Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V3 (< V3497) digital outputs out of phase relative to analog outputs  (Read 26220 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
FYI, response from Jamie regarding another thread here at TS.  Thought it deserved its own thread:

Hi all-

Jamie from Grace Design here.  I just received an email from Jim, which drew our attention to the thread.  Sorry there has been so much confusion regarding this.

The digital outputs (AES1, AES2, S/PDIF and TOSLINK) are 180 degrees out of phase.  As you know absolute polarity does not have an affect on the sound when the relative polarity between the channels is consistent.  It does however become an issue if you are summing multiple sources that have inverted polarities, which is the case here.  With the V3 digital outputs 180 degrees out of phase from the analog inputs on the 744, the low frequency response will be compromised if these signals are summed.

The fact that the V3's digital outputs are 180 degrees out of phase was only recently discovered when both the analog and digital outs were recorded simultaneously to a workstation.  Upon discovery we immediately corrected this issue in new production units.  Beginning with serial number V3497, all of the digital outputs are in phase with the input.  Any unit prior to this serial number will have inverted polarity on the digital outputs.

Again, when recording two channel audio this is not a problem, but for multichannel or matrix recordings that use the digital outputs, this should be corrected.  Obviously we are here for any of you who want/need to have the digital output in phase with the input and will provide this service at no charge under warranty.  To arrange for this service, please contact me at jamie@gracedesign.com.

Once again our apologies for the confusion and any trouble this may have caused.

Best regards from snowy Boulder, CO

- jamie
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 10:17:39 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: V3 (< V3497) digital outputs 180º out of phase
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 04:54:42 PM »
while i don't understand the point of the intial design of the digital output, you have to give it up to grace for top notch support and customer service.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 05:00:01 PM »
while i don't understand the point of the intial design of the digital output

I don't think the digi-outs 180º out of phase was intentional.
Roland R-05

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 05:01:44 PM »
After hearing this I grabbed my V3, plugged in a dynamic to the left channel. Opened a new DP session. Routed the left analog output to MOTU analog 1, track one. Routed AES/EBU 1 (L) to track two. Recorded a peaky click from my mouth. Repeated the same test on AES 2 as well. Low an behold...

I am trying to gather my thoughts. I must have a couple hundred recordings that have the polarity reversed right now. When mixing sources I sometimes flip polarity because it seemingly needs it. I have to deduce the times I haven't I have improperly aligned audio for my mixes. I don't know what to think at this point. Espessially when I've used the V3 for non ambient multitrack recordings. How many recordings of mine are effed up from it? God only knows.

only recently discovered

How recently and why were we not alerted yet? I would imagine that this website has a very large chunk of the V3 users on it. Is this something that the tech inclined can fix? Obviously rewiring some cables would be a temp workaround. Flipping in the DAW too.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 05:22:50 PM by cleantone »
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 05:19:12 PM »
if my v3 is not under warranty anymore I have to pay Grace to have them put the digital out in phase with the input?  why should I have to pay for something that I didn't break in the first place?  am I in the wrong here thinking this should not be something we have to pay for?  otoh, I would gladly pay for it if it meant a renewel of my warranty, ala when the optical mod is performed.

thoughts?

Contact Jamie and ask if they'll cover it even if you're out of warranty, given the nature of the problem - a fundamental production flaw on their part.
Roland R-05

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 05:25:00 PM »
So, is this the issue where people say that the V3 adc is thin sounding?

Very well could be. I think I am correct to saw that your speakers are moving opposite of how they should be on playback. That would certainly have an effect on the sound IMO. I'm am not too happy right now.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 05:45:40 PM »
Just so I have this right?  Recording 2 mics > recorder like JB3 or Dat the V3 is just fine.

When doing multichannel or matrix recordings is when you'll get inverted polarity on the digital outputs?
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 05:49:17 PM »
Just so I have this right?  Recording 2 mics > recorder like JB3 or Dat the V3 is just fine.

When doing multichannel or matrix recordings is when you'll get inverted polarity on the digital outputs?

thats how i read it.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 05:56:55 PM »

Depends on whether you think inverting the compression and rarefraction causes an audible difference.  I've inverted my phase on a 2-ch recording before (no mixing) and haven't been able to tell the difference.  But I wouldn't be surprised to hear that others hear a difference.
Roland R-05

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 05:58:38 PM »

Technically no. When your hearing only the 2 reversed channels it is not as noticable as it would be when mixing multiple sources. The positive and negative voltage information is still backward. Look at the picture I posted. The top is how it should look and the bottom is how it does look.

edit: I knew the minus t's would be coming my way... guess I'll think twice before offering trouble shooting help in the future.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 06:01:27 PM by cleantone »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 06:02:22 PM »
edit: I knew the minus t's would be coming my way... guess I'll think twice before offering trouble shooting help in the future.

Please don't let a jackass or two impact your posting - I, for one, appreciate your generally very informative posts.  Keep 'em coming.
Roland R-05

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 06:10:03 PM »

+T your way.  I am interested in hearing more. 

If I was mixing two different sources in a matrix what woulld be the effects of this inversion?  Highs not hitting high or lows not thumping low?    Would this muddy up a matrix?

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 06:12:41 PM »
+t for the information.  How can you too informed :o
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 07:17:40 PM »
hmmm

my stereo192 had 1 channel out of phase.  i had mytek correct it so it was in phase with the other channel. but my point of reference was the v3.  i had them correct the out of phase channel so both channels matched the v3's phase

so now i have a v3 and a stereo192 that are both 180 degrees out of phase.  fun

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 07:26:44 PM »
If I was mixing two different sources in a matrix what would be the effects of this inversion?  Highs not hitting high or lows not thumping low?    Would this muddy up a matrix?

That is a really big question. You have to understand a couple of things. First that the real issue at hand here is that the polarity reversal is a big deal. It is true that on playback it is not very noticeable when you flip from + to - on a single source. I'm not sure why that is really. I'd love to find out. I'm not at all a good teacher and also only have a limited grasp of the concepts myself. Maybe there is somewhere online to read up on phase and polarity regarding audio. Here are some basics though. Look at this picture:

Notice the length of the "cycle". It has both "compression" and "rarefaction" in one cycle. Compression is the positive information/pressure, and rarefaction is the negative. This example is a sine wave, a perfect tone. In concert recording your getting what is called a complex waveform. It is combined information from all sorts of frequencies mixed together. That is why it doesn't look smooth like this example. But the positive information and negative information still move upward and downward from the zero volt line. When your taking the digital out of the effected units the positive voltage is being recorded as negative and the negative is being recorded as positive. I'm no "real expert" but I think this is a big deal. I think that this is the information that is "essentially" telling your speaker to move either inward or outward. Compression = outward, rarefaction = inward. So obviously reversing these would seem to be pretty critical. I am not certain about this last part regarding speakers. Can anyone chime in?

The REALLY BIG part of our question is "what would be the effects of this inversion". Especially now that I know my room mics have been reversed in SO MANY instances I don't know how to answer that very well. I have never really been sure if room mics should have their phase flipped or not to begin with. I have heard engineers say that they should. I'd like to be able to have some time to experiment someday with a PA and a room. I think that generating a low frequency onstage (not through the console alone, maybe a synth miced from an amp and run direct) would be the way to go. All I know for sure is that sometimes I've needed to flip polarity and other times not.

To try to answer a bit, the effect would vary. The reason that low frequencies are normally effected morso than higher ones is something to do with the fact that the waveforms are large for low frequencies. The problem is that when you have 2 sources out of phase frequencies are cut and boosted depending. If something is copied, perfectly inverted 180 degrees and recombined without latency the sound will actually disappear. It is the exact positive and the exact negative canceling each other out. Like 2 + negative 2 equals 0, but with sound. It is physics. On top of this when you combine an equal positive with another positive it increases (doubles) the volume. Like 2 + 2 equals 4. With the complex waveforms being combined, even without the polarity issues this happens in degrees. This is why mixing audio is not "simple" (of course it's not rocket science either). Frequencies don't always "play nice" with each other. You will be getting some frequencies cutting while others boost. The large low frequency waveforms tend to be more noticeable because they line up easier to either boost or cut depending on the phase relation. I can't put in in words well. Like I said I'm not a good teacher. If there was a chalkboard I might have a better chance of getting my point across. So if any of this makes sense you can see how having the polarity improper would make the problems that much more apt to occur. Play around with reversing polarity and sliding sources by milliseconds to hear the effects for your self. Lots of plug ins allow you to reverse polarity with a click of the mouse. DP has one called "invert phase". I know some Waves plugs have a little + box that you can change to - . That is flipping the polarity. So if you have a session handy in which your making a matrix try flipping those to hear the effect.

That fact that different frequencies cycle at different rates makes combining sources more difficult.

I'm not sure how coherent this came out. Maybe some of that info will help you understand the effects. Maybe someone can correct or add to what I said. I definitely have trouble putting thoughts to words sometimes. Especially when it is something like this. I have a good understanding but not a complete comprehension good enough to REALLY get my point across.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 09:33:29 PM »

Please don't let a jackass or two impact your posting - I, for one, appreciate your generally very informative posts.  Keep 'em coming.

Ditto T+
TDS!

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 09:35:57 PM »
if my v3 is not under warranty anymore I have to pay Grace to have them put the digital out in phase with the input?  why should I have to pay for something that I didn't break in the first place?  am I in the wrong here thinking this should not be something we have to pay for?  otoh, I would gladly pay for it if it meant a renewel of my warranty, ala when the optical mod is performed.

thoughts?

Contact Jamie and ask if they'll cover it even if you're out of warranty, given the nature of the problem - a fundamental production flaw on their part.

here's Jamie's response.  it looks like the warranty question is a moot point since every v3 is still under warranty.

Hey Tim-

The first V3 (V3001) shipped October, 2002, thus every V3 in the field
is still covered by our warranty.  Cheers!

Great! Guess I'll just send mine in.

Scott, Sorry that sucks!
TDS!

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 09:41:29 PM »
I wish Apogee would stand behind their product like Grace. Jamie If you look in here by chance thanks.
TDS!

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 11:44:06 PM »
#1.  It is IMPOSIBLE to hear phase on a 2chan source unless they are out of phase with each other.  phase is 100% relative.
#2.  the best way to check for phase corectness is to mix two mono sources down to a single mono source.  If they are out of phase and they are identical sources. they will read -0- db (ie silent), if they are similar( like a stereo pair) the sound will be greatly diminished.  In phase it will be louder than the original sources.
#3.  In general listening the easiest ways to tell if your source (or playback) is wired out of phase is you will hear less bass responce in stereo than if you moved ballance over to just one speaker, and 2ndly the image will sound like shit. 

Clinton... I feel for you brother... you got the shit end of the stick but only if you were using the coax.  If you were using analog you were fine.  To my recolection you use a motu though and were probably using the coax (or optical) for your multi rig.  I had one of the R4's with chan 4 our of phase and it was a colosal pain in the ass before I sent it in for the fix.  It is really hard to hear phase when you are mixing multiple sources.  It really screwed me up when the neutrik combo xlr/1/4" jack turned out to be only out of phase on the xlr.  Talk about wasted time on the DAW...

Good luck guys, but 2 chan users you are fine.

Matt

*edit*  yes, in a multi/matrix situation you are going to muddy things up and lose parts of the recording... basically where things are the same between the wo sources.  Also if you want to hear what out of phase sounds like, unplug one of your speaker cables on your playback and reverse it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 11:51:17 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 12:15:08 AM »
Upon discovery we immediately corrected this issue in new production units.  Beginning with serial number V3497, all of the digital outputs are in phase with the input.  Any unit prior to this serial number will have inverted polarity on the digital outputs.

My unit is serial #V3167

Lets say I record the following:

source a: Mics > V3 coax > M1

source b: SBD > M1

If I don't reverse the polarity on the V3 source, by what this is saying the recordings would be 180 degrees out of phase from another?  I've never been able to matrix a SBD to a mic tape and been satisfied with the results, I always attributed the problem to not having the know-how to allign or deal with the drift correctly.  I've swapped the polarity before and the results were different, but I was thinking that it was the wrong thing to do. 

With one source being reversed, there is significant phase cancellation, or is that incorrect?  With speakers polarity, cancellation is obvious as hell, is this not essentially the same thing?  ???

If I sent files to someone recorded with the sources above, would anyone be willing to play around with them and see what they think?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 12:16:58 AM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 12:35:54 AM »
Upon discovery we immediately corrected this issue in new production units.  Beginning with serial number V3497, all of the digital outputs are in phase with the input.  Any unit prior to this serial number will have inverted polarity on the digital outputs.

My unit is serial #V3167

Lets say I record the following:

source a: Mics > V3 coax > M1

source b: SBD > M1

If I don't reverse the polarity on the V3 source, by what this is saying the recordings would be 180 degrees out of phase from another?  I've never been able to matrix a SBD to a mic tape and been satisfied with the results, I always attributed the problem to not having the know-how to allign or deal with the drift correctly.  I've swapped the polarity before and the results were different, but I was thinking that it was the wrong thing to do. 

With one source being reversed, there is significant phase cancellation, or is that incorrect?  With speakers polarity, cancellation is obvious as hell, is this not essentially the same thing?  ???

If I sent files to someone recorded with the sources above, would anyone be willing to play around with them and see what they think? 

a mic is a very small speaker run backwards... it is essentially the same thing.  mater of fact, you can plug your headphones into your mic input and use them like a mic... sounds like crap but the pricipals are the same.    l > r phase is a lot easier to hear than l+r > l+r phase.  I guarantee this is what your problem was.  I have a full plate right now, but if you wanted to send the sources (or upload to my server) I would hapily take a look at them and mix a song or two for you.

When mixing 2 sources that are as vastly different as aud and sbd you won't get absolute cancelation, but the cleanest parts of the aud tape will be canceled by the similar parts of the sbd tape and you get crap.  all the reverbarance and "room" will be fine  ;D

Matt
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 12:37:27 AM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 09:32:30 AM »
I had a hard time SLEEPING last night. I couldn't stop thinking about how many recordings of mine are fuct. I literally almost always run a matrix. The last 2 track recording I made was in August I think. I rarely run V3> VX Pocket. Except at Matt Murphys Pub which is the only place I go with no real sound reinforcement. I think have made at least 200 recordings with the V3 and AES outputs. A good chunk of those were full multitracks in which I might use the V3 for bass and kick drum, or overheads, or a piano, etc... I do most often use them for a stereo pair of rooms mics. I don't even have stuff notated well enough to know for sure what channels ran through my V3 for my backed up recordings. I usually right everything down on paper but no text file and never have time to fill in the notes on a session.

It now makes a lot more sense as to why I would have such a hard time finding a place to line up files for a matrix. Obviously I wouldn't line up the audio to be proper with the polarity 180 degrees off. This means I have been finding somewhere that is a few milliseconds off and then EQing. What I mean is that I would match a positive compression for each track. So now knowing the V3's channel was actually negative rarefactions swapped I know I had been mixing them out of phase and off by some milliseconds. No wonder why I am NEVER 100% happy with my mixes.

Last night I opened an Apollo Sunshine recording I was working on. Actually I had finished it but luckily I had not erased the session. I found a section where the bass was feeding back a low drone and there was one kick drum hit. Nothing else. I soloed the V3 channel. I looped a small section and let it play many times. I inserted a phase inversion plug in. I would bypass the plug in when the 3 second sample repeated. I heard a minor pitch change. Not a half step but some amount of cent. I think I'll try to make a mp3 clip to post. It is true that a single stereo track is not "night and day" different with the positive and negative info swapped but it is definitly different. Even if it is only a mathmatical/microscopic difference.

I am REALLY REALLY REALLY unhappy right now.

As I and someone else mentioned... I wonder how long they knew and why there was no mention until we figured it out. Was it someones decision to say that thy should just fix the new ones and hope nobody notices?

If all my stuff was two track I wouldn't be that upset. I would just be wasting a shitload of media I have it backed up to and could fix a recording with minimal effort. Well I guess there is the fact that however many people have the origional improper recording anyway. The point is that I can't just flip the polarity of all of these matrixes and multitracks.  :'(
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 09:41:05 AM by cleantone »

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 10:38:59 AM »
I just tried to recreate the experiment. Maybe it is my mind playing tricks on me. I grabbed one kick hit with the buzz drone behind it. I made a loop and repeated it four times. 1-2-3-4. Then I reversed the polarity on this and put them together. So the first 1-2-3-4 is reversed polarity and the second 2-2-3-4 if proper polarity. Obviously if there is a difference (which I think I do hear) it is VERY VERY subtle. I hear some change in tonality of the kick drum. Again, this is so very subtle it could be my brain tricking me even. Your gonna have to load these into a DAW for proper auditioning, unless you have another way to loop this section. I think it needs to repeat multiple times while you count out 1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4; 1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4. I am not really expecting everyone to hear what I might be but want to try anyway... just in case... I really think I can hear a SUPER SUBTLE difference. If your not a critical listener you I can easily see this sounding the same to you. I just tried on iPod headphones and could still hear it. So any playback system should work. Oh and quicktime worked okay for me. Loading it in a DAW will not hurt.

On another note I am surprised this thread does not have 1000 posts. Am I the only one who thinks this is a VERY BIG DEAL?

Another thing I noticed when testing yesterday is a very small latency between the alalog and digital outputs. Maybe it was my MOTU inputs but the AES signal was 2-3 milliseconds later than the analog. This of course makes perfect sense and should not have much impact on a multichannel recording. I supposed different cable length and different preamps would give the same minor offsets.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 10:56:21 AM »
I just tried to recreate the experiment. Maybe it is my mind playing tricks on me. I grabbed one kick hit with the buzz drone behind it. I made a loop and repeated it four times. 1-2-3-4. Then I reversed the polarity on this and put them together. So the first 1-2-3-4 is reversed polarity and the second 2-2-3-4 if proper polarity. Obviously if there is a difference (which I think I do hear) it is VERY VERY subtle. I hear some change in tonality of the kick drum. Again, this is so very subtle it could be my brain tricking me even. Your gonna have to load these into a DAW for proper auditioning, unless you have another way to loop this section. I think it needs to repeat multiple times while you count out 1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4; 1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4. I am not really expecting everyone to hear what I might be but want to try anyway... just in case... I really think I can hear a SUPER SUBTLE difference. If your not a critical listener you I can easily see this sounding the same to you. I just tried on iPod headphones and could still hear it. So any playback system should work. Oh and quicktime worked okay for me. Loading it in a DAW will not hurt.

On another note I am surprised this thread does not have 1000 posts. Am I the only one who thinks this is a VERY BIG DEAL?

Another thing I noticed when testing yesterday is a very small latency between the alalog and digital outputs. Maybe it was my MOTU inputs but the AES signal was 2-3 milliseconds later than the analog. This of course makes perfect sense and should not have much impact on a multichannel recording. I supposed different cable length and different preamps would give the same minor offsets.

i think it's all in your head

i bet if someone were to send you 2 files and 1 was reversed and you didn't know which was which, you woudln't be able to tell a difference

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 11:07:13 AM »

I'm trying to hear the difference in the sample you posted, and I convince myself that I think I can.  But I bet I couldn't tell in an ABX environment.  I think it's a big deal, theoretically.  Practically speaking, for my 2-ch recordings, I don't think it's a big deal since I can't hear the difference.  But maybe my hearing/listening is deficient.  Still undecided about whether or not I'll go back and invert phase on all my recordings.

If I was multi-tracking, it'd be a bigger deal to me - not because I'd need to go back and fix all my recordings (the first time I multi-tracked the V3 with another source I noticed the phase was inverted), but rather because it would add an additional step in the post production process (inverting the V3 source).
Roland R-05

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 11:10:00 AM »
The fix to previously transfered/mastered recordings is just a reversal of both channels polarity, correct?

Yes that is right. Don't expect a drastic difference of course.

i think it's all in your head

The more I revisit it the more I am convinced I hear the difference. It is such a subtle change in tonality, or timbre, or something. I can hear the drone change, the cymbol, and the kick drum. I tried reversing the order and I hear the change happen opposite of what this file does. It REALLY is super super subtle.

i bet if someone were to send you 2 files and 1 was reversed and you didn't know which was which, you woudln't be able to tell a difference

That is a pretty safe bet. Accept for the fact that a note should start with a positive pulse and not negative. At least I think I'm right about that.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 11:19:30 AM by cleantone »

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 11:10:35 AM »

Don't let this eat you up clinton!  It is simple psysics... every action has an oposite and equal reaction.  the positive of the the source pushes the speaker out and the negative pulls it back in equaliy.  there is minimal time delay out of phase but that is it.  You are probably hearing the plugin.  A real-time anomilie of the DAW.  Burn off 2 2chan samples and play them back on a CD... you won't hear a difference.  Or let me put together a sample for you to listen to blind.  I'll do 4 sources with 1 being out of phase.
     Another thing too.  There are still phase diferences in omni mics, but they are slight.  Any times you were using omni's through the v3 it should be not enough to even mess with it.  Has anyone posted this on the Oade forum?  I think Doug would be able to settle this.
     I'm just stunned it has never been noticed in 3 years!
Matt

Offline scb

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2006, 11:10:58 AM »
if you want another way to test, reverse your speaker wiring in both speakers. see if you can hear a difference

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2006, 11:56:43 AM »
if you want another way to test, reverse your speaker wiring in both speakers. see if you can hear a difference

I understand what you mean by this. I need to hear it back to back since the difference is so subtle. The notion that I am hearing the plug in does make sense. I have a feeling that it's not the case though. I think if the plug in made a tonal change that was audible when recombining the sources they would NOT cancel out 100%. These did. That tells me that the polarity was reversed without change to the sound.

If you take a sample. Copy it and reverse the polarity. Line them up on seperate tracks and play them back at 100% equal volume they will cancel. If you then move one track by 1 millisecond, or add a tenth of a db in volume, or make ANY change at all the sound will come back. It wont be as if you are playing only one of the other but any minor change will not cancel 100%. So the fact that after using the "invert phase" plug in they cancel 100% leads me to think there was no tonal change. So the difference I hear is not from the plug in.

Scott, your correct that a blind test with my ears alone would not be able to tell the difference when I'm not comparing back to back, like this sample. That is strange in itself actually. So I pretty much agree that it is not quite worth the effort for people who have done two track alone. One thing that bugs me is that I have a lot of multitracks I have not mixed from as far as three years back. For the most part I do not know which channels had the V3 used on them. Far too many to remember and my paper notes would be tossed on my way out of the gigs. My ambient recordings have good notation and if and when I have the time I can revisit them to mix again properly. Probably with a substancial difference in end product too. I'm not sure I'll ever actually be able to make time for that though. Not to mention the fact that a lot of those matrixes are circulating. I do have a lot that are not as well though.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 12:27:24 PM »
I think correct phase is very important.  Linn amps and pre-amps invert phase in some situations and you have to make sure you correctly flip your speaker leads as appropriate.  Different speakers will react differently.

It is simple psysics... every action has an oposite and equal reaction.  the positive of the the source pushes the speaker out and the negative pulls it back in equaliy.

I'm sorry but that's totally wrong.  We're not talking about a bouncing ball in a vacuum here.

Look at the waveform Cleantone posted and explain why it doesn't matter that the speaker cone is retracting and not pushing out on that first peak.

If all we listened to were sine waves, then maybe it wouldn't matter because those waves are symmetic.

there is a lot of discussion on this on the net.  My thoughts on this subject come from exaustive converstaions I had on the subject with an old friend who was (and maybe still is) a manufacturer of outdoor loudspeakers.  I am researching and I will post more info if I can find any two articles that agree with each other.  So far, thoes that sazy there is an audible difference say that it is dependant on frequency and amlitude as to if it is distinguishable.
   So far it appears as if, you are correct on this, in that it is not absolute, and if so I will appologise for my words and my adamancy.

Matt

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2006, 02:18:08 PM »
When worse comes to worse... ask a pro!  Check out the artical I referanced also.

Quote from: mmmatt
>> Hello David,
>> My name is Matthew McCulloch.  I have been researching the effects
>> of phase, or per your article
>> http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_phase/index.html  polarity
>> reversal.  I hope that you can find time to give me a little advice.
>>      I do some pro work, but primarily I am a hobbiest.  I belong
>> to an online forum where we discuss many aspects of hobbiest concert
>> archival
>> recording.  Recently, it was announced by Grace Designs, that their portable
>> pre/ADC the Lunatec V3 has had the coaxial digital output 180deg out
>> of phase
>> (or
>> more accurately with polarity reversed) since the un its
>> inception.  The V3 is
>> a VERY popular tool for us as it is arguably the best portable pre
>> available.
>>     In our little world most people use the V3 is used by some in
>> conjunction
>> with a multitrack rig, and some as simply a 2channel device for ambient
>> recording to either a DAT or to more advanced HD/solid state recorders.
>>      In the case of a multi source situation we all understand that polarity
>> must be flipped to achieve proper phase on the end recording.  There
>> is currently a rather heated debate as to if there is any difference in
>> a 2 channel source.
>>      Here is the question at hand:  With a 2 channel stereo
>> recording made from a unit that is flipping polarity 180 deg from
>> the original
>> source, is
>> there a difference audibly or otherwise.  Secondly, should these recordings
>> be adjusted to be back in correct polarity with the original source?
>>
>> Any help would be great!  Thank you for the information on your site
>> and articles such as the one referenced above.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Matthew McCulloch

Quote from: David Moulton
Quoting David Moulton <dave@moultonlabs.com>:

> Dear Matthew,
>
> Thanks for your email.
>
> In my limited opinion, absolute polarity is audible in some circumstances,
> so it should probably be accounted for, as part of good recording craft.  At
> the same time, its audibility effect seems to me to be quite minor, and it¹s
> no sure bet the ³correct² polarity is going to sound ³better² than incorrect
> polarity in any given case.
>
> So, mostly, once I¹m satisfied that relative polarity is correct in each
> source case, I don¹t worry about it unless I notice something really odd.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
>
> Best regards,
>
>
> Dave Moulton

>          Moulton Laboratories/Digital Media Services
>                978-448-6828, www.moultonlabs.com
>                           I mixed and mastered
>   the Hybrid SACD ³From Exile to Exaltation² which won the
>     2005 Independent Music Award for Best Gospel Song
>                  and has been listed among
>     ³Best of the Year Discs² by Audiophile Audition
>     I¹m the author and producer of the Audio Education Hits
> "Total Recording," "Golden Ears" and "Dave's Audio Lectures"
>      Copyright 2006 by David Moulton.  All rights reserved.
>                      Nunc tutus exitus computaris

Quote from: mmmatt
It helps a lot David.  Thanks for your time.

Matt

So what this means, is it is subjective.  It is most certainly not absolute as was explained to me years ago.  I'm gonna have to look that guy up.  Anyone know a Scott Swire?  Please all accept my appologies, and thanks to Freelunch for calling me on it...   
     I would also like to point out the potentially TRUE golden ears of TS being Brian Sax.  He has always bitched about the ADC of the V3 being thin and it seems as though there could now be reason for this!

Matt

Offline Brian

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2006, 02:30:41 PM »
awww shucks.....don't give me that much credit ;)   lots of others have shared my feelings before i owned that unit.  Anybody remember Natelsky's posts? ;D But +Thanks for the compliment!

However I didn't own the V3 for too long because of the A>D.  It seemed like everything 200Hz and lower really suffered to my ears.  I switched back to V2 > M1 because i thought it sounded a lot fuller and better in the low end.  I was also running TL's at the time so i was surprised at just how much their low end suffered through the V3.  All of my TL>V2>modsbm1 and TL>V2>M1 recordings are much better sounding than my TL>V3 recordings.

After reading this thread.....especially Clinton's posts.....i'm still confused on how Grace could not have noticed this in initial development and production. At least they are willing to fix it.

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2006, 02:41:55 PM »
Good work Matt. What he said makes absolute sense.

I would also like to point out the potentially TRUE golden ears of TS being Brian Sax.

Me too. I am really disapointed in myself for not ever noticing it. I can say that after flipping the polarity of one of my recent recordings. I was able to match the timing in seconds where it would normally take a while. After matching a snare hit I would nudge by a matter of samples over and over until I found the lesser of the evils. I think from now on I'll be matching kick drums and low frequency sounds since they are what can be effected most easily. It is still a bit of a chore. The distance of different sound sources combined with the different cycle rates combined with the effects of comb filtering make it a bugger. Unless a band is onstage making sine waves you can't match frequencies across the spectrum 100%. There is too much information in the complex waveform for that to happen. That is why I was able to make "good" mixes with the polarity flipped on the audience recording. In cases in which I couldn't I certainly have flipped phase. I just had no idea it was because of a flaw in the unit. Always assumed it was sound anomolies. I did so much auditioning and phase flipping this morning I can't even mix today. I'm resting my ears for at least a full day. So I'm having a Curb Your Enthusiasm marathon. Plus there is a Twilight Zone one on TV. My ears are shot right now.

I'm still dumbfounded. I'm also waiting to hear back from Jamie about getting it fixed. From looking at the numbers can we assume that there has only been about 500 units made? If so that is a little surprising. Though I guess it shouldn't be.

However I didn't own the V3 for too long because of the A>D.  It seemed like everything 200Hz and lower really suffered to my ears.  I switched back to V2 > M1 because i thought it sounded a lot fuller and better in the low end.  I was also running TL's at the time so i was surprised at just how much their low end suffered through the V3.  All of my TL>V2>modsbm1 and TL>V2>M1 recordings are much better sounding than my TL>V3 recordings.

I have always assumed my non perfect monitoring situation had a lot to do with my low end issues when I felt I had them. I wonder how many hours I have tossed away reworking mixes and listing on all sorts of playback systems? Far too many to think about. I am soldering up some shorty polarity reversed Canare's for a quick fix. I'd rather do that than process the files after the fact. Now I wish I had one of those "burn in" units to use. Maybe I should just snip some old cables to save that effort. Eureka!

After reading this thread.....especially Clinton's posts.....i'm still confused on how Grace could not have noticed this in initial development and production. At least they are willing to fix it.

Seriously. I really don't know how that could have went three years without being discovered. Also, again how it was not announced either. Pretty crazy.  ::)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2006, 03:16:23 PM »
Thanks for getting another source on the phase question, Matt.

I called Grace today to try and figure out whether my v3 has the problem (it is in a rack and I can't get to the serial number).  I bought mine around Dec 9 and it is apparently one of the first 10 units to ship with the fix.  I'll verify that soon enough just to be sure.

But FWIW.. I did a comp a while back with this v3 and it seemed to be lacking bass. I think there were too many differences in this comp to infer too much from that but I thought I'd mention it. Especially since Alex had a great quote "Must be the V3 that sucked the low end out of the Rmod box."

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=59008.0

Offline Brian

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2006, 03:17:39 PM »
clinton - what you said is the exact reason why i don't track drums unless each preamp for each mike has a polarity switch.  i find myself routinely flipping polarity on the kick drum or one of the overheads in order to maintain that "Full" sound and non-weird sounding midrange affected by a comb filter.  in my short experience out of phase audio yields a suffered low end a weird sounding mid range.

don't beat yourself up though.  

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2006, 03:30:28 PM »
in my short experience out of phase audio yields a suffered low end a weird sounding mid range.

But in this scenario, as I understand it, out of phase relative to the other audio involved in recording/playback is fundamentally different than inverted but relative phase.  Not sure I understand the parallel you're drawing...?

I really don't know how that could have went three years without being discovered.

I think it took 3 years to identify precisely because it is not audible (at least not to me).  When Grace first reported that the first 100 V3's did not have a DC offset of 0, some people completely freaked out.  One of the explicitly stated reasons by Mike Grace that they didn't catch it is because the DC offset simply wasn't audible.  (Still, of course, they offered to fix all the boxes affected under warranty.)

Anyway...I've been thinking about phase within the context of 2 channel recording, and my initial thoughts suggest that it doesn't (or shouldn't) matter, that what's important is relative phase across the two channels - and that's why I don't hear a difference when ABX-ing a 2-ch recording with a particular phase v. inverted phase.  Lemme test my thoughts on everyone...

We have a speaker.  A + voltage pushes the cone outwards, a - voltage pulls the cone inwards.  The result, in a perfect world, is a single-cycle sine wave of given amplitude.  In reality, the waveform propagates in all three dimensions and is much more complex, but for the sake of simplicity in discussion, let's look at this sine wave in two dimensions.  For this two dimensional waveform, relative to the horizontal plane on which my speaker rests the + side of the sine wave arcs upwards and the - side of the sine wave arcs downwards.  At some defined point, X, from the speaker, the waveform reaches my ears.  Let's assume that at this point, the + arc reaches my ears first, followed by the - arc.  Make sense?

Now, two modifications to the above scenario:

<01>  Change my listening orientation at point X
For example, hanging upside down with my head in precisely the same location, X, as above.  Now, the waveform reaching my ears is effectively inverted relative to to the previous scenario.  The + arc still reaches my ears first, followed by the - arc, but the orientation of the waveform relative to my ears is 180º inverted.  Does this fundamentally change the way I hear the waveform?  Since our listening position is never precisely the same across any period of listening time (unless you're strapped to a body board, with a neck brace, restricting all movement), our listening orientation impacts the phase throughout our listening experience.

<02>  Change my listening position from point X to point Y
Let's assume point Y is forward of my current listening position by exactly 1/2 of the waveform cycle.  The result is that now the - arc of the waveform reaches my ears first, followed by the + arc.  In the more complex real world, different frequencies will reach our ears with different phase - some frequencies' - arc will reach our ears first, other frequencies' + arc will reach our ears first, and still others somewhere in between.  So does this phase offset fundamentally change the way I hear the waveform?  Maybe in the most absolutely controlled of playback environments, but even for most very high end playback systems I don't see how phase inversion would matter to the listener.

It seems to me that if we extrapolate this very two dimensional model into three dimensional reality, phase inversion will occur as a result of either or both of the above scenarios, and that the phase inversion (and time arrival offset, for that matter) makes no difference, or at least is no more or less important than one's ears' orientation (in all three dimensions) relative to the speaker.

Thoughts?
Roland R-05

Offline Brian

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2006, 03:32:07 PM »
i'm not drawing any parallels.  just making a statement based upon my observations.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2006, 03:34:40 PM »
i'm not drawing any parallels.

Heh, well...no wonder I didn't grasp one, you weren't making one!  I get it now.  Thanks for the clarification, Brian.
Roland R-05

Offline Brian

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2006, 03:54:44 PM »
BTW - i'm looking into your post. I'm trying to find info on why correcting DC offset is important and not really related to the sound of your audio.  something about sending a master to a pressing house with DC offset will yield "errors" but i can't think of them off the top of my head.

The pros at prosoundweb.com have talked about this extensively but searching that forum is like 6x the battle of finding info here.

<01>  Change my listening orientation at point X
For example, hanging upside down with my head in precisely the same location, X, as above.  Now, the waveform reaching my ears is effectively inverted relative to to the previous scenario.  The + arc still reaches my ears first, followed by the - arc, but the orientation of the waveform relative to my ears is 180º inverted.  Does this fundamentally change the way I hear the waveform?  Since our listening position is never precisely the same across any period of listening time (unless you're strapped to a body board, with a neck brace, restricting all movement), our listening orientation impacts the phase throughout our listening experience.

<02>  Change my listening position from point X to point Y
Let's assume point Y is forward of my current listening position by exactly 1/2 of the waveform cycle.  The result is that now the - arc of the waveform reaches my ears first, followed by the + arc.  In the more complex real world, different frequencies will reach our ears with different phase - some frequencies' - arc will reach our ears first, other frequencies' + arc will reach our ears first, and still others somewhere in between.  So does this phase offset fundamentally change the way I hear the waveform?  Maybe in the most absolutely controlled of playback environments, but even for most very high end playback systems I don't see how phase inversion would matter to the listener.

It seems to me that if we extrapolate this very two dimensional model into three dimensional reality, phase inversion will occur as a result of either or both of the above scenarios, and that the phase inversion (and time arrival offset, for that matter) makes no difference, or at least is no more or less important than one's ears' orientation (in all three dimensions) relative to the speaker.

Thoughts?

wow....where to start....

first off...i'm confused by this supposed "2D model".  there;s nothing two dimensional about how we perceive audio.  I'm also confused on why you think that changing your head position will correct/flip phase.  we hear 3 dimensionally and we percieve direction based upon time of arrival and amplitude.  hanging upside down won't be any different than sitting up in a chair at the same location.  you ears should(at least in theory in my mind) should pick up the sound the same.

in your second scenario, you are percieving half or quarter waves depending on which frequncy you are using in your test.  you are getting pretty scientific thus you need to figure out how long the wave is you are using.  wavelength = speed of sound divided by the frequency in Hz.  you can't just think that because you are exactly half way then the negative arc will reach your ears first.  you have to properly measure that.

or are you assuming that in your second scenario?

Offline mbgrace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Grace Design home page
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2006, 03:59:01 PM »
Hi All,
First, let me apologize for our mistake in wiring the a/d converter in the V3.  It is a simple thing to check in the design phase of a product and we missed it.
If you are a V3 owner and would like to have your unit corrected please send it to us and we will quickly make the repair, test, calibrate, burn-in and return your unit to you.  There is no need to contact us ahead of time as we have posted a Return Authorization form on our web site at: http://www.gracedesign.com/support/v3_polarity_rma.pdf   Simply fill in this form and put it in the box with your V3 and ship it to us. 
While all V3s are currently under the original 5 year factory warranty we will repair this problem under warranty for the lifetime of the unit.

Now,  I think I should comment on the effects of this problem with respect to stereo and multitrack recording.  The fact that we missed this problem in all of our R&D listening tests and that we shipped almost 500 units without this problem being detected is a testament to how subtle absolute phase reversal is.  In fact, it was initially brought to our attention by a customer who happened across the problem while viewing waveforms on the computer screen.  While I personally have difficulty hearing the difference of polarity reversal, I do know people who claim that it is audible.  When pressed, however, they have not been able to give a description of the difference or weather it is “worse” or “better” sounding. 
That said, I fully agree with David Moulton's opinion that polarity of every signal involved in a recording should be “accounted for”.  As tapers and engineers we need to rely on our tools to behave in a predictable way and this includes polarity.
This becomes much more important in the context of multi channel recording as the audible effects of absolute polarity reversal when mixing with correctly phased signals is not subtle.  In the case of a soundboard matrix recording, if the room mics are inverted relative the the soundboard signal, there will be some cancellation when the two are mixed together.  The reason that some of you have reported difficulty with track alignment is undoubtedly because of this.  I sincerely apologize for any recordings that were rendered badly because of this issue.

Again, my apologies for the confusion here.  We are doing all that we can, as quickly as we can, to rectify this problem.
As always, our mission is to provide the best possible tools and support for capturing and creating the art of music.
Sincerely,
Michael Grace
Michael Grace
Grace Design/Lunatec LLC

Offline Brian

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2006, 04:07:07 PM »
Thanks for the response Mike.  Does this mean that Grace design does not put a tone from an oscillator through each unit and look at it through a scope of some sort or a frequency analyzer on a computer prior to authorization for shipping?  It seems to me that the problem could have been seen then ???

i know your time is limited but if you could go into more detail on how you test your products that would help.

edit:  or maybe this test does not show the problem?  Just curious.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 04:08:41 PM by Brian Sax »

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2006, 04:13:27 PM »
Hi All,
First, let me apologize for our mistake in wiring the a/d converter in the V3.  It is a simple thing to check in the design phase of a product and we missed it.
If you are a V3 owner and would like to have your unit corrected please send it to us and we will quickly make the repair, test, calibrate, burn-in and return your unit to you.  There is no need to contact us ahead of time as we have posted a Return Authorization form on our web site at: http://www.gracedesign.com/support/v3_polarity_rma.pdf   Simply fill in this form and put it in the box with your V3 and ship it to us. 
While all V3s are currently under the original 5 year factory warranty we will repair this problem under warranty for the lifetime of the unit.

Now,  I think I should comment on the effects of this problem with respect to stereo and multitrack recording.  The fact that we missed this problem in all of our R&D listening tests and that we shipped almost 500 units without this problem being detected is a testament to how subtle absolute phase reversal is.  In fact, it was initially brought to our attention by a customer who happened across the problem while viewing waveforms on the computer screen.  While I personally have difficulty hearing the difference of polarity reversal, I do know people who claim that it is audible.  When pressed, however, they have not been able to give a description of the difference or weather it is “worse” or “better” sounding. 
That said, I fully agree with David Moulton's opinion that polarity of every signal involved in a recording should be “accounted for”.  As tapers and engineers we need to rely on our tools to behave in a predictable way and this includes polarity.
This becomes much more important in the context of multi channel recording as the audible effects of absolute polarity reversal when mixing with correctly phased signals is not subtle.  In the case of a soundboard matrix recording, if the room mics are inverted relative the the soundboard signal, there will be some cancellation when the two are mixed together.  The reason that some of you have reported difficulty with track alignment is undoubtedly because of this.  I sincerely apologize for any recordings that were rendered badly because of this issue.

Again, my apologies for the confusion here.  We are doing all that we can, as quickly as we can, to rectify this problem.
As always, our mission is to provide the best possible tools and support for capturing and creating the art of music.
Sincerely,
Michael Grace

That's what you call customer service folks... Thanks for your attention on this Mike!!!!!

first off...i'm confused by this supposed "2D model".  there;s nothing two dimensional about how we perceive audio.  I'm also confused on why you think that changing your head position will correct/flip phase.  we hear 3 dimensionally and we percieve direction based upon time of arrival and amplitude.  hanging upside down won't be any different than sitting up in a chair at the same location.  you ears should(at least in theory in my mind) should pick up the sound the same.

alright Mr. Golden Ears... ha!  True phase is actually relative to delay.  Actual phase reversal is diferent accross the audio spectrum because each wave length is difference in size.  At a point 1/2 way through the wave length, the phase is inverted 180 deg.  What we have with the v3 is actually not phase but it is polarity reversal.  so the distance from one source to the other does have impact on absolute phase (I think that is linear phase).  So unless you are perfectly positioned between your two speakers.  You are infact hearing something that is out of phase by a tiny bit.  Even by compensating with louder volume on the side furthest away, you are still not correcting phase because the amplitude does not determine the size of the wav.
   So, you are only correct if your ears are perfectly equidistant from each of the two sources.

Matt

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2006, 04:15:17 PM »
I'm trying to find info on why correcting DC offset is important and not really related to the sound of your audio.  something about sending a master to a pressing house with DC offset will yield "errors" but i can't think of them off the top of my head.

I vaguely recall reading a piece off-TS that discussed sonic impact of DC offset during the mastering process.  Don't think I'll go try to find it again, though. 

first off...i'm confused by this supposed "2D model".  there;s nothing two dimensional about how we perceive audio.

Yes, I understand we perceive audio three dimensionally.  The two dimensional model was for simplicity of discussion and it seems easy enough to extrapolate that model out into the more complex three dimensional world.

I'm also confused on why you think that changing your head position will correct/flip phase.  we hear 3 dimensionally and we percieve direction based upon time of arrival and amplitude.  hanging upside down won't be any different than sitting up in a chair at the same location.  you ears should(at least in theory in my mind) should pick up the sound the same.

That's kinda what I was getting at in a roundabout sort of way.  Again, using the two dimensional model for discussion simplicity, it shouldn't matter sonically to the listener whether the "upward" arc is generated by a + voltage driving the speaker outwards or a - voltage driving the speaker inwards.  Extrapolate into the more complex three dimensional world, and whether any given waveform's arc is produced by a + voltage driving the speaker outwards, or a - voltage pulling the speaker inwards simply doesn't matter.  Why would it matter if any given waveform's arc is up or down, left or right, or anywhere in between - I don't see how it could matter.  Hanging upside down was simply a way of illustrating inversion in the two dimensional model without changing the polarity of the source (in this case recording + playback system).

in your second scenario, you are percieving half or quarter waves depending on which frequncy you are using in your test.  you are getting pretty scientific thus you need to figure out how long the wave is you are using.  wavelength = speed of sound divided by the frequency in Hz.  you can't just think that because you are exactly half way then the negative arc will reach your ears first.  you have to properly measure that.

or are you assuming that in your second scenario?

I wasn't assuming any measurement.  The specific measurement doesn't matter, it's the abstraction in this case that matters.  Pick whatever measurement you want, such that the single two dimensional waveform in my example reaches your ears - arc first, followed by + arc, i.e. opposite order of the original scenario.

Of course, in the complex real world - as I suggested - given a broad range of waveform cycle lengths, no single location will cause all frequencies to arrive + arc first followed by - arc.  Some will arrive - arc first, then +.  And still others will arrive at some other interval mid-arc.  Which is exactly my point - phase inversion - whether the speaker pushes out or pulls in to generate the waveforms arc - as long as its relative across channels - not only shouldn't matter theoretically to the listener, but shouldn't matter practically because there's FAR more going on in the real, complex listening world that impacts the listening experience.

But I'm no techie, I'm just trying to think through this stuff for myself based on my own very limited knowledge set.  For all I know, the phase inversion makes a world of difference - but it's not audible to my ears.
Roland R-05

Offline Brian

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2006, 04:16:38 PM »
i'm sorry....i should have said polarity reversal.  sorry for the confusion!  biggest word swap in audio history? when a company who makes pre's says that they have phase inverter switchs....i get a little worried about their product ;)

Offline Brian

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2006, 04:18:10 PM »
re: skalinder's last post......

as an engineer once told me. 

waveforms mean nothing.  perception is everything

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2006, 04:22:13 PM »
Hi All,

Sincerely,
Michael Grace
This is 100% class thank you!
This is why I look forward to continuing my relationship with Grace.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2006, 04:26:06 PM »
i'm sorry....i should have said polarity reversal.

Whoops, I meant polarity reversal, too.  Doh!!

re: skalinder's last post......

as an engineer once told me. 

waveforms mean nothing.  perception is everything

Exactly why this isn't a big deal for me - I perceive absolutely no difference between my V3 recordings regardless of polarity, as long as I have relative polarity across both channels.  My other posts are just my ramblings trying to comprehend *why* I don't perceive a difference.  Don't mind me...
Roland R-05

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2006, 04:57:57 PM »
This is why I look forward to continuing my relationship with Grace.

How long you been with her?  ;D

Does this mean that Grace design does not put a tone from an oscillator through each unit and look at it through a scope of some sort or a frequency analyzer on a computer prior to authorization for shipping?  It seems to me that the problem could have been seen then Huh? or maybe this test does not show the problem?  Just curious.

I don't know what they do obviously. I would think that sending an oscillator in the unit alone would not really alert you to this. Espessially if your not looking for this problem. Once the oscillator is on the tone being even and continuous you probably wouldn't be able to distinguish any "attack" to look for + vs. - . If you were testing for latency between the analog and digital outputs by recording into a DAW then you would/should notice.

Offline mbgrace

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Grace Design home page
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2006, 05:39:57 PM »
Thanks for the response Mike.  Does this mean that Grace design does not put a tone from an oscillator through each unit and look at it through a scope of some sort or a frequency analyzer on a computer prior to authorization for shipping?  It seems to me that the problem could have been seen then ???

i know your time is limited but if you could go into more detail on how you test your products that would help.

edit:  or maybe this test does not show the problem?  Just curious.

This is a good question Brian.  In production the V3 goes through a battery of tests on our Audio Precision analyzer.
We measure the following parameters:
Analog-
Frequency response (including checking the high pass filters at each roll off frequency)
Distortion and noise
Intermodulation distortion
crosstalk
Gain accuracy at each gain setting
Trim control accuracy
MS decode accuracy
Input pad accuracy
EIN (equivalent input noise)
CMRR (common mode rejection ratio)

Digital-
Frequency response (at each sample rate)
Noise
Distortion
Crosstalk
single wire/dual wire functionality
ANSR spectrum accuracy

After all this each unit gets hooked up to a CD player via a custom box that converts the CD output to a mic level signal.  This allows us to listen to the unit with full program material to make sure it sounds right and that all of the controls function with no audible problems.  We do occasionally reject preamplifiers at this stage for problems that did not show up on the bench test.

There is no polarity test in our V3 production routine because the V3 has no wire in the signal path that could be connected improperly.  All of the connectors are pc mounted.  If the circuit board design is correct then all units would have correct polarity and there would be no need to test each unit for it.  Unfortunately I never verified the ADC pcb design for polarity in the R&D phase. :-[

We do test the absolute polarity on other products where there is a potential for miswiring during assembly.

Oh, in case I missed the point of your question,  there are no measureable differences between normal and inverted polarity except for the 180º phase angle.

Michael

Michael Grace
Grace Design/Lunatec LLC

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2006, 05:54:54 PM »
R&D problems happen.  They happen all the time.  A company owning up to the problems does not happen all the time much less at all.  This is why I have spent my money on Grace products and one of the reasons why I will continue to buy their products.  A company with people that care about their customer base in the first place as well as being positive members in the community that they help support.

Thanks Mike!

So what is the expected turnaround time if I were to send mine in to you guys in Boulder?

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2006, 06:02:13 PM »
So what is the expected turnaround time if I were to send mine in to you guys in Boulder?

the PDF sheet (Return Merchandise Authorization Form) that Michael posted in his first post of this thread states "Grace Desgin will repair your unit in approximately 3 business days and ship is directly back to you."

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2006, 06:46:00 PM »
I don't own a V3, nor do I know much about polarity, but all of this reminds me of an experience I had 6 years ago when I bought my first subwoofer. I pluged it in, had it kicking, and then started to look at the switches in the back. It had a polarity switch, and I was like WTF is that? I read up in the manual, and searched online a bit, and had an ah-ha moment about how freakin' important it was to be consistent with the red-black colors of the speaker cables from the receiver to the speakers. Doh! All of those younger years I had no freakin' clue how important that was. After playing around endlessly with my stereo after learning this, I found that (to my ears) it mattered more that they were all wired the same way (either red-to-red or black-to-red), rather than some stupid miss-mash like I had going before. I remember feeling like an idiot, but I finally understood why it mattered because I COULD HEAR it when the polarity was different between the speakers. It was also quite amazing when I started playing with that polarity switch on the subwoofer. Since it wasn't "red" or "black," I wasn't sure which direction to flip it once I had all of my speakers correct. So, I put my head right inbetween the sub and a speaker and flipped the switch back and forth. Ah man, the difference was NIGHT AND DAY -- it was like a noise-cancelation machine on the low end! Switch it one way, no bass at all coming from either place, switch it back and BOOM, BOOM, BOOM (at least it worked that way before I turned on the low-pass routing to the sub, which removed the freqs from the speakers altogether, but with the bass in the speaker and the sub). It was incredible how much it dampened the bass, it was so obvious it wasn't even funny. It really gave me a new appreciation for polarity that's for sure.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 06:51:13 PM by Tainted »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Brian

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2006, 08:18:02 PM »
Muchas Gracias, Mike.  You RAWK \m/  Keep up all the great work!

RebelRebel

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2006, 09:14:13 PM »

I vaguely recall reading a piece off-TS that discussed sonic impact of DC offset during the mastering process.  Don't think I'll go try to find it again, though. 

when an audio file  has DC offset, zero is not actually zero. So if you insert that into a good audio track, you get a click when it hits the wave file, and another when it stops.

The biggest problem is that this offset means one side of the wave will clip before the other one (if basically balanced waveforms). If the source is pushing close to 0dbfs, removing DC offset should be used to see if you get more headroom.

Most "prosumer" DC offset removal tools not only remove DC offset but remove good stuff too, and cause the audio to suffer.  a lot of instruments that involve force ( our breath) going largely in one direction to produce sound end up producing waveforms that look screwed up(ie skewed in one direction). (trumpet, trombone, oboe)but in all actuality are perfectly normal.

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2006, 10:16:34 PM »
Interesting article in Tape OP polarity reversal.  Got it in the mail today and had a chuckle.  Essentially, the writer explains how you can use polarity to your advantage when recording in a studio environment.

RebelRebel

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2006, 06:24:45 AM »
#1.  It is IMPOSIBLE to hear phase on a 2chan source unless they are out of phase with each other.  phase is 100% relative.

that just isn't correct. With some instruments(percussion particularly) some people can definitely tell between correct and inverted playback. not just with stereo , either..

Sure most cannot hear it, but to say that it impossible is not accurate.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 06:35:49 AM by Teddy »

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2006, 07:20:28 AM »

that just isn't correct. With some instruments(percussion particularly) some people can definitely tell between correct and inverted playback. not just with stereo , either..

Sure most cannot hear it, but to say that it impossible is not accurate.
yeah... we coverd that Ted

Matt

Offline Brian

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2006, 09:55:23 AM »
Most "prosumer" DC offset removal tools not only remove DC offset but remove good stuff too, and cause the audio to suffer.  a lot of instruments that involve force ( our breath) going largely in one direction to produce sound end up producing waveforms that look screwed up(ie skewed in one direction). (trumpet, trombone, oboe)but in all actuality are perfectly normal.

i'll never forget the first time i tracked a trumpet.  i freaked out when i saw the waveforms as i thought something was wrong.  weirdest looking waveforms ever.

thanks for the input on the DC offset.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2006, 11:57:11 AM »

i'll never forget the first time i tracked a trumpet.  i freaked out when i saw the waveforms as i thought something was wrong.  weirdest looking waveforms ever.

Ah, man! Teddy and Brian Sax, where were you guys when I needed you most? You could have cleared up my recent problem in a second with those quotes. I thought my pre was screwed, until I did some more research and learned it wasn't my pre at all. LOL!  :)

See this thread here for what I'm talking about:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=60987.0

-- Taint
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Brian

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2006, 12:04:51 PM »

Ah, man! Teddy and Brian Sax, where were you guys when I needed you most? You could have cleared up my recent problem in a second with those quotes. I thought my pre was screwed, until I did some more research and learned it wasn't my pre at all. LOL!  :)

-- Taint

i saw that.  you didn't mention what instrument(s) you were recording int he first post so i figured it was some kind of error with your preamp.  sorry about that! +

everything cool now though?

RebelRebel

« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2006, 12:06:49 PM »
I get wavforms like that all the time with the stuff I record..(classical)...I dont worry about it anymore. Like Brian said, if it sounds right, it is right, "looks" aside.

-- Taint

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2006, 12:16:54 PM »
Yeah, the pre is fine, Busman Mod +. He was nice enough to offer up to look at it, but after mastering the recording more, especially the main sets, it became very clear that it only happened when a horn was "blasting," or "muted". I didn't notice that at first, but did after spending some quality time with the recording. It was totally predictable, and sometimes it was on the plus side and sometimes the minus side (this was a 10+ -piece big band), which still seems a bit odd, but that might have been a FOH issue between the mics/pres the FOH was using? Not sure, but it all sounded fine. Anyway, after some searching, I learned that asymmetircal waveforms are totally normal for horns. Funny thing is, the artists I asked had no clue WTF I was talking about or even asking. Well, now I know, but on that first set, I clipped the hell out of the one side. Oh well, live and learn.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2006, 05:11:28 PM »
It seems the V3 isn't the only ADC to have this issue.  From the AD2K manual:

PLEASE NOTE: An internal absolute polarity inversion error was discovered some time after the creation of the AD2402-96/AD2K+. The following table is revised from the original and should be used instead of the original table.

Roland R-05

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2006, 06:51:29 PM »
thats crazy, i thought my matrix's would NEVER line up correctly, after about 10 mins, they be off a millisecond or so  :-\
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2006, 06:52:04 PM »
just emailed jamie tho, i want this resolved quickly

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2006, 07:04:21 PM »
thats crazy, i thought my matrix's would NEVER line up correctly, after about 10 mins, they be off a millisecond or so  :-\

Bean - the reversed polarity doesn't affect your clock drift, only your relative phase.  Even after getting the reversed polarity fixed, you'll still have clock drift across sources using two different ADCs, unless you sync the word clocks.
Roland R-05

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2006, 07:15:31 PM »
just thought that I'd say that, as usual, Grace Design's customer service was top notch, and they fixed my V3 very quickly and got it back out to me.  total time I didn't have it was 10 days, and 8 of those days were for shipping to/from :)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2006, 07:15:56 PM »
Bean - the reversed polarity doesn't affect your clock drift, only your relative phase.  Even after getting the reversed polarity fixed, you'll still have clock drift across sources using two different ADCs, unless you sync the word clocks.

No doubt.  The drift has no relation to the the inverted polarity.  Syncing word clocks is the only way to cure the drift problem.  Also you should be lucky to only have a millisecond or two off.  Even two identical V3's or two identical AD2k's would not necessarily match up with one another.  Nature of the beast.

And remember that everyone LOVED the sound of the V3 and the AD2k before anyone knew of the problem so it tells me that while a problem has existed it has not been significant enough to greatly affect the sound or at least one's perception of the sound.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2006, 09:52:00 PM »
gotcha guys, i undertsnad what yourte saying

on another note, as stated, grace is TOP-NOTCH service, jamie emailed me back 2.5 hrs after my initial email to him giving me the rma link and just saying whats up

grace rules, and i'll be shipping mine back asap :)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2006, 03:33:34 AM »
i'll be taking mine over this week once i call/email jamie.  didn't see this till just now!  i don't need any help from the equipment to fuck up recordings, so i'm only taking mine over to be on the safe side.  it's not a huge deal to me.  i've loved the sound up till now and this doesn't change it for me.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2006, 09:52:56 AM »
Someone should do a side by side comp to see if anyone can even detect the fix.

No side-by-side comp necessary.  Just invert the waveform in an audio editor, save as a new file, and listen to the original v. the inverted file.
Roland R-05

Offline PG

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2006, 09:56:08 AM »
Someone should do a side by side comp to see if anyone can even detect the fix.

No side-by-side comp necessary.  Just invert the waveform in an audio editor, save as a new file, and listen to the original v. the inverted file.

Oh yeah. Brain not working this morning...

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2006, 12:00:55 PM »
Sent mine out on 5/5 by FedEx ground and got it back yesterday. Thanks Grace  ;D
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: V3 (< V3497) digital outputs out of phase relative to analog outputs
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2006, 01:01:33 PM »
Finally got this done! They cleaned the hell out of it too. Fixed my ANSR LED circuit too. Unfortunatly I think it may have been dropped as well. There is a big ding on a corner that I do not recall having before. Good thing this is built like a tank.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2006, 01:04:43 PM »
Finally got this done! They cleaned the hell out of it too. Fixed my ANSR LED circuit too. Unfortunatly I think it may have been dropped as well. There is a big ding on a corner that I do not recall having before. Good thing this is built like a tank.

Perhaps you didn't see the dent before through all the crud.  :P
Roland R-05

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2007, 04:23:11 PM »
I just read this thread.  It appears that this issue could be very important if I am using a V3 on two channels, and recording the board from the other two, without having the fix done.  If I am reading/understanding correctly, one of the two channels is 180 degrees out of phase.  Is it as simple as reversing the polarity of one of the V3 channels when mixing, or is there something else that I need to do, until this unit gets the fix?  Will I be able to easily see which channel is screwed up when looking at the four waveforms on the computer?  Glad I read this before the new machine arrived.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2007, 04:36:40 PM »
If I am reading/understanding correctly, one of the two channels is 180 degrees out of phase.

Not quite.  The digital output pair of channels has inverted polarity relative to the analog output pair of channels.  The polarity within each pair is fine.

Is it as simple as reversing the polarity of one of the V3 channels when mixing, or is there something else that I need to do, until this unit gets the fix?  Will I be able to easily see which channel is screwed up when looking at the four waveforms on the computer?  Glad I read this before the new machine arrived.

Again, not quite - you'll want to check the polarity of the pair of V3 channels relative to your other source.  You should check if you're recording on two different pieces of gear, or if mixing AUD + SBD, anyway.  If one pair is inverted relative to the other, yes...it's as easy as reversing the polarity when mixing in post-production.
Roland R-05

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2007, 04:46:31 PM »
I am going to be recording four separate channels, two via the V3 into the R-4 Pro, and two from the board, directly into the machine.  So what exactly do I need to be concerned about when putting it on the computer?  Are the board and mic feeds going to be out of phase?

BTW, after now crossing the newbie threshold, and being able to +T, you are receiving my first one for this and so many other helpful responses that you have given me since I got on this board.  Wow, even rounded you up to an even 3100  8)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 04:49:16 PM by gratefulphish »
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2007, 05:59:44 PM »
I am going to be recording four separate channels, two via the V3 into the R-4 Pro, and two from the board, directly into the machine.  So what exactly do I need to be concerned about when putting it on the computer?  Are the board and mic feeds going to be out of phase?

The MIC channels and the SBD channels may or may not be out of phase relative to one another, so just check to make sure.
Roland R-05

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2007, 06:15:09 PM »
How do I check, can I see it in the waveform, or do I have to tell by just listening?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2007, 06:16:47 PM »
How do I check, can I see it in the waveform, or do I have to tell by just listening?

Do both.  You should be able to see it in the waveform - sometimes when zoomed out, sometimes need to zoome -way- in.  Out-of-phase is most audible as a lack of bass, but it may not always be easy to hear, depending on the source.
Roland R-05

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2007, 06:45:15 PM »
or run v3>xlr's>r-4 and sbd>r-4 til you get the issue fixed

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2007, 05:00:36 PM »

By that, I assume you mean analog out of the V3, and not AES/EBU.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2007, 09:06:02 PM »

By that, I assume you mean analog out of the V3, and not AES/EBU.

exactly :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.237 seconds with 112 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com