Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Simple battery pack for MT 24/96  (Read 7965 times)

Offline gorlando

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Simple battery pack for MT 24/96
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2006, 02:44:53 AM »
Just to give an update, I decided to buy this:

http://www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk/LiionBattPack.htm

On the paper is excellent, with 3200 mAh capacity and very esay handling, connection, re-charge
I'll post my use impressions when I have some.
Giovanni

Schoeps MK4's ORTF, MK41 & MK8 M-S, DPA 4060's,
Schoeps KCY, Naiant Tinybox II, Self-Made Battery Box for DPA's
Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, M-Audio Microtrack II

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 02:03:13 PM »
I have one of the 4AA usb battery packs, but it is a little flimsy and I am worried about the internal connectors breaking. Here is what a guy at mAudio told my friend to buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7906821&type=product&id=1149206660741

I am going to pick one up. I llike that it only uses two so it will pay for itself eventually. I'll then keep the old one in my bag as an extra.

As far as AA's, make sure to get them from Costo. They are shrink-wrapped into 4 packs and the cost works out to $1 per 4 pack.

Regarding the Costco AA Batteries, I could not agree more. I have used them for quite some time with my MT. For the past year I was using a 5gb Microdrive that sucked up power. I was fortunate to get one of the inexpensive 4 aa 5v output usb power supplies that quickly sold out and became unavailable. (It looks like the Eveready 4 battery model may fill that void.) The Costco batteries were purchased with the thought of tossing them after each show, but the fact is they are so good, I usually go at least 2 shows using them along with the microdrive. I am uncomfortable with the idea of using rechargables as they do not output enough voltage, and the Costco batteries come in large inexpensive packs.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Mr. Bull

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 06:04:13 PM »
I think Guy's super sleds look like the ultimate powering solution for the MT, but for stealth size and cost considerations, I recently picked up one of these:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2970

...but have not tested it yet.

I recorded a show last night with and ran only internal battery, to a 4gb CF card, 1/4" Line level with NO phantom power.  I had enough power for the show.

Are there any recording run times posted showing the 1/4", NO Phantom power > CF on the MT?

I'm also wondering if anyones has any MT run times for the inexpensive 4-AA-USB battery pack from BatterySpace?

I'll do some testing and post if no one else has yet.

I bought the above mentioned battery pack and I can't get it to work.  Does anyone have any ideas WHY?  What happens to the Micro Track when the external power is hooked up?  Does the little battery light come on?
Main Rig
Studio Project C4's>Audio Technica XLR>UA-5 Digimod>MircroTrack I 24/96

Stealth Rig
Cardioids CA-11 MICS>CA-9100Pre Amp>iRiver H115

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 06:33:26 PM »
I think Guy's super sleds look like the ultimate powering solution for the MT, but for stealth size and cost considerations, I recently picked up one of these:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2970

...but have not tested it yet.

I recorded a show last night with and ran only internal battery, to a 4gb CF card, 1/4" Line level with NO phantom power.  I had enough power for the show.

Are there any recording run times posted showing the 1/4", NO Phantom power > CF on the MT?

I'm also wondering if anyones has any MT run times for the inexpensive 4-AA-USB battery pack from BatterySpace?

I'll do some testing and post if no one else has yet.

I bought the above mentioned battery pack and I can't get it to work.  Does anyone have any ideas WHY?  What happens to the Micro Track when the external power is hooked up?  Does the little battery light come on?

Usually the battery icon starts scanning showing charging from external power source until battery is fully charged then icon changes to show dual prong plug icon indicating power source is totally external and battery is not being charged.   

Your image shows rechargeable NiMH cells that when fully charged should provide exactly 5 volts, while using alkaline cells when new output 6 volts for a short time that runs down to 3.2 volts when technically depleted.  NiMH run to about 4.1 volts when depleted. 

Do not know exactly why your external pack is not working, or maybe it is and you did not notice scanning battery icon?   If still not working, try new alkaline cells and see if icon works for a short while. 

As you may read in other threads, I am not a fan of these 2 and 4 AA externals for Microtrack as these when working are very marginal to provide scant few hours more running time at best.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Mr. Bull

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 12:21:24 AM »
AHA.  When I used diffrent batteries it worked.
Main Rig

Stealth Rig

Offline Mr. Bull

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 08:02:47 PM »
It's actually not the batteries.  Its the connection made in the device.  The batteries in the picture above are a little bigger than the 1.5v standard Energizer batteries and made for a tight fit.  That is why the 1.5 V made a better conection becasue they were a little smaller.  After I put the 1.25v back in the batterie pack I had the same result.  I then tried moving the batteries around in the holder to see if it was a connection problem and suddenly the Microtrack Started up. 

The People at batteriespace.com we very nice in helping me.  Highly recomended!!!  Problem Solved! ;D ;D
Main Rig

Stealth Rig

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 05:34:42 AM »
Just to post an update, I tested this battery pack (http://www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk/LiionBattPack.htm) for a few recordings. It adds about 3 hours authonomy to the MT. Please note that, from the specs, the supplier declares 3200 mAh while in reality it is 2300 mAh (consistent with the 11.5 Wh, declared as well).
It is practical, since its form factor is very compatible with the MT and it can be charged from the MT USB feed adapter or from ay USB socket.
Therefore, although I was expecting a bit more authonomy, it is working fine and extends the taping authonomy up to 5 - 6 hours, which is more than enough for me.
Hope this is of help to somebody
Giovanni

Schoeps MK4's ORTF, MK41 & MK8 M-S, DPA 4060's,
Schoeps KCY, Naiant Tinybox II, Self-Made Battery Box for DPA's
Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, M-Audio Microtrack II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com