Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 480 question?  (Read 1992 times)

Offline deadahead93

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Archive.org
AKG 480 question?
« on: August 14, 2015, 06:24:13 PM »
Hi everyone.

I have been having some issues with my 480s at the connection point when plugging in the XLR cables. It's so bad, I actually thought I blew out my pre... Then I switched out every cable in my rig thinking it was a bad cable. I even borrowed a buddy's 722, when I realized it was the mics. I switched out the mics to an older pair I own, and NO porblems.

What seems to be the issue is when the mics are plugged in, both channels have horrible hums, blow outs, and pops. It literally sounded like my left channel was blown out. The only remedy to this situation is to use duct tape to secure the connection. Not sure if anyone else has ever had to deal with this, and if so, what is the best route to fix this? Do the male connectors need cleaned? Is there someone on TS that fixes these? And if the fix is expensive, would it be cheaper to chop them down into actives?

Thanks in advance for any help. This has got me worried... Cheers!
~Heath
http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22HClayton%22

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
 ~ Jerry Garcia

Mics: AKG  C480B / (CK61, CK63)
Cables: GAKables
Preamp: Naiant Biggest Box
Recorder: Tascam DR-07

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AKG 480 question?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 04:48:01 PM »
Well, from the fact that you mentioned they worked when wrapped with tape, that could mean the XLR male connections on each mic body are just loose. Over time the screw on the side of the mic body near the XLR end can start to back out. The screw itself may not seem loose, but if you pinch the pins themselves with your fingers and can wiggle them, that screw needs to be tightened. Those pins should feel as solid as a rock. If that's not the issue, you might have to bite the bullet and send them to AKG for service.

Good Luck !
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 11:25:06 AM »
If tightening the screw doesn't work send them to Richard Land in Nashville. http://akgmicrepair.com/ He will give you excellent
personalized service at a fair price. AKG service department is in total disarray as they are moving their repair facility to Mexico.
They are not doing repairs at all right now and are farming out all of their service work.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:28:36 AM by mepaca »

Offline deadahead93

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Archive.org
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 04:33:24 PM »
Thank you both for all of your suggestions! I love these boards... I'll let you know what happens ;)

Cheers guys
http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22HClayton%22

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
 ~ Jerry Garcia

Mics: AKG  C480B / (CK61, CK63)
Cables: GAKables
Preamp: Naiant Biggest Box
Recorder: Tascam DR-07

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com