Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: XLR wiring question?  (Read 3774 times)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
XLR wiring question?
« on: July 11, 2011, 12:16:33 AM »
Hey guys,

Re-doing all my cables today and ran across one pair that I accidentally wired backwards!  On the preamp side it's correct, but on the mic end (female) I must have been half asleep because I mixed up pins 2 and 3.

What effect exactly does this have on recorded material and how do I correct it?  I used them recently for a show and it does sound kind of funny (not out of phase, but still strange) and I'm wondering if I can "restore" it somehow?

Both cables were wired the same way, so the mics are technically in phase with each other.  Just the pins are backward on one end of each cable.

thanks!
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: XLR wiring question?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 12:32:25 AM »
Hey guys,

Re-doing all my cables today and ran across one pair that I accidentally wired backwards!  On the preamp side it's correct, but on the mic end (female) I must have been half asleep because I mixed up pins 2 and 3.

What effect exactly does this have on recorded material and how do I correct it?  I used them recently for a show and it does sound kind of funny (not out of phase, but still strange) and I'm wondering if I can "restore" it somehow?

Both cables were wired the same way, so the mics are technically in phase with each other.  Just the pins are backward on one end of each cable.

thanks!

This would mean that the signal were recorded out of phase right out of the mic cable.  Really, as long as the signals are in phase with each other, you probably won't need to flip any polarity in post production.  However, flipping the polarity will certainly fix problems... say, if your bass/kick tracks aren't sounding as 'tight' as they once were, or your vocal harmonies sounding shifty all of the sudden.

Just go ahead and fix the soldering issue before you make the same mistake again!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 01:09:31 AM »
Hey guys,

thanks!

This would mean that the signal were recorded out of phase right out of the mic cable.  Really, as long as the signals are in phase with each other, you probably won't need to flip any polarity in post production.  However, flipping the polarity will certainly fix problems... say, if your bass/kick tracks aren't sounding as 'tight' as they once were, or your vocal harmonies sounding shifty all of the sudden.

Just go ahead and fix the soldering issue before you make the same mistake again!

Thanks!

Already made the fix - still can't believe I did that.  Hundreds of cables, snakes, multipins and I think that's the first time since way back when I first started making my cables that I've made that mistake.  Lately I've gotten in the habit of checking with a multimeter, but this particular set predates my QC process...
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 01:33:43 AM »
Hey guys,

thanks!

Thanks!

Already made the fix - still can't believe I did that.  Hundreds of cables, snakes, multipins and I think that's the first time since way back when I first started making my cables that I've made that mistake.  Lately I've gotten in the habit of checking with a multimeter, but this particular set predates my QC process...

Don't feel bad, I've seen microphones that had XLR terminations that were wired out of phase...  :-X

Shit happens, good thing you caught it though.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com