Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fostex FR-2 Power  (Read 12489 times)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Fostex FR-2 Power
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 05:02:56 PM »
The D-sled is an interesting solution and I can see how it would be very practical for a lot of situations. However the total cost is a bit high for me because it would also require the purchase of new batteries (at least 24 rechargeable D-cells and a new charger) and because keeping extra battery sets around would be a bit of a pain. At best (a static location) it would require two distinct spaces in my extra gear bag to keep charged and expended batteries separate. At worst (I'm on the go all day) it means I've got at least 10 extra batteries (8 + 2 backups) rattling around somewhere on my person. Finally, if just one battery fails, it means time spent fiddling with a multi-meter to find and replace the culprit.

--Dave
To be clear, the D-sled is ONLY meant for D akaline cells having 2-4 times the power capacity at about half the weight of rechargeable D cells.  So having additional fresh cells to carry around is not needed in most cases unless needing weeks of running time available.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline dsteinwedel

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 05:29:30 PM »
To be clear, the D-sled is ONLY meant for D akaline cells having 2-4 times the power capacity at about half the weight of rechargeable D cells.  So having additional fresh cells to carry around is not needed in most cases unless needing weeks of running time available.

That's curious. I've found that an FR2, 8 AA alkaline cells will give me a solid 1/2 hour of recording time, maybe 45 minutes. According to good old Wikipedia, D-cells have about 4-5 times the capacity of their AA brethren. Given that, how can D-cells give weeks of running time?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes

--Dave

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 03:18:10 AM »
The smaller the size of an alkaline cell, the more power is lost due to internal cell resistance. 

AA cell is small and has MAX ~2.2 AMPS capacity working best with < 1/4 ampere loads.  D cell is many times the AA cell size working best with <2 ampere loads and has ~16-18 amperes of MAX capacity.

So for recorder powering loads, little power is being lost inside the D cell as compared with a lot of power being lost (heating) inside the much small AA cell.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline dsteinwedel

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 01:18:18 PM »
So it's not a 1/1 plot, but more of a curve. Good to know. Thanks Guy!

--Dave

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 04:44:25 PM »
I've been using 2 fr2 decks with NiMh 4000mah NP-1 cells.  In tandem with internal batteries - 2700ma nimh sanyo cells - It gives you 8hours easily, and I run with timecode.  The Fr2 can use both external and internal seamlessly.

You don't have to spend a lot to get NP-1 form factor into your mix.  You can get a 4000mah nimh battery for about $59.99 shipped on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/12V-4A-Battery-for-Sony-NP-1-NP-1A-NP-1B-NP-1SB_W0QQitemZ140396418040QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBatteries_Chargers?hash=item20b04753f8

You can get an idx single np-1 charger for around $10:  http://cgi.ebay.com/IDX-JSE-23-QUICK-CAMCODER-CHARGER-FOR-NiCd-BATTERY-NEW_W0QQitemZ380212860109QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item588673d4cd

No need to pay the $75 charge for np1>fr2 cable.  Just do an ebay search for an np1 cable so you can cut the np1 cup from.  A 4pin>np1 can be had for around @20, then contact sennheiser and request a dc cable for an HHB md500, which they sell for $14 (last time I bought one last year - fits FR2 power), you may want to get a couple.

Then just cut the 4pin end from the np1 cable, take the cup, match the polarity on the cables, solder them together (don't forget to put a piece of shrink wrap to cover the splices.   and you have a reliable power supply dependable enough for "professional" work for a fraction of the price of alternatives.

Let's see, charger $10, Battery $60, cable $14, np1 cup $20.. for $104 you've got a very dependable power supply in a easy to use form factor.  I've got 6 batteries in rotation and don't have anything but good results.  I use idx lions v-mount for my camera, but the np1s cover all the audio power, and I have an adaptor where I can use two np1s on my camera if needed.  Redundant?  Not when successful results are your mission.

The fr2 portabrace has a pocket on the front that fits the above config well.  If you use the multi pocket, you're going to have lots of room for cables, radio mics, whatever you wish.

Best,

John

Offline dsteinwedel

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 02:36:04 PM »
Hey John,

That's all very interesting. One question about chargers and batteries. I'm noticing the batteries come in either NiCd or NiMh variations, as do the chargers. I'm assuming these are not interchangeable... ie if I use NiMh batteries I must also find a NiMh charger?

Thanks!
Dave

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 07:35:53 PM »
Most of the np-1 chargers will work with either Nickle Cadmium (NiCad) or Nickle Metal Hydride (NiMh) as they share similar algorithms.  Lithium Ion chargers are unique, although IDX is making a charger that works with all three.  The standards for charging lion are strange, too.  Each manufacturer tries to keep customers by setting up proprietary charging methods.  I use NiMh for NP1s and they work very well.  I have an idx lion charger, but haven't switched yet.  Lithuim ion is better in cold weather.

Here's alink to the IDX website that will give you more breadth.  http://www.idxtek.com/pdf/tech_info/T-005.pdf

look for a pm....

Best,

John

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 04:28:10 PM »
Here is 120wh (12v @ 10aH) of NiMH for $100 or so.
http://www.batteryspace.com/search.aspx?find=RB-HD10R2T-MT
Lasts forever (at least 8 hours), fits in a small fanny pack with room for some foam/Styrofoam for protection (of your legs!)

The FR-2 connector is model: EIAJ RC-5320A Type 4  (Which is 5.5mm OD) Available in St and Rt-angle
Radio Shack used to sell a universal adapter that had one numbered "4", if I remember correctly.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 04:33:54 PM by 6o6 »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 04:50:47 PM »
Last week I picked up one of the Tekkeons that was on ebay. Charging it now and don't expect any problems with it powering the FR2. While the Tekkeon comes with adapters (one fits the FR2 well) I'm thinking of ordering a couple of these RA connectors as well as an extra Tekkeon cable and splicing the two so I'll have a dedicated cable for the FR2 and still have a full set of adapters.

http://www.amazon.com/2-1mm-5-5mm-11-2mm-Plug-Cord/dp/B0002KRCRW/ref=pd_cp_e_1

I'll report back after running the FR2 with the Tekkeon.

< no problems running either my FR2 or my FR2LE with the Tekkeon 3450 - my only complaint is the 3450 will not fit in the front pocket of a PB RM-Multi (not the Deluxe) without a right angle plug >
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 07:16:31 PM by flipp »

Offline dsteinwedel

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 01:49:07 AM »
Just wanted to report back in. I ended up with the BatteryGeek 9-12-66.

http://www.batterygeek.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=9-12-66_BatteryGeek&CartID=1

Have had it about a month and couldn't be happier so far. It fits all my criteria (light, small (I love how thin it is), long-lasting). I did some initial tests when I first got it--set it up to the machine, hit record, and let it go. After 6+ hours of recording and between 50-75% battery drain (you only get a 4 part indicator) I threw in the towel and said "Fantastic!" The battery charges for me in around 3 hours. One excellent surprise is that it doesn't run hot--even after hours of use. I guess I just take it for granted after getting used to laptops heating up so much.

Thanks for all your help!

--Dave

Offline Dustin Moore

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 08:47:20 AM »
Not quite on topic but does anyone know if the FR-2 will be ok with +15volts on the regular
power input port? I have a bunch of other gear that wants +15.

Thanks,

Offline woodbine

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 08:25:51 PM »
latest firmware has a 7.2v setting, specifically designed to allow RC batteries to connect via 12v connector. I have large capacity RC battery, getting about 4.5-5hours continuous reording with phantom.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com