Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices New MixPre Series  (Read 107062 times)

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sound Devices New MixPre Series
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2017, 06:05:08 PM »
DATBREADs comment is pretty much how I read it also in terms of how it will work. I'm not quite as convinced about the part where the great pre-amps negate the need to adjust gain, however...

AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2017, 06:56:35 PM »
I can't think of a recorder made in the last 15 years that didn't have a button lock (hold) feature.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2017, 07:20:16 PM »
The Korg MR1000 didn't have a hold button, oddly enough. Only one I can think of though....
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 07:47:11 PM by DATBRAD »
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2017, 09:40:42 PM »
Basic, Advanced, and Custom modes...

needs a "Concert" or "Taper" mode with everything that we need.  Lock function, "stealth" function, gain control, locked channel gain, level meter zoom, etc.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2017, 10:37:17 PM »
But can this custom mode/settings be made the default at power on? I for one would inevitably screw this process up at some point where I'm setting up in a hurry if it can't be made the default when I turn on the recorder.

From the manual:

User Presets
Flexibility is the MixPre-6’s M.O. To make it easy for you to use the MixPre-6 in a wide variety of situations, we created a slick feature where you can store and recall snapshots of all of the MixPre-6’s settings. There are four internal Preset slots available. Also, the SD card can store virtually unlimited Presets.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2017, 11:35:59 PM »
I can't think of a recorder made in the last 15 years that didn't have a button lock (hold) feature.

The F8 doesn't have a hold function last I had heard...

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2017, 11:40:03 PM »
But can this custom mode/settings be made the default at power on? I for one would inevitably screw this process up at some point where I'm setting up in a hurry if it can't be made the default when I turn on the recorder.

From the manual:

User Presets
Flexibility is the MixPre-6’s M.O. To make it easy for you to use the MixPre-6 in a wide variety of situations, we created a slick feature where you can store and recall snapshots of all of the MixPre-6’s settings. There are four internal Preset slots available. Also, the SD card can store virtually unlimited Presets.

I wonder if the settings will stay on your preset after you power down the unit, or will you have to re-select that preset when you turn it on again.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2017, 11:41:04 PM »

You can control the ISO track gain with the channel knobs. This is achievable in Custom mode, not Advanced mode.

Is that something you can set and forget?

Yes

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2017, 11:45:25 PM »

You can control the ISO track gain with the channel knobs. This is achievable in Custom mode, not Advanced mode.

Is that something you can set and forget?

Yes

Thanks, Paul. You've certainly cleared that up for me. Seems like a very good machine.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2017, 11:53:30 PM »

I wonder if the settings will stay on your preset after you power down the unit, or will you have to re-select that preset when you turn it on again.

The MixPre's always power up in the same state they were in prior to last power down.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2017, 11:57:38 PM »
Paul, thank you for being here and angering our questions.

What I can't get past though is the idea that traditional gain setting practices don't need to be observed.

I'm an effort to answer this myself, I read through the mp6 manual. 

From page 19 under BASIC MODE:
The limiters are present on each channel and the LR mix bus.

Then below that under ADVANCED MODE:
For more complex situations requiring individual channel-to-track recording,
soloing, channel linking and extended gain functionality and limiter bypass.

So the limiters are always engaged in Basic, but can be defeated in Advanced.  Got it.

Does Basic use auto gain setting as well?  It seems to be implied by comparing with Advanced mode.
Page 16 under ADVANCED > Channel > Gain:
Sets the sensitivity of the input. Generally, the Gain should be
set so that the loudest parts of the audio signal just touch the
red segments of the meters.
Then pg 20 in the A Little Bit About Gain section basically says that is no longer necessary because this unit has analog limiters and low-nose preamps which makes traditional level setting irrelevant.  So the manual is advising users to follow good gain setting practice, then telling them that doesn't matter?

I don't get the whole "easy mode" concept.  How are people supposed to learn how to do things properly or make informed choices for themselves?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2017, 11:59:33 PM »
Folks - just to save you having to ask the same question more times, a summary ...

Yes - you can use the channel knobs to adjust individual track levels. You will set this up in Custom mode.
Once you've set this, the unit will always power up in that state. You can also choose to save it as a preset for later recall if you decide to use the MixPre in a totally different configuration.

I understand the user guide has been a bit ambiguous on these subjects. We are still tweaking the guide. It will be complete by the time we start shipping which we anticipate will be mid-May.

Thanks

Paul
Director of Product Development and Design, Sound Devices.

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2017, 12:22:22 AM »
Basic Mode: For less experienced audio users who may not have had much experience optimizing audio levels. Single gain stage controlled by channel knob. Only the stereo mix is recorded.
Advanced Mode: For experienced audio users allowing access to all features. Dual gain stage (virtual trim gain and channel knob fader gain); All tracks are available for recording; ISO tracks recorded pre-fade, post trim.
Custom Mode: You can choose which advanced features you want to add to Basic mode.  In order to be able to use channel knobs to adjust ISO gain, you need to add the advanced Record features which allow you to record arm ISO tracks.

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2017, 12:25:43 AM »
Paul is awesome.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2017, 02:51:12 AM »
what a headache..just happy i'm picking up my Nagra 7 in 20 days..LOL

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com