Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Card's advice  (Read 7914 times)

Offline AndyLGR

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Card's advice
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 08:42:17 AM »
Many, many tapers have posted that the smaller CMC-8 cards have an inferior sound to either the CMC-4U's based on the larger 853 capsule or the CA-14's mostly due to poor base response.
I asked sound professionals as to which they deemed to be the best out of the CMC-8 and the CMC-4U and they said the 4U's were better than the 8's. So I think it will be between these 2 for the ones I go for.

I really like the idea of a matrix using a set of cards and omnis too.

Thanks everyone for the advice, pics and samples. Much appreciated.

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 12:10:55 PM »
Many, many tapers have posted that the smaller CMC-8 cards have an inferior sound to either the CMC-4U's based on the larger 853 capsule or the CA-14's mostly due to poor base response.
I asked sound professionals as to which they deemed to be the best out of the CMC-8 and the CMC-4U and they said the 4U's were better than the 8's. So I think it will be between these 2 for the ones I go for.

As mentioned previously by myself (and others): the CA-14 cards will be the less expensive route and will yield the results you're looking for.  I wouldn't buy the 4U's for the extra money as there is no benefit there (except for changeable caps if that's what you need).

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 01:20:05 PM »

As mentioned previously by myself (and others): the CA-14 cards will be the less expensive route and will yield the results you're looking for.  I wouldn't buy the 4U's for the extra money as there is no benefit there (except for changeable caps if that's what you need).

..... I believe the OP is in Europe, and may require faster delivery time, in which I'm not sure I agree with you.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline youngsbest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 03:34:25 PM »
Something else you may wish to consider is that cards are much more sensitive to handling noise. So if you are attaching your mics to clothing then for quiet music - unamplified piano for example - you will get a lot a rustling whenever you move, which you won't get with omnis.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 04:13:06 PM »
If you buy AT853's aka CMC-4U, be sure to get the "low sensitivity mod", else they will distort at loud shows.
(Credit due Chris Church, etc).
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline AndyLGR

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 05:33:29 AM »
..... I believe the OP is in Europe, and may require faster delivery time, in which I'm not sure I agree with you.
Yes I’m in the UK and will be looking to get the new mics for shows coming up at the end of Nov/beginning Dec.

Are the CA-14’s cards comparable quality wise to mics like CMC-8 or CMC-4U?

If you buy AT853's aka CMC-4U, be sure to get the "low sensitivity mod", else they will distort at loud shows. (Credit due Chris Church, etc).
Is that just for these mics, what if I went for the CMC-8?

Something else you may wish to consider is that cards are much more sensitive to handling noise. So if you are attaching your mics to clothing then for quiet music - unamplified piano for example - you will get a lot a rustling whenever you move, which you won't get with omnis.
Thanks. I haven’t tried it, but I wonder if I could get away with my CA-14 omnis being under a thin shirt. But clearly that isn’t the case for cards then.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com