Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)  (Read 96327 times)

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2017, 07:58:37 AM »
So I ordered one of the "Tascam DR-70D tested SD cards" from Amazon (sent from Circuit City) and it seems to be slightly different.

I ordered the SDSDUP-016G "Ultra Plus", but instead I got the SDSUNB-016G "Ultra" model card.

Should I be concerned?

Return it immediately.  Multiple red flags:

For starters, the card they sent is microSD card according to the model number you posted.  It's not what you ordered.

Second, Amazon is a SanDisk authorized retailer, but that only counts for items that are sold and shipped directly from them.  There are countless stories of counterfeit flash media on eBay and Amazon Marketplace.  Circuit City is not a SanDisk authorized retailer, so even though they are a known name I wouldn't totally trust this sale.

Third: The provenance of this card being in question and it not being on the approved card list, you're lowering the odds of it working correctly.

Best Buy has the card you're looking for, often in stock locally.  That's where I bought mine.
That's what I'm doing, returning it, although it is not a micro SD card.  Seemed like a good deal at $8.09 and free shipping. Guess I should have known better.
Thanks all.

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2017, 11:44:26 PM »
This, appears to be a legit approved SD card sold by Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NDL56U/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3S8SWJVE4KWA9&colid=SR8ZQ757MHK7&th=1

Should I risk it or hold out until I can make the long drive to a Best Buy, assuming they have something in stock. They refunded me and told me to keep the previous card that wasn't the exact model advertised.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2017, 11:59:12 PM »
This, appears to be a legit approved SD card sold by Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NDL56U/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3S8SWJVE4KWA9&colid=SR8ZQ757MHK7&th=1
that one is on the list as a good card for 16, 64, & 128 GB sizes, but NOT a good card for the 32GB size.

http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/867/dr-70d_tested_media_list_20151006.pdf

Sandisk customer service was kind enough to verify that my SDSDXPA-128G from amazon is legit.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:59:41 PM by lsd2525 »
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2017, 08:34:08 PM »
It looks like there was a recent update to Tascam's Tested Media List on April 19th, 2017. Three Toshiba cards were added. Not sure what Remark O is all about. Perhaps they meant OK.

Link: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/867/dr-70d_tested_media_list_20170419.pdf

mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2017, 09:25:43 PM »
It looks like there was a recent update to Tascam's Tested Media List on April 19th, 2017. Three Toshiba cards were added. Not sure what Remark O is all about. Perhaps they meant OK.

Link: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/867/dr-70d_tested_media_list_20170419.pdf

Thanks for the update on this.  Not sure about the O remark, but I found this part at the bottom very helpful:

The majority of the media listed are the Japanese model names. To get the North American equivalent of these particular manufacturers...
SanDisk: Remove the 3 character suffix (-JXX) Lexar: Change the JP characters to NA Panasonic: Change the J character to A or U
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2017, 01:42:01 AM »

Interesting that they have one sandisk and one sony card that they have the date listed as 9/12/2016 but that they never bothered to tell us about. I mean it's just a messed-up 16GB (*1) and a decent 8GB but still it shows that they have been working on it and not telling us everything!  :hmmm:

And egads, the one card over 32GB that they added is already expensive as heck - Toshiba SDXU-B064G is $190 on Spamazon!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:44:46 AM by morst »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2017, 04:16:52 PM »

Interesting that they have one sandisk and one sony card that they have the date listed as 9/12/2016 but that they never bothered to tell us about. I mean it's just a messed-up 16GB (*1) and a decent 8GB but still it shows that they have been working on it and not telling us everything!  :hmmm:

And egads, the one card over 32GB that they added is already expensive as heck - Toshiba SDXU-B064G is $190 on Spamazon!

Clearly those Toshiba cards are not meant for the North American market, which is why they're so expensive.  Put the model numbers into Google, and you'll see all Asian sellers.  The listing on Amazon is also from a third party seller with not great reviews.  (In case anyone out there still doesn't know, only buy SD cards and other storage media on Amazon that is actually sold by Amazon, not a "marketplace" seller!)

As Tom said before (you remember him, don't you?) - all of the card testing is done by TEAC Japan so the cards that do get tested are often Japanese market ones.  Sometimes those have North American equivalent model numbers they are sold under; sometimes they do not.  I had an email exchange with SanDisk customer service last year where they confirmed that the same physical card is sold with different model number variants for different markets.  Other manufacturers likely do the same.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Julia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2017, 08:19:01 PM »
Dear forum,

I've just bought a Tascam DR-70D for taping concerts with miniature stereo mics and was wondering whether I could possibly ask you for some advice, since I still have a few questions - despite having spent the past two days reading through all the extremely helpful information and the posts on this website (many thanks!!!). I must admit that I used to record with a very simple Sony Hi-MD recorder (MZ-RH910), so I find all the settings on the Tascam really overwhelming!

Would the following setup be correct? I plug in my small Audio Technica microphone set from Sound Professionals into EXT IN 1/2 with a (very simple) 9V battery box (from Sound Professionals) and then set the input gain to "MIC" and the input to "EXT STEREO". (Or should I use the "LINE" setting because of the battery box?) Under "Basic" I turn ch1 and ch2 on, but ch3 and ch4 off, so I can turn dual recording on. Under "INPUT" I set "Input gain" to "MIC" and and turn everything else (limiter...) off. Under "Record setting", I thought I'd set the file type to "stereo", so I don't need to put the mono files together myself. I don't understand what "MS MODE 1/2" is, so I've turned it off ;D. I wanted to record in 24bit and 96 kHz on a 16GB SD card, hoping that 4 alkaline batteries (Duracell Ultra Power) would last for ca. 1.5 hours for a dual recording (without phantom power).

I've gathered that people normally set the gain to "LOW" for concert recordings. Where on the gain knobs (e.g. 12 o'clock) would you start? Or should I try "MID"? I want to record Jackson Browne tomorrow, where songs range from partially acoustic to very loud with a full band. And where between -1dB and -12dB would you set the dual recording?

And something completely different: I was a little shocked about the size and weight of the Tascam, since there'll be bag searches now at venues in the UK after the terrorist bomb attack at a concert in Manchester. Does anyone have any advice on getting something of that size past security? (Being female, I used to put my Hi-MD player into a bag of sanitary pads, which security never touched, but that trick won't work any more!)

Thank you so much in advance for any advice or thoughts that you might have!!
Julia

Offline voltronic

« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2017, 11:07:48 AM »
Dear forum,

I've just bought a Tascam DR-70D for taping concerts with miniature stereo mics and was wondering whether I could possibly ask you for some advice, since I still have a few questions - despite having spent the past two days reading through all the extremely helpful information and the posts on this website (many thanks!!!). I must admit that I used to record with a very simple Sony Hi-MD recorder (MZ-RH910), so I find all the settings on the Tascam really overwhelming!

Would the following setup be correct? I plug in my small Audio Technica microphone set from Sound Professionals into EXT IN 1/2 with a (very simple) 9V battery box (from Sound Professionals) and then set the input gain to "MIC" and the input to "EXT STEREO". (Or should I use the "LINE" setting because of the battery box?) Under "Basic" I turn ch1 and ch2 on, but ch3 and ch4 off, so I can turn dual recording on. Under "INPUT" I set "Input gain" to "MIC" and and turn everything else (limiter...) off. Under "Record setting", I thought I'd set the file type to "stereo", so I don't need to put the mono files together myself. I don't understand what "MS MODE 1/2" is, so I've turned it off ;D. I wanted to record in 24bit and 96 kHz on a 16GB SD card, hoping that 4 alkaline batteries (Duracell Ultra Power) would last for ca. 1.5 hours for a dual recording (without phantom power).

I've gathered that people normally set the gain to "LOW" for concert recordings. Where on the gain knobs (e.g. 12 o'clock) would you start? Or should I try "MID"? I want to record Jackson Browne tomorrow, where songs range from partially acoustic to very loud with a full band. And where between -1dB and -12dB would you set the dual recording?

And something completely different: I was a little shocked about the size and weight of the Tascam, since there'll be bag searches now at venues in the UK after the terrorist bomb attack at a concert in Manchester. Does anyone have any advice on getting something of that size past security? (Being female, I used to put my Hi-MD player into a bag of sanitary pads, which security never touched, but that trick won't work any more!)

Thank you so much in advance for any advice or thoughts that you might have!!
Julia

Welcome to TS, Julia!

This all sounds pretty good.  It sounds like you have deciphered the very confusing menu system of this unit fairly quickly. 

As far as LOW vs MID gain range, that depends on how far away from the PA / stage you will be.  I only record acoustic / classical and from very close, so I typically set to LOW with the knobs all the way up.  This tends to give me -12 to -16 dB peaks most of the time, which allows me plenty of wiggle room in case things suddenly get loud.  Unless you're going to be really far back and/or the show isn't very loud, I don't think you'll be going past the lower half of the MID range, if even that.  I have used the LOW range exclusively for the past year.

I always set my DUAL REC to -12 dB.  It gives the maximum set of "safety" on my safety tracks.  ;D

MS MODE 1/2 would activate the built-in mid-side processing matrix, which is a specialized recording technique that uses a pair of fig 8 mics or a cardioid and a fig 8.  I don't like to use the built-in matrix even when I'm doing a mid-side recording, as I prefer to do that in post.

As far as the security issue, others here who know about such things will likely reach out to you via PM.

Good luck!
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline djphrayz

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2017, 10:44:00 AM »
I just noticed this deal at bestbuy.com for Tascam approved flash media:
SanDisk - SDSDUP-032G - Ultra 32GB SDHC UHS-I Memory Card
While it shows $9.99 per card on the product page, if you add 3 or more to your cart, the priced reduces to $7.49/card.  You can purchase up to 5 in a single order and get free 2 day shipping.  WIN!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-ultra-32gb-sdhc-uhs-i-memory-card-black-silver/5349305.p?skuId=5349305&productCategoryId=
Mics: AT4031, DPA4061, DPA4099, AKG483, CA-14 cards and omnis
Recorders: MixPre10ii, Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10
Pre: DPA MMA6000, CA Ugly 2

Offline morst

« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2017, 02:54:32 PM »
Dear forum,
(SNIP)
and turn everything else (limiter...) off. . .

I use the limiter. Try not to hammer your record levels over the top, but if you hit a little bit, the limiter smooths it out nicely.

Also I don't know why listeners would want or need 96kHz, when there is not much musical information above what humans can hear (approx 20 kHz top limit for young folks). I do suggest mastering at 24 bits, but only 48kHz sample rate.

Offline djphrayz

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2017, 06:17:58 PM »
Dear forum,
(SNIP)
and turn everything else (limiter...) off. . .

I use the limiter. Try not to hammer your record levels over the top, but if you hit a little bit, the limiter smooths it out nicely.

Since the limiter is essentially compression with a really high compression ratio, it has the potential to wreak some havoc.  I prefer to use dual recording mode to create a safety track at -6dB from the main, which is about the half the level.  If I happen to get clipping on the main, I apply some light compression to a small sample of the quieter track.  I then adjust the gain up 6dB and replace the clipped section in the main with the processed section from the safety.  This requires a little more time and some understanding of how to use compression, but you have control over the amount of compression applied, while the limiter can potentially :smash: your recording to hell.   

Using a higher sampling rate can help maintain signal integrity throughout the mastering process.  So if you use any compression or EQ while mastering, you will get higher quality results after applying multiple effects and/or processes.
Mics: AT4031, DPA4061, DPA4099, AKG483, CA-14 cards and omnis
Recorders: MixPre10ii, Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10
Pre: DPA MMA6000, CA Ugly 2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com