Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVD vs. CD for archiving  (Read 20080 times)

Offline crobs808

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: DVD vs. CD for archiving
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2004, 06:20:27 PM »
???
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 11:45:14 PM by crobs808 »
"The dolphins, with their teeth of spongy gold, and their stares made out of glassy grins; they don't know the language of mercy" - Bob Schneider

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2004, 06:35:32 PM »
i work in archival and have encountered some problems with dvd media.  the dvd+r and dvd-r are kind of like pal and ntsc in that they require different players to read the signal. 
for this reason i currently shy away from dvd.
with CD-r's the life of the typical cheap, yet convienent blank disc is anywhere from 2 years to 10 years.  the 'Gold' quality cd-r's though i think are the way to go for long term perservation and archiving (possibly 100 years).  these discs are not cheap and granted they are not necessary for a show that can be easily picked up from archive.org.  but for the one of a kind shows, these Gold cd-r's may be worthwhile.

luke
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline KronKyrios

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2004, 09:04:57 PM »
I waited for a long time to see which DVD standard would take over, but one never did, so I finally just got a burner that would handle both, and its hit and miss when trying to send a disc to someone as to whether their readers will read it.  Biut at a dollar a disc, it doesn't hurt to send dupes. 

The best CDs are the Diamond.  You can't buy these in the stores.  The Platinum is the next best.  I wouldn't buy anything less than that, myself. 

Kenneth

Offline crobs808

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2004, 09:12:47 PM »
actually, the best CDs have alot of brands, the best DVD's are RITEK :)

~connor
"The dolphins, with their teeth of spongy gold, and their stares made out of glassy grins; they don't know the language of mercy" - Bob Schneider

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2004, 09:17:10 PM »
actually, the best CDs have alot of brands, the best DVD's are RITEK :)

~connor

Ritek are better than TY DVDs?

Offline crobs808

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2004, 09:31:21 PM »
yes, RITEK are the best (ridata) and the best place to buy them is http://www.supermediastore.com/

so cheap :)

~connor

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2004, 09:45:12 PM »
hehe, they are tough to ignore, but they do what they do for one reason, to illicit a response...................

EXACTLY!! the fact that someone has to tell you that is pretty sad, and prives most of your IQ's are in fact very low. 

yes, I am here just for entertainment value to get responses from the dumb people.  the smart people are the ones who never even post anything, so keep the posting up, prove your stupidity, it is rather fun to watch the mingling of the lesser wits! haha  ;D

yawn
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline crobs808

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2004, 09:45:55 PM »
???
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 11:46:46 PM by crobs808 »

Jason B

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2004, 09:48:43 PM »
the smart people are the ones who never even post anything, so keep the posting up, prove your stupidity,

I guess that explains why you keep posting here.... but really, you have already proven your stupidity. Take a break, you must be tired.

Offline crobs808

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2004, 09:53:29 PM »
???
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 11:44:28 PM by crobs808 »

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2004, 10:51:23 PM »
no, we talk right to you. there won;t be much thought of you until you return.

now, you keep promising to leave, I went out of my way to help you. Please hold up your end of the bargain.

We want to miss you, so please leave

rofl!!
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2004, 11:45:18 PM »
now that I have my new laptop with an internal dvd burner that I will be taping on in 24bit I will be archiving on DVD soon.

WOW...looks like he is here to toot his own horn.  He now has a computer that everyone else had 2 years ago, lol.  If we are here to do that then lemme tell you i have a laptop with a 4x dual +/- burner and 32 bit soundcard and I have had that for about a year already the list goes on....lol, big deal, a computer doesnt make you who you are Creek! and your burner on your laptop is probably a 2x or something like that, so don't pretend to have something cool when you don't, or at least do you reasearch first.  :D

we all live downstream.

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2004, 11:45:45 PM »
you seem to think that one consumer products hit the market that is when everyone else gets them? lol...you do realize that business could buy mac g5's and amd 64 fx-51 proccessors like 2 years ago right, way before they hit the consumer market? it helps to know what you are talking about before you act like you have something "new" when you really have something very outdated :) just FYI there buddy

~connor

p.s. - my tapes dont suck cause i dont tape, lol, loser.
we all live downstream.

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2004, 11:46:00 PM »
you seem to think that one consumer products hit the market that is when everyone else gets them? lol...you do realize that business could buy mac g5's and amd 64 fx-51 proccessors like 2 years ago right, way before they hit the consumer market? it helps to know what you are talking about before you act like you have something "new" when you really have something very outdated :) just FYI there buddy

~connor

p.s. - my tapes dont suck cause i dont tape, lol, loser.

hey, it's the guy with the biggest dick on the internet!

I heard about this dude, I've been looking for him over at myfreepaysite.com for months now, he was always so elusive.

myfreepaysite.com....what r u talking about? jeez....the more i use message boards, the lower the peoples' IQs that i come across are.  and why am i an asshole for pointing out the truth...and how can you not afford a DVD burner but afford decent taping equipment? dvd burners for towers are down to $50 and external firewire ones are only $100...anyway, dont complain about in a hobby that requires money for good equipment

whatever people!
we all live downstream.

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2004, 11:46:34 PM »
im cool im cool im cool now :) I'm Good Now :)

~connor
we all live downstream.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com