Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Am I getting the right mic?  (Read 5095 times)

Offline Aman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Am I getting the right mic?
« on: April 27, 2006, 01:34:54 AM »
I am highly interested in purchasing the Audio Technica PRO 24 XY (here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Microphones/Wireless?sku=270607) to do a live music recording at Washington Square Park (NYC) soon. I am going to be recording a cellist, clarinet player, and sax player all live during the middle of the afternoon, and need a mic that will be able to create a stereo sound (meaning, if I plug ONE mic into my M-Audio Firewire interface, I should get a stereo signal, and not mono) that will efficiently pick up these three instruments with relative quality. I also (as part of the project's guidelines) need to be able to pick up some of the surrounding people at the park as well, so I thought this kind of mic design would be best. I could put the cellist in the middle, and then the reed players on either side, and have the mic positioned facing the cellist about five-eight feet away from him.

Is this the right way to go? I really cannot spend more than $100, so this price looked good to me. One thing I have to STRESS - I have plugged in vocal microphones to the M-Audio Firewire recording interface that I'll be using, and cannot get more than mono to come out of each indivdiual microphone channel. If I only get ONE mic, I need it to be able to send a stereo signal to this recording interface. If I get this particular mic, this needs to be done - will this be accomplished with this particular mic?

Thanks so much in advance!
-Andrew

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
Re: Am I getting the right mic?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 08:10:29 AM »
i'm not sure how the m-audio thing works, but if it has two channels/inputs (left and right) you will need some sort of adaptor to split the single cable coming from the mic into a left and right.

other than than, i'm sure the mic is fine
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline Aman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 03:50:22 PM »
Xpanding Man: Thanks so much for your valuable feedback!

Does anybody else have specific experience with either my M-Audio interface or the mic I'm interested in buying? I'd like to make completely sure that I will make this work, and that this mic will be of a high enough quality to complete my task.

Thanks again!
-Andrew

Offline mdarnton

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Darnton Violins
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 10:36:12 PM »
No, you are not doing the right thing. I just bought this mic, and the s/n ratio and sensitivity both suck. It's all noise, and no level. The stereo tie-clip pair I got from Radioshack for $30 (now discontinued) is tons better in both respects. The container is very sexy, though, and it's got a nice stand clip. If you want mine, I will be delighted to sell it to you, for a lot less than $80, so that I can buy this: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-PSM-3
While you're looking at that, compare it to their specs for the Pro24, which I should have read before I bought it. Nice stand clip, though. Did I already say that?

I cannot answer your question about the M-audio. I have the USB Mobilepre, and it does have an input for this mic: an 1/8" hole tagged "stereo microphone". I do not see this jack on the M-audio firewire boxes that I can find on the web.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 11:05:54 PM by mdarnton »

Offline Aman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 12:02:05 AM »
mdarton:

Thanks so much for your helpful insight! This was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I appreciate the time you took to inform me of this!

I'll discuss your offer via email.

Again, I appreciate it! I'll be on the look for something else.

-Andrew

Offline Aman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 12:17:44 AM »
What about a pair of the Behringer C-2 mics? Would that be a better option?

Thanks again!
-Andrew

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 04:04:05 PM »
Good to see you here Aman, best of luck in getting the right mic.   ;)

edit:  when is this show occuring?  I may be able to come out with my rig and tape as well. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 04:08:07 PM by gloco »
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Aman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 12:10:38 AM »
It's not a "show", per say. It's actually a record which I am producing. I will be conducting it, producing it, composing it, and editing it. I really appreciate the offer, but for this to happen most successfully, I think that I need to keep this project completely under my control with absolutely no outsiders.

Thanks for the warm welcomes and wishes. It's all very appreciated!!
-Andrew

RebelRebel

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 10:31:43 PM »
If I were you i would grab a pair of Behringer ECM8000s, then get an XLR>>1/4' male adapter and run the pair in that way.

Harvey Gerst(Big Shot audio engineer and Sage) uses those mics a lot, and loves them. Very cheap.

Offline Aman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 08:13:58 PM »
If I were you i would grab a pair of Behringer ECM8000s, then get an XLR>>1/4' male adapter and run the pair in that way.

Harvey Gerst(Big Shot audio engineer and Sage) uses those mics a lot, and loves them. Very cheap.

Hi there,

Thanks for the suggestion! But it appears that this mic you mention is not meant for recording indoor and outdoor sound, but instead is meant to analyze acoustics.

?

Would these really be better than the Behringer C-2s?

Thanks!
-Andrew

RebelRebel

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 08:21:23 PM »
dont pay attention to the specs. specs dont mean anything from a practical point of view. ive heard a lot of good things about those mics.

I own a pair of Gefell MK221 which are "technically" measurement mics, but they are fantastic for recording.....

about C-2...well Im no Behringer expert, but I make my decisions about gear based on feedback from Professionals that have been in the business a long time.

FWIW, ive heard a lot about the ecm and nothing about the c2..

Hi there,

Thanks for the suggestion! But it appears that this mic you mention is not meant for recording indoor and outdoor sound, but instead is meant to analyze acoustics.

?

Would these really be better than the Behringer C-2s?

Thanks!
-Andrew

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 08:21:37 PM »
a mic is a mic... >:D >:D >:D

RebelRebel

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 08:22:47 PM »
a mic is a mic... >:D >:D >:D

Ok muj .Send me your fancy Schoeps and I will send you some MXLs. ;)

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 08:36:30 PM »
sure no problem..those MXL probably got less mudd than schoeps LOL!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Aman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 10:09:21 PM »
Here's the catch, though. The C-2s are 2 for 50 dollars, are well-reviewed on the music sites I've looked at, and come with a carrying case, mic stand adapter, and windscreen. Will the ECMs come with those?

Thanks guys!
-Andrew
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 10:37:08 PM by Aman »

RebelRebel

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 03:20:28 AM »
sounds like youve already made up your mind.
Here's the catch, though. The C-2s are 2 for 50 dollars, are well-reviewed on the music sites I've looked at, and come with a carrying case, mic stand adapter, and windscreen. Will the ECMs come with those?

Thanks guys!
-Andrew

RebelRebel

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 03:21:13 AM »
sure no problem..those MXL probably got less mudd than schoeps LOL!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D Oh yeah, I want that MK221 capsule set you have too. My pair is lonely.

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 06:10:06 AM »

;D Oh yeah, I want that MK221 capsule set you have too. My pair is lonely.

I got the mk202..tighter diagphram...best kept secret there is...easiest mics one can EQ. way too easy. >:D ;D

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 06:12:55 AM »

Thanks guys!
-Andrew

you should start with the stereo mic you mentioned. not because of quality, but it is easier to set up.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com