Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oade ACM V3  (Read 61591 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Oade ACM V3
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2007, 05:38:23 PM »
same.
when Carl had his, I took it apart to check it out.  some shrink wrap here and there, but no parts were entombed in goop.

Huh?  Doug must have changed his ways then.  Sounds like for the better.  ;D

I'm pretty sure there is a past thread with pics of the above mentioned goop.

Online Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2007, 05:50:42 PM »

Well, I hope when he gets out of the "mod" business he shows or teaches someone the "mod" trade.  Lord knows we'll need someone to carry the flame...
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2007, 05:54:08 PM »

Well, I hope when he gets out of the "mod" business he shows or teaches someone the "mod" trade.  Lord knows we'll need someone to carry the flame...

You know i've had this conversation about Doug for a while.  To me the biggest asset he has is his ears.  When we discussed this V3 mod he listed of a bunch of the latest and greatest chips out there and then talked about the ones old and new that sounded the best to him.  Big difference. 

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2007, 10:26:29 PM »
the innards of our m118 were encased in silicone (goop)

There's quite a bit of this in the cabling going into the xlr's etc...  It's not an attempt at disguising the parts simply adding strength to the connections.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2007, 10:29:45 PM »

You know i've had this conversation about Doug for a while.  To me the biggest asset he has is his ears.  When we discussed this V3 mod he listed of a bunch of the latest and greatest chips out there and then talked about the ones old and new that sounded the best to him.  Big difference. 

He can hear things that most folks can't that's for sure.  The other aspect that makes such a difference is that he's picking out parts that are specifically tailored to Far-Field concert taping.  That is such an incredibly small niche in the recording world.  When the big boys are making boxes they are shooting for a whole other set of parameters. 
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2007, 10:43:53 PM »

He can hear things that most folks can't that's for sure.  The other aspect that makes such a difference is that he's picking out parts that are specifically tailored to Far-Field concert taping.  That is such an incredibly small niche in the recording world.  When the big boys are making boxes they are shooting for a whole other set of parameters. 

Please share more stories!   +T

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2007, 04:00:38 AM »

I shall also inquire about progress on the mythical V4.  ;D

man, that thing's been on the blackboard for a long time now...
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,11272.msg136880.html#msg136880
we all live downstream.

Offline THE NIZ BIAAAAACH!

• Taperssection Member
  • Mr T don't partake in no sombrero activities!
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2007, 04:27:59 AM »
the innards of our m118 were encased in silicone (goop)

There's quite a bit of this in the cabling going into the xlr's etc...  It's not an attempt at disguising the parts simply adding strength to the connections.
I don't know about that, I ve seen the inside of the 118, and 148 that have every transistor and cap covered in what looks to me like "hot glue from a gun.  I was told that originally it was in order to protect his design.
mk21+mk4>kc5>cmc6>portico 5012>722
24\96 in your ass bitches!

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2007, 01:18:51 PM »
Has a nice talk with Doug yesterday about the ACM V3.  I finally was able to get him to email me a description of the mod.  I have updated the first page with it but here it is again.

The Grace V3 is undoubtedly one of the great portable designs of all time. From time to time over many years I worked on improving the V3s sound only to find I could make it sound different but not better. Recent chip designs have finally changed that. The ACM V3 MOD is designed based on my signature "sound" ....> an open, detailed and accurate 3D soundstage that is free of audible distortions. In the audio design arts it is all about how components work together to achieve a realistic soundstage. A good ear can detect the sonic attributes of various components and with time, learn how they integrate to achieve the elusive goal of natural sound. The ACM V3 is total free of the brittle artifacts and audible High Frequency distortions that never appear in marketing specs but assault the ears of music lovers in many designs and after market upgrades. I rebuild the analog signal path of the V3s A/D PCB with new capacitors and chips selected by ear to enhance its impressive performance for those who love the sound of being there !
Trust YOUR Ears

Nothing has changed as of yet schedule wise for him doing this mod.  So hang in there.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2007, 01:41:17 PM »
Has a nice talk with Doug yesterday about the ACM V3.  I finally was able to get him to email me a description of the mod.  I have updated the first page with it but here it is again.

The Grace V3 is undoubtedly one of the great portable designs of all time. From time to time over many years I worked on improving the V3s sound only to find I could make it sound different but not better. Recent chip designs have finally changed that. The ACM V3 MOD is designed based on my signature "sound" ....> an open, detailed and accurate 3D soundstage that is free of audible distortions. In the audio design arts it is all about how components work together to achieve a realistic soundstage. A good ear can detect the sonic attributes of various components and with time, learn how they integrate to achieve the elusive goal of natural sound. The ACM V3 is total free of the brittle artifacts and audible High Frequency distortions that never appear in marketing specs but assault the ears of music lovers in many designs and after market upgrades. I rebuild the analog signal path of the V3s A/D PCB with new capacitors and chips selected by ear to enhance its impressive performance for those who love the sound of being there !
Trust YOUR Ears

Nothing has changed as of yet schedule wise for him doing this mod.  So hang in there.

@^#% I wish I still had my V3. I'm excited about this!
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2007, 01:55:37 PM »
The boys at Grace are also burning in a new battery system. Looks like a lion pack.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2007, 02:17:10 PM »
Gee, If they could just build a recorder into it, it would be purrfect!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2007, 02:31:04 PM »
The boys at Grace are also burning in a new battery system. Looks like a lion pack.

Internal?  Or am I reading that wrong...

regardless, this is all interesting news.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 02:33:59 PM by AudBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2007, 04:39:49 PM »

No, it's an external kind of like the ones you can get from battery geek. 
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2007, 11:52:05 PM »

No, it's an external kind of like the ones you can get from battery geek. 

cool, that means they will most likely work with a v2 as well with a hackerooo :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com