Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel Recorder?  (Read 108667 times)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
Re: Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel Recorder?
« Reply #300 on: December 12, 2018, 08:59:58 AM »
Firmware update available dec.2018:
https://marantzpro.com/products/view/pmd-706

"Firmware Version 1.23 (December 2018)
- Battery life improvements and various bug fixes"

Does Marantz provide any details on the "various bug fixes"?
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #301 on: December 13, 2018, 12:57:17 PM »
Firmware update available dec.2018:
https://marantzpro.com/products/view/pmd-706

"Firmware Version 1.23 (December 2018)
- Battery life improvements and various bug fixes"

Does Marantz provide any details on the "various bug fixes"?

I've been patiently waiting for this and now they describe it as "various".  :facepalm:

I'm going to call them and see if they can shed any light on what is actually addressed with this firmware update.

In other news - I used my 706 at Xmas Jam for 2 consecutive days of 8 hours each - no problems at all since I remembered to power down and back up every few sets.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Online goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #302 on: December 21, 2018, 03:24:33 PM »
Updated my PMD706 with the new V1.23 firmware and did a few tests. Ran through the menus and didn't see anything new and the UI looks the same.

I started with a 2G card that I didn't care about and formatted it in the deck. I recorded 3 ten second stereo files with only a USB battery attached. During the third file recording I pulled out the USB plug from the input shutting down the deck while recording.

I took the card out and put it in my computer and it opened right up. All 3 files were there.
The first two files opened up in CD Wave Editor as expected.
The third file that I pulled the plug on listed "File header reports a size that is different than the system reports. Do you want to adjust the size?" so I clicked yes and it opened up the file just like it should have. It played and everything seemed fine. Clicked no the next time and it still opened fine. The header is corrupt but the file and all the data is there.

Looks like in my limited test they have fixed the file save on accidental power down problem.  :clapping:  It only took a year  :facepalm:

I'm going out for a while to do some Christmas shopping so I'm going to let the deck roll past the 3:39 time that people were having problems with to see if they addressed that one too...
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #303 on: December 21, 2018, 03:30:19 PM »
^
Sounds very promising!  Good luck,  Thanks for the update.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Online goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #304 on: December 21, 2018, 10:02:22 PM »

Let the deck run for 5h:23m while I was out. No hiccups, everything seems fine. Looks like they may have that problem licked as well...

Now if we can get them to add a function where you can change the meters to the sideways layout with the really responsive numerical peak readout that it uses during playback I'd be really happy.

It is truly amazing what you can get for $300 nowadays.

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #305 on: February 07, 2019, 08:56:16 PM »
Found one of these new/open box on Craigslist for cheap. I’ve recently been running 3 source matrixes but using my dr-22wl to get SBD audio.

Is an unmodded 706 a clear upgrade from my current DR-60d? I’d love to be able to run my Avantones, CA-14s, and a board feed into a single deck.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 02:57:24 AM by ycoop »
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Online goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #306 on: February 07, 2019, 11:15:30 PM »
Found one of these new/open box on Craigslist for $125. I’ve recently been running 3 source matrixes but using my dr-22wl to get SBD audio.

Is an unmodded 706 a clear upgrade from my current DR-60d? I’d love to be able to run my Avantones, CA-14s, and a board feed into a single deck.

Having run both decks I would say that it's a wash. The dr60 preamp sounds surprisingly good for such an inexpensive recorder but the 706 preamps are very adequate. Nothing special (honestly, what would you really expect for the price)  but they are pretty good on their own. The 706 definitely has more features for running multiple sources and a much more easy to use form factor - I never really got used to the pound of butter size of the dr60.

Update to the new firmware as it cured the problems that plagued the early adopters of this deck. Mine hasn't had any hiccups since the firmware update.

Another benefit is the lean power consumption - the same battery that ran my dr60 on 4 channels runs my 706 on 6 channels for twice as long.

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #307 on: February 08, 2019, 12:03:42 AM »
Found one of these new/open box on Craigslist for $125. I’ve recently been running 3 source matrixes but using my dr-22wl to get SBD audio.

Having run both decks I would say that it's a wash. The dr60 preamp sounds surprisingly good for such an inexpensive recorder but the 706 preamps are very adequate. Nothing special (honestly, what would you really expect for the price)  but they are pretty good on their own. The 706 definitely has more features for running multiple sources and a much more easy to use form factor - I never really got used to the pound of butter size of the dr60.

Update to the new firmware as it cured the problems that plagued the early adopters of this deck. Mine hasn't had any hiccups since the firmware update.

Another benefit is the lean power consumption - the same battery that ran my dr60 on 4 channels runs my 706 on 6 channels for twice as long.

Thanks for this, decided to go for it if only for the ability to run 6 channels. I just picked it up and it seems to be built much more solidly than the 60d. Looking forward to giving it a spin this Sunday!

Online goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #308 on: February 08, 2019, 10:14:03 AM »

Another cool feature that is lacking in most inexpensive recorders in the channel ganging feature. Any of the six channels can be assigned individually in the group menu and controlled with the channel fader for the lowest number in the group. I tend to run stereo pairs so I have mine setup ch1/2, ch3/4 etc.

The routing functions are pretty nifty - at one show I ran mics and SBD - sent the SBD to the camera output, sent the mix with a delay on the board feed to a patcher through the line out and everything went very smooth. Impressive feature set for the price.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #309 on: February 08, 2019, 02:19:22 PM »

Let the deck run for 5h:23m while I was out. No hiccups, everything seems fine. Looks like they may have that problem licked as well...

Now if we can get them to add a function where you can change the meters to the sideways layout with the really responsive numerical peak readout that it uses during playback I'd be really happy.

It is truly amazing what you can get for $300 nowadays.

Thanks for the update. I could have lived with the file save issue as I rarely run out of juice, but the shutdown at 3:39 was too much for me. I might have to try this deck again!

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #310 on: February 10, 2019, 03:37:28 PM »
Has anyone had issues with the power/hold switch? Mine popped right off.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:44:42 PM by ycoop »

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #311 on: February 10, 2019, 09:37:46 PM »
My buddy Richard Skaggs is having all kinds of trouble with noise before and after the firmware update. He said going to see if Doug can resolve the issues.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #312 on: February 11, 2019, 02:28:47 AM »
My buddy Richard Skaggs is having all kinds of trouble with noise before and after the firmware update. He said going to see if Doug can resolve the issues.

Just got back from my first outing with the 706 and...

Popping and clicking from my Avantones into channels 1+2 using phantom power from the deck and super-noisy unusable sound from the CA-14 > CA9100 into ext in 1/2.

Major disappointment.

edit: here's pictures of the waveform for the Avantones. The CA-14 waveform looked totally normal.
edit 2: tried replicating at home. Recording my stereo sounds fine even when cranked up so that I’m getting peaks at similar levels to what I was getting at the show. Both the Avantones and the CA-14s sound just fine. Will try recording my crew’s jam session tomorrow nigh and see how it goes.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:41:07 AM by ycoop »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #313 on: February 11, 2019, 03:00:25 AM »

Ricky Skaggs is your buddy?  ;D
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Online goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #314 on: February 11, 2019, 09:16:25 AM »

I just used mine yesterday and everything was solid. Ran Nbox XLR in on 3/4 and a stereo board feed TRS into 1/2.

Ycoop - I wonder if you got one that's been abused then dumped? I haven't had any problems with mine other than the firmware problems that everyone had and I don't particularly baby my gear. I don't beat it up on purpose but it takes the kind of treatment that field gear usually takes. How were you powering it? What was your gain setup? Weird that you are getting good results at home but problems in the field...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com