?

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 02:10:49 PM »
I'm running wavelab 4, I've done this a number of times so maybe there is a bug in 5.0...dorrcoq's suggestion may be the route to go for you..although I don't know how you would go about that specifically in WL.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com