Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New improved microtrack (MT II)  (Read 137650 times)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
Re: New improved microtrack (MT II)
« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2007, 08:04:32 AM »
The original audio specs are what I personally tested on the pre-production units verified on the first units off the line (using a AP2700 series Audio Precision analyzer). I'm not saying that all units for sure met these specs but I am saying that there was certainly no fraud.  As for the whole 48 volt thing the intent at the time was to make it produce 48 volts but late in the design we found that we couldn't do it as not jeopardize the reliability of the unit (it would have done 48 volts but we weren't sure how long it would last) so we reduced the voltage to give us some breathing room instead of running components right at the edges of their specs. At this point we changed all marketing materials that had been made that said 48 volts. This was well before anything had shipped.

I can't really say too much about the MTII. I did work on testing the early alpha versions of the unit before the site I was located at was closed and I do think it will be an improvement over the MT 1.

P.S. While I was there I tried several times to suggest they make a dedicated SPDIF to CF bit bucket (no analog) but they just wouldn't go for it.  I'd email them to let them know if you'd buy one.

John

Thanks for the comments John.  Do you know if the internal battery will be the same battery in the MT II as in the original MT?

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #226 on: November 18, 2007, 10:38:37 AM »
My latest e-mail update on delivery says 12/21

Looking around the shops on the net, they are putting on-street dates from 12/7 to 12/27      :P

I hope the wait is worth it...
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #227 on: November 20, 2007, 09:41:42 AM »
The original audio specs are what I personally tested on the pre-production units verified on the first units off the line (using a AP2700 series Audio Precision analyzer). I'm not saying that all units for sure met these specs but I am saying that there was certainly no fraud.  As for the whole 48 volt thing the intent at the time was to make it produce 48 volts but late in the design we found that we couldn't do it as not jeopardize the reliability of the unit (it would have done 48 volts but we weren't sure how long it would last) so we reduced the voltage to give us some breathing room instead of running components right at the edges of their specs. At this point we changed all marketing materials that had been made that said 48 volts. This was well before anything had shipped.

I can't really say too much about the MTII. I did work on testing the early alpha versions of the unit before the site I was located at was closed and I do think it will be an improvement over the MT 1.

P.S. While I was there I tried several times to suggest they make a dedicated SPDIF to CF bit bucket (no analog) but they just wouldn't go for it.  I'd email them to let them know if you'd buy one.

John

Thanks for the comments John.  Do you know if the internal battery will be the same battery in the MT II as in the original MT?

As far as I know the battery is the same. But some components have been changed and the power management reworked a bt to try and get more life out of it. But as the specs say it's got 48v phantom power now, and so on and so on. So who knows if there will be any more useful battery life from it (and though myself and the project manager lobbied hard for removable batteries, one of the design requirements handed down by management was that we re-use the MicroTrack 1 tooling).

John

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #228 on: November 20, 2007, 10:02:51 AM »
The original audio specs are what I personally tested on the pre-production units verified on the first units off the line (using a AP2700 series Audio Precision analyzer). I'm not saying that all units for sure met these specs but I am saying that there was certainly no fraud.  As for the whole 48 volt thing the intent at the time was to make it produce 48 volts but late in the design we found that we couldn't do it as not jeopardize the reliability of the unit (it would have done 48 volts but we weren't sure how long it would last) so we reduced the voltage to give us some breathing room instead of running components right at the edges of their specs. At this point we changed all marketing materials that had been made that said 48 volts. This was well before anything had shipped.

P.S. While I was there I tried several times to suggest they make a dedicated SPDIF to CF bit bucket (no analog) but they just wouldn't go for it.  I'd email them to let them know if you'd buy one.

John

As far as I know the battery is the same. But some components have been changed and the power management reworked a bt to try and get more life out of it. But as the specs say it's got 48v phantom power now, and so on and so on. So who knows if there will be any more useful battery life from it (and though myself and the project manager lobbied hard for removable batteries, one of the design requirements handed down by management was that we re-use the MicroTrack 1 tooling).

John

That stinks. I wouldn't think it would be much harder to put in a higher capacity battery. I would imagine since the microtracker originally came out, batteries have gotten better.
Retired Taper

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #229 on: November 20, 2007, 10:39:12 AM »
I would imagine since the microtracker originally came out, batteries have gotten better.

Nope. The battery tech hasn't changed and probably won't anytime soon. But the problem isn't the battery tech, it is devices that don't allow the battery to be replaced.

Offline tonyvt

• Taperssection Member
  • Bocephus
« Reply #230 on: November 20, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
One of M-Audio's reps confirmed to me in person that the battery in the Microtrack II is replaceable.
I'm a Bluegrasshole.

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #231 on: November 20, 2007, 01:07:12 PM »
One of M-Audio's reps confirmed to me in person that the battery in the Microtrack II is replaceable.

Hasn't it always been replaceable? You just needed to send it in to M-Audio to replace it for $75.
Retired Taper

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #232 on: November 20, 2007, 01:18:27 PM »
I do think user-replacable (on the spot, in the field) batteries are key.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #233 on: November 20, 2007, 05:56:22 PM »
damn'd straight.
but anything that can at least take external power is good for us.  a single internal that would last as long as MD decks or the JB3 (with both battery bays full) would be super.  but M-Audio lost me as a customer years ago.

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #234 on: November 20, 2007, 08:47:47 PM »
damn'd straight.
but anything that can at least take external power is good for us.  a single internal that would last as long as MD decks or the JB3 (with both battery bays full) would be super.  but M-Audio lost me as a customer years ago.

As long as it works as a bit bucket I'll be happy. It seems pretty easy to power externally.
Retired Taper

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #235 on: November 20, 2007, 08:49:20 PM »
It is very easy to power externally.  There are a number of option available.  I use a Microtrack I  as nothing more than a bit bucket.  If it had seemless splits, which the new one will, it will answer all my needs.
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #236 on: November 20, 2007, 11:06:35 PM »
It is very easy to power externally.  There are a number of option available.  I use a Microtrack I  as nothing more than a bit bucket.  If it had seemless splits, which the new one will, it will answer all my needs.

I second that.

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #237 on: November 21, 2007, 08:32:22 AM »

I second that.

Me too.  I'm not an early adopter but a true 24/96 bit bucket under $300 has me on the pre-order list.  I love my JB3 but have 24 bit playback screaming to be used.
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #238 on: November 21, 2007, 10:23:09 AM »
But as the specs say it's got 48v phantom power now, and so on and so on. So who knows if there will be any more useful battery life from it (and though myself and the project manager lobbied hard for removable batteries, one of the design requirements handed down by management was that we re-use the MicroTrack 1 tooling).

While true 48v is important, so is the current draw. Some mics (my beloved Earthworks for example) are very power hungry and want the full 10 mA that the Phantom Power spec allows for.... I wonder if it really will be able to supply the current (of course would I really want to power a pair of mics like that with the MT2 is an entirely different question).

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #239 on: November 26, 2007, 12:18:02 PM »
Has anyone used a Sandisk Ultra II 4GB card with their MT I? I was thinking about selling mine, but if it works with the MT with no problems, then I will keep it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com