Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Downloading YouTube video (HD)?  (Read 8784 times)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Downloading YouTube video (HD)?
« on: December 24, 2010, 01:11:47 PM »
What's the best way to download youtube videos in the highest quality using a mac?

the safari/activity window trick works well, but on playback, they don't quite look the same as the youtube HQ clips.  am i imagining this or is this the best way to go about it anyway?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
Re: Downloading YouTube video (HD)?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 02:36:02 PM »
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 01:17:33 AM »
i found keepvid.com

free and easy.  just paste your youtube url in the bar, click download, then choose what option/quality you want.  done.

very cool
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 04:16:28 PM »
I just copy them from the cache.  With older flash versions in linux it's whatever is /tmp/Flash*.  With never versions you actually have to peruse the browsers cache or use youtube-dl.

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 10:09:36 PM »
What's the best way to download youtube videos in the highest quality using a mac?
If you have the Firefox browser, then there's an add-on called "DownloadHelper" than automates the downloading of YouTube (as well as many other sites) videos.
http://www.downloadhelper.net/

After installing DownloadHelper (make sure you re-start Firefox) you will see a new icon (3 balls) in your Firefox toolbar. Go to YouTube and start playing a video (make sure you select 720p or 1080p in YouTube to get the HD version), the '3 balls' icon will start rotating. Click on the small arrow next to the icon and you will then be given a direct link download to the video that's being played. Click on the link and Firefox will start downloading.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 10:38:30 PM »

the safari/activity window trick works well, but on playback, they don't quite look the same as the youtube HQ clips.  am i imagining this or is this the best way to go about it anyway?

you're downloading exactly what's playing in the browser...

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 12:17:34 PM »
I'm going to assume this request is related to your other post regarding mixing your video with other sources like YouTube. You've got some good info here to download the files, but consider this:  I've had good luck simply emailing the YouTube user that upped the videos and requested their masters. Offer them a DVD of the version you produce and most people will probably jump on it. I use my MobileMe as a place where they can easily upload the footage, making for a quick exchange.

Keytohwy

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 01:14:04 PM »
FYI, Youtube is giving some users access to uploading longer videos (i've read up to 4 hours) and 20GB files, if they've been active and followed the TOS.

I just got in!

Totally uploading my full shows.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 11:17:59 PM »
FYI, Youtube is giving some users access to uploading longer videos (i've read up to 4 hours) and 20GB files, if they've been active and followed the TOS.

I just got in!

Totally uploading my full shows.

They also just REQUIRED that I link my account, or lose all ability to edit/delete/upload stuff(recently).  Apparently 2009 is a legacy account status, that has been deprecated in 2011.  But yeah, some perks I guess (before linking) I could upload up to fifteen minute clips.  And some message about longer than 15 minutes, although I didn't read much on it to see HOW much longer.  I didn't like being randomly required to link, or lose all access.  And the pass option sent you to the login prompt, which sent you to the link prompt which sent you to the login prompt.  So I linked, and it changed my youtube password to the linked account, not what was my youtube specific one.  Something not stated in their nag screens.  And my linked account is yahoo, not google.  Grrr...  Just how long until I'm require to upgrade my flash version?  To one that doesn't give me /tmp/Flash* files in linux to do a simple copy from.  Or to play directly with a better viewer in full screen mode.

On my newer install, with a more recent version of flash, I have to browse the browsers cache to find the direct link to the media file to download it.  Where my legacy laptop still gives easy / simple access without having to download it twice.  PITB.

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 12:29:23 PM »
sorry, I don't really understand what "linking" you're talking about.  But good luck!

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 12:58:46 PM »
sorry, I don't really understand what "linking" you're talking about.  But good luck!

Basically google bought youtube in 2009.  So accounts (checked mine, June 2008) that were still active LOST all access to editing their youtube content.  Until you linked to / converted to their "new" account style.  With no way to opt out.  Your existing content didn't go away, but you were prompted with the link your account page as every page.  The only opt out was to log out.  No recommendations based on viewing history, or subscribed to account info, just link your account or die mentality / reality.  It would have been nicer to at least have a heads up, not just wake up one morning and find that you HAVE TO do this or ELSE... buh bye.  Or they could have just DONE IT for you if there really is no difference in accounts.  Just one of those WTF moments for youtube IMO. 

Kind of how vimeo deletes accounts that haven't added new content over the past 90 days.  And yet you're required to login to download the original footage of some videos.  Sometimes you just create an account so others don't create one in your name.  To have to recreate it every 90 days, ???  Gotta love modern living.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 02:38:39 PM »
I have unlimited uploads.  In both size and time.  Just upped a private full dvd uncut for a band.  4.3 GB.  About 90 minutes.  I've had it for about 6 months now.  I always up each song separately though so only the jammingest band will likely need it.

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 08:27:29 PM »

Basically google bought youtube in 2009.  So accounts (checked mine, June 2008) that were still active LOST all access to editing their youtube content.  Until you linked to / converted to their "new" account style.  With no way to opt out.  Your existing content didn't go away, but you were prompted with the link your account page as every page.  The only opt out was to log out.  No recommendations based on viewing history, or subscribed to account info, just link your account or die mentality / reality.  It would have been nicer to at least have a heads up, not just wake up one morning and find that you HAVE TO do this or ELSE... buh bye.  Or they could have just DONE IT for you if there really is no difference in accounts.  Just one of those WTF moments for youtube IMO. 

Kind of how vimeo deletes accounts that haven't added new content over the past 90 days.  And yet you're required to login to download the original footage of some videos.  Sometimes you just create an account so others don't create one in your name.  To have to recreate it every 90 days, ???  Gotta love modern living.

ok........  but what was the issue with having an account login?  Don't you want to keep all your videos in one spot with access?

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 09:08:35 PM »
ok........  but what was the issue with having an account login?  Don't you want to keep all your videos in one spot with access?

I'm not sure what you're getting at?  IF you have a login, youtube tracks your activity while you're logged in.  So if you watch a lot of DIY videos, it recommends more DIY videos.  If you watch trailers for your favorite shows, it recommends others for the same show.  If you subscribe to a poster, it tells you when they have new stuff posted.  And you need a login to upload ANYTHING.  What youtube did a couple days ago was force those who had 2009 or earlier logins to upgrade / change their account.  Or you couldn't get any recommendations or upload anything.  If it was supposed to be forced, why ask / prompt about it?  You can still view youtube (for now) without a login.  But all you get is the most popular stuff.  If you have a niche that you follow, you'll have to search for it at every visit to maybe find it.  Plus thousands of other things that are NOT it.  It was just so do this or else-ish.  Outside of weeding out inactive accounts, what was the point of asking potentially millions of users about, if they're not going to give them a choice about it anyway?

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 11:45:18 PM »
yeah, I still don't understand the issue you had with updating and logging in.  Confused, nevermind.  No use in arguing about it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com