Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Preferred stand bag for travel?  (Read 4646 times)

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Preferred stand bag for travel?
« on: June 18, 2018, 01:41:12 PM »
Anyone have a stand bag they particularly like for travel...esp flying?

Thanks.
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
Re: Preferred stand bag for travel?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 05:09:54 PM »
Lacrosse stick bags or folding chair bags   or if you are fancy and or particular I think Manfrotto makes stand specific ones.
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 05:31:47 PM »
Lacrosse stick bags or folding chair bags   or if you are fancy and or particular I think Manfrotto makes stand specific ones.

Big +1 on the lacrosse stick bags.  DigiGal recommended this one to me and it's perfect.  Right now I have my Manfrotto 1004BAC stand, 099B extension, carbon fiber tube micro stand for my DPAs, and a 24in followinbob bar all inside it.  Everything but the 1004 is inside its own cue sleeve to prevent rattling and scratching.

Now, I've never flown with my setup and these stick bags have zero padding.  The Manfrotto bags have a little bit of padding, but not enough for what they cost, IMO.  If you need something more rugged, you might look at a hard sided golf club case.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 07:07:59 PM »
Sarge took a pair of her old jeans, cut the legs off, sewed the ankles closed, and made a drawstring at the top end. She also added shoulder straps.  I have a matching pair.  They've worked well for a long time now.
Occasionally, someone will recognize what they are, and they have a good chuckle. 
Sarges Mom Jeans Mic Stand Bags.

Offline mnm207

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • website
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 10:55:48 AM »
As a corporate photographer, I've got a number of bags I use to transport stands and tripods. Which bag gets used depends on how much stuff needs to be carried. For years my primary bag was a Lowel Rifa Litebag (LB-40). It's reasonably structured and padded without being heavy or cumbersome. Mine is literally falling apart at this point (7 years on). I replaced it with a larger (and heavier and more unwieldy) Portabrace SLD-41XT meant for camera sliders. It easily swallows four to six light stands and would hold up well for airline use. But for many smaller around town gigs where I only need a couple of stands and maybe a tripod I still end up grabbing that beat up Lowel bag. Eventually I'll get around to getting another of the Lowel bags, probably in the smaller size.

I also use an unpadded Feisol tripod bag and an unpadded softbox sling. I prefer at least the minimal padding of the Lowel so I don't have stands banging against my hip. And a non-padded bag would be no go for airline use. I remember when I managed another photographer studio and even with a padded stand bag two of his stands came back from one particular trip with screws sheared off from rough handling. Padding and structure are good when checking a bag.

// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.193 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com