Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: RCA Connector preference?  (Read 10485 times)

Offline Kush

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Catch you on the flip-side!
RCA Connector preference?
« on: September 14, 2006, 09:15:28 AM »
I'm getting a semi-long run of RCAs made for Matrix sbd patching and have been given a few choices for RCA connectors. Anyone have any preferences on which one would be the better choice from my options listed below or which ones to stay away from? (good/bad experiences)

The RCA connectors I can choose from are: 

TecNec offer Red or White stripe on shell of connector,
Switchcraft Gold pin Black or Nickel Shell. 
Canare, Brass with nickel shell.
AKG SE300b (CK91/CK93) or SP-LSD2 > Busman Transparency mod Tascam HD-P2

Offline Ryan Sims

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
Re: RCA Connector preference?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 11:33:44 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation Moke.  I've been meaning to build some RCAs.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 11:38:37 AM »
I've used the switchcraft connectors on some S/PDIF cables that I made, and I'm very pleased with them.  nice and snug without being too tight.

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 02:18:12 PM »
What raw cabling do you like for S/PDIF?  I need a new one of those too.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline Kush

• Taperssection Member
  • Catch you on the flip-side!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 09:17:20 AM »
Thanks for the advise on RCA connectors guys, much appreciated. + T

I do have another question though. Do I want my RCAs that I will be using for sbd patching to be balanced (balanced meaning common and shield are tied together) or unbalanced (unbalanced meaning the common just floats, all that’s wired is tip and shield)? I will be using these in Matrix situations, connecting them into my digi-mod UA-5.

I read in the cable archive to *Use balanced connections whenever possible and *Any unbalanced cable must be kept under ten feet (three meters) in length. Lengths longer than this will amplify all the nasty side effects of unbalanced circuitry's ground loops.

After reading the above, it seems like I'm going to want balanced. Does this apply to my situation?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 10:11:43 AM by Kush »
AKG SE300b (CK91/CK93) or SP-LSD2 > Busman Transparency mod Tascam HD-P2

Offline momule

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 10:15:34 AM »
hands down best RCA on the market. They ground before making signal.  Just incase  ;)

NEUTRIK NF2CB ProFi PROFESSIONAL RCA PLUG (PAIR)

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 10:43:45 AM »
hands down best RCA on the market. They ground before making signal.  Just incase  ;)

Best rca?  I'd put it in the 'one of the worst' category.

Too much metal mass and they are somewhat abusive on the connectors due to the high forces when they are pulled.

Even more significant...  Since the ground connector is a *moving part* that slides, how is that moving part attached to the fixed ground wire connection point?  Are we to believe that a hidden *SLIDING* ground contact is without issue?

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 08:12:43 PM »
I like the Canares. I'm not fond of the Switchcraft RCA's and have never used the Neutriks. I do like the Neutrik XLR connectors however.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 11:43:26 PM »

i like the neutrik pro fis i would agree they are some of the best rca's out there.
for kindkables i have been using the other neutrik rcas which work fine. gold plated and really nice strain relief.
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 01:21:22 PM »
Bumping this old thread because it seems the best one to bump in my case.
I have been doing some research on finding a good quality RCA plug for a digi cable I plan on making. (maybe?)

Everything I have been reading talks about how RCA's are not really meant for 75 ohm cables.
The only RCA plug close to keeping the capacitance of a cable at 75 ohm are the canare RCA plugs.
Model #RCAP-C3A (which is crimpable only )
Anyway that plug is not a right angle plug like I would like to use.
Question.
Has anyone used any other kind of RCA plug and checked for capacitance to ensure it's still 75ohm?
A few web pages have stated that at best after using one of the "lesser" RCA plugs one would be lucky to even get 25ohms from the plug. Basically the way I read it, the cable is perfectly capable of 75ohm's but once it hits the plug that all changes due to a number of different reasons.(one being the insulation has been stripped away) I'm sorry I can't list all the reasons they give right now because the research is all on the home computer.
Nor could I give the right terms either like the insulation stripping that was mentioned.
So before I spend a 20$~ on rca plugs I'd like to see what the guys who do this for a living/hobby have to say.
What does the cable read on a tester after using right angle switchcrafts for example?
I am thinking maybe this is all worry for nothing because I thought I would find more discussions on this here.
Um I hope I made some sort of intelligble sense with my post here...  ???
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 05:16:07 PM »
I have had no problems making SPDIF cables using the Neutrik right angle RCA connectors. The cables work fine.
I figure it this way... Inside the box, the impedance isn't 75 ohms (on PC board traces) so a couple feet (with homemade cables and connectors) isn't much of a problem.

I did the research too. Basically RCA connectors are not the type of connectors you want to use for 75 ohm connections, but everybody does it... There really isn't a "perfect" solution.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 05:22:48 PM »
I have had great luck with the canare's.  I made all my interconnects with milspec silver and canare rca's.  I love em.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 09:15:52 PM »
I have had no problems making SPDIF cables using the Neutrik right angle RCA connectors. The cables work fine.
I figure it this way... Inside the box, the impedance isn't 75 ohms (on PC board traces) so a couple feet (with homemade cables and connectors) isn't much of a problem.

I did the research too. Basically RCA connectors are not the type of connectors you want to use for 75 ohm connections, but everybody does it... There really isn't a "perfect" solution.
Have you ever tested the impedance of your cables and what were the results?
do you have a search string or some sort of reference I can search on the impedance not being 75 ohms coming from the box( source) ? That is very interesting if no box (pc trace? I know what pc trace is but I don't know more than that)out there can output a true 75 ohm. I assumed they all met the s/pdif spec.
So if you are getting less than 75 ohms from the "source" and the cable is using a "non spec" connector
I don't understand why we would make a huge deal out of our digital cables either if we are not getting a true 75 ohm from the "source" box. I sort of understand the short run not making much of a difference at all  but in theory it should make a difference. At least from what I am reading and I pasted a little quip of it below.

"Where analog audio or video signals consist of electrical waves which rise or fall continuously through a range, digital signals are very different--they switch rapidly between two states representing bits, 1 and 0. This switching creates what we call a "square wave," a waveform which, instead of being sloped like a sine wave, has sharp, sudden transitions. Although a digital signal can be said to have a "frequency" at the rate at which it switches, electrically, a square wave of a given frequency is equivalent to a sine wave at that frequency accompanied by an infinite series of harmonics--that is, multiples of the frequency. If all of these harmonics aren't faithfully carried through the cable--and, in fact, it's physically impossible to carry all of them faithfully--then the "shoulders" of the digital square wave begin to round off. The more the wave becomes rounded, the higher the possibility of bit errors becomes. The device at the load end will, of course, reconstitute the digital information from this somewhat rounded wave, but as the rounding becomes worse and worse, eventually there comes a point where the errors are too severe to be corrected, and the signal can no longer be reconstituted. The best defense against the problem is, of course, a cable of the right impedance: for digital video or SPDIF digital audio, this means a 75 ohm cable like Belden 1694A or Canare L-5CFB; for AES/EBU balanced digital audio, this means a 110 ohm cable like Belden (rest cut off)"

I'm curious now to see what kind of impedance the P2 puts out.
So you shoot a digital signal out of a A/D and automatically it is sending out a sloped wave instead of a square one and as the signal travels down the cable it becomes more round as it loses the impedance correct? By the time it reaches the recorder it isn't quite the square wave it started off as and the recorder now has to reconstruct that square? (what we would call jitter correct?)

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 09:50:43 PM by JackoRoses »
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 07:05:39 AM »
fwiw..
I use swtichcraft RCAs for just about everything.  I use a different neutrik that I like as well, for straight (no rightangles offered).

but for hi-fi needs, im an eichman fan.

Roving Sign

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 07:23:16 AM »

Best rca?  I'd put it in the 'one of the worst' category.

Right up there with WBT (seems like the high end guys like these)- the ones with the locking shield that locks the plug to the jack - I've ripped the jacks off too many pieces of gear...ooopps

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com