Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT831B phantom power adaptors  (Read 3330 times)

Offline SIRMick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
AT831B phantom power adaptors
« on: January 19, 2018, 10:59:07 AM »
I have just bought these mics and find that I need to get some adaptors.  Does anyone know if either of these would be suitable
https://www.thomann.de/gb/audix_aps_910.htm or https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_ps_418_s.htm

Thanks

Offline Limit35

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: AT831B phantom power adaptors
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 12:13:24 AM »
Naiant makes a great phantom power adapter. You can find one here, http://naiant.com/studio-electronics-products/inline-devices/pfa-phantom-power-adaptor/. Or, just look on ebay for the proper AT model. I think the Naiant one would be less cumbersome and lighten up  your kit.

Offline SIRMick

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 01:18:33 AM »
Naiant makes a great phantom power adapter. You can find one here, http://naiant.com/studio-electronics-products/inline-devices/pfa-phantom-power-adaptor/. Or, just look on ebay for the proper AT model. I think the Naiant one would be less cumbersome and lighten up  your kit.

Thanks for your suggestion but I was hoping to avoid having to add any further leads to my setup.  The AT one costs €129 which is why I asked about the two I mentioned.

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:36:32 AM »
The phantom adapter is providing required power to the electret mics. This power is for electronic inside mic, specially for FET. Different mics have different FET and electronic inside, so they are using slightly different powering.
The best is use phantom adapter that is designed specifically for your microphones. If you use a different brand of the power supply, it may happen that the microphone signal will be distorted (because FET is not powered properly, it can happen probably at higher volumes). If you want to be sure, use original - you already have it or Naiant adapter. Remember that all adapters are around three inches long.

Edit: Be careful, non-original phantom adapter can destroy your mics too. Before trying it, measure the voltage of non-original adapter and compare it with your original adapter. Naiant adapters are ok, he is designing it for specific microphones.

The second option is to use your AT831 the same way you are using your CA11. Somebody can terminate it to stereo jack with mod 4.7k. One alert - 4.7k mod will decrease signal of mic about 12db. If you want to record quite acoustic shows, ask somebody to make you switchable 4.7 mod to turn it on/off .

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:08:03 AM by kuba e »

Offline SIRMick

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 10:15:15 AM »
The phantom adapter is providing required power to the electret mics. This power is for electronic inside mic, specially for FET. Different mics have different FET and electronic inside, so they are using slightly different powering.
The best is use phantom adapter that is designed specifically for your microphones. If you use a different brand of the power supply, it may happen that the microphone signal will be distorted (because FET is not powered properly, it can happen probably at higher volumes). If you want to be sure, use original - you already have it or Naiant adapter. Remember that all adapters are around three inches long.

Edit: Be careful, non-original phantom adapter can destroy your mics too. Before trying it, measure the voltage of non-original adapter and compare it with your original adapter. Naiant adapters are ok, he is designing it for specific microphones.

The second option is to use your AT831 the same way you are using your CA11. Somebody can terminate it to stereo jack with mod 4.7k. One alert - 4.7k mod will decrease signal of mic about 12db. If you want to record quite acoustic shows, ask somebody to make you switchable 4.7 mod to turn it on/off .

How would I measure the voltage on a non-original adaptor?

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 10:51:25 AM »
Ground is on pin1. Measure voltage between pin1 - pin2 and pin1 - pin3. I'm not an electrician, I can not promise you a hundred percent that if the voltage is lower, the microphone is safe. I do not know if anyone will advise you, what you want is not standard.

It's a little nonsense,  you want to throw away original phantom adapter because one more cable. If somebody is interested to help, here is the beginning of the thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=178782.msg2252655#msg2252655

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:03:03 AM by kuba e »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com