Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice for taping a classical concert/orchestra?  (Read 1888 times)

Offline John Kary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Advice for taping a classical concert/orchestra?
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:38:25 PM »
A potential client contacted us wanting a live video/audio recording of a classical concert/orchestra.  Problem being, we haven't done classical before, so I'm a bit unsure on how to go about recording the audio.  I assume it will be done in an amplified environment with ceiling mics.

What type of mic setup should I go for?  I normally do rock shows where I can pull a sbd feed and an audience source and mix them in post.  Is this what I should go for?

What mics should I try to use?  What type/brand?  I would be up for renting someone's gear, too, since this is a paid gig.  Just PM me with prices and such.

Thanks everyone!

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: Advice for taping a classical concert/orchestra?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 11:50:45 PM »
I assume it will be done in an amplified environment with ceiling mics.

I would assume just the opposite.  Classical/orchestral is rarely amplified in my experience.

Gear needs depend entirely on the performance, but I would use a minimum of a pair of neutral high end condensers (Schoeps, DPA, etc) and a relatively high end preamp (Millenia, Grace, etc.).  Depending on the client's needs you may be required to do multiple mics as well.

Good luck!
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 11:52:34 AM »
Leave plenty of headroom when starting your recording, there can be huge differences in dynamics in a given piece. I would estimate hitting -15-12 dB for the moderate level passages,  ??? does that sound right to you guys?

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 11:54:48 AM »
I assume it will be done in an amplified environment with ceiling mics.

I would assume just the opposite.  Classical/orchestral is rarely amplified in my experience.

Gear needs depend entirely on the performance, but I would use a minimum of a pair of neutral high end condensers (Schoeps, DPA, etc) and a relatively high end preamp (Millenia, Grace, etc.).  Depending on the client's needs you may be required to do multiple mics as well.

Good luck!

Agree 100%. You could run either a stereo pair of directional microphones in the center, or spaced omnis for a minimalist approach, or combine the two for the next step up. I would think as the next level after that one would move to adding spot mics for the orchestra.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline boojum

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 01:03:21 PM »
I have only four mics so I would be obliged to look at a pair of omnis or cards in the sweet spot with the angles and distances as outlined by Williams in Stereo Zoom.  Or, a pair of cards in the sweet spot, or as close as I can get, angle and spacing as described by Williams, and a pair of flanking omnis.  John Eargle likes this setup.  Multi-mic'ing can introduce as many problems as it solves, though.  Less is more.
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.216 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com