Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 163636 times)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #345 on: December 05, 2016, 03:48:02 PM »
What does the 'check card' option do?  Right under the format option.  I pressed it assuming it would show the data on the card but it just said 'processing' for a while and went back to the main screen.

I have a few sets I haven't transferred to my computer yet, hoping it doesn't affect those...

Page 72 of the manual.
It just checks it and erases any non-R44 files to free up space.
It should leave the R44 files alone.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #346 on: December 05, 2016, 06:04:07 PM »
One more R44 caveat that I learned last night.
Been running these decks for a long time now and this one just got solved.

I had a hard time synching the digital signal from the V3 and tried everything: switching the sample size, plugging and unplugging, switching decks, restarting....

Finally I noticed that the phantom power was on for Channels 1 & 2 and turning that off, shutting down both the V3 & R44 and starting over fixed it right up. So there is, I believe, the main reason that sometimes the R44 doesn't take the digital signal from time to time!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #347 on: December 05, 2016, 07:25:02 PM »
Thanks for the updates, jb63. This is all good to hear!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #348 on: December 09, 2016, 11:14:33 AM »
^^  That's a good trick to know about the digital signal.  Cheers, jb63!

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #349 on: July 31, 2017, 02:46:44 PM »
Tomorrow I am going to try (and try again) to get 2 R44s (both running digital & analog inputs) to sync up.
I've had no luck at all, but its a big open show and I'm dying to use my MINI-ME & acmV3.

There are only a couple of combinations of Master > Slave things to try and I have to use the 1/8" to connect them, so maybe it will work.

I welcome any suggestions.
(So far I've been able to get it to work if the Master is set to Digital & Analog, and the slave is set to Analog x2. Never been able to get it to sync with both set to DiG & Analog)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #350 on: July 31, 2017, 04:09:54 PM »
Can't shed any light on the Master>Slave settings, but I do recall reading somewhere in the vastness of these threads that completely shutting off the pre-record option on both decks will allow them to sync.  Note that I cannot confirm this as I don't currently have two R-44s at my disposal.  Good luck and keep us posted. 

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #351 on: August 01, 2017, 11:13:51 PM »
Tomorrow I am going to try (and try again) to get 2 R44s (both running digital & analog inputs) to sync up.
I've had no luck at all, but its a big open show and I'm dying to use my MINI-ME & acmV3.

There are only a couple of combinations of Master > Slave things to try and I have to use the 1/8" to connect them, so maybe it will work.

I welcome any suggestions.
(So far I've been able to get it to work if the Master is set to Digital & Analog, and the slave is set to Analog x2. Never been able to get it to sync with both set to DiG & Analog)

Digital input does not work in master/slave mode.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #352 on: August 02, 2017, 11:12:36 AM »
Well I had no luck.
Digital input DOES work if the Master is set to Digital and Analog in.
The Slave has to be set to Analo and Analog in.

Then use the 1/8" jack to sync them. Be sure not to have phantom power on in the digital in channel.

Last night I tried again to sync 2 of them set to Digital and Analog in, but it just caused the slave to go crazy. I almost thought it was going to work-- all 4 channels started rolling but the slave digital in channels were just overloaded and not adjustable when I turned the knobs on the mini-ME. I tried a lot of combinations after that but it wasn't until I shut everything down and reset it to the way that works (above) that it all calmed down. The slave R44 wouldn't even sync to the mini-ME and defaulted to internal mics a bunch of times.

I hope I didn't fry anything.

The solution, of course, was to run them both unsynched, and live with the part where the channels don't line up, but that wasn't the point of the excercise. It was to run 2 digital preamps, but I don't think there is anything portable that will do that.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #353 on: August 04, 2017, 02:19:47 PM »
OK.
I have a new idea.
I'm going to run the mini-ME > Microtrack II > RCA out (RCA XLR cables) > R44 In.
That way the R44 slave is still running Analog x2 but its getting the digital feed from the Mini-ME and the benefit of both ocmR44s synched up, thus 4 aligned stereo recordings.

Would that degrade the signal in any way?
What level setting would you set that incoming R44 channel to? 9am?

I think that's the solution, just a lot of extra gear and wires. But the Microtrack II and its battery is not really heavy.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #354 on: August 04, 2017, 03:22:57 PM »
I've not used the mini-Me and it's been years since I've seen one.
Does it not have any analog out?  Digital out only?

If it does, use that and eliminate the Mircrotracker for one less A-D-A step (which may or may not be audible), less connections, cables, powering and other hassles, complication and potential failure points (the pragmatic concerns).

..But you'd probably already be doing that if it did!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #355 on: August 04, 2017, 03:32:03 PM »
OK.
I have a new idea.
I'm going to run the mini-ME > Microtrack II > RCA out (RCA XLR cables) > R44 In.
That way the R44 slave is still running Analog x2 but its getting the digital feed from the Mini-ME and the benefit of both ocmR44s synched up, thus 4 aligned stereo recordings.

Would that degrade the signal in any way?
What level setting would you set that incoming R44 channel to? 9am?

I think that's the solution, just a lot of extra gear and wires. But the Microtrack II and its battery is not really heavy.

I get a headache just following all the chains, but that should work. You have the mini-ME sending the digi (SP/DIF) signal to the MT which although sending analog out through RCA, is sending what it received as a bit bucket, so the signal should be uncolored by the MT, so I'm with you on that.

2 weeks ago I blew the dust off my MT (MT24/96 or MT1 in my case) also because it was light and a the only small Bit Bucket I am aware of. I was using the MixPre 6 with a SD USB Pre 2 sending an analog signal to the 5/6 channels on the MixPre 6. I figured why not send the digi out from the USB Pre 2 into the MT which really takes up no room. I had a USB out free on my battery, so no problem there either. It worked great, but at the end of the show I had to think for a few minutes on how to stop the recording on the MT as it had been a long while since I had used it.  :bigsmile:
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #356 on: August 04, 2017, 03:41:49 PM »
You have the mini-ME sending the digi (SP/DIF) signal to the MT which although sending analog out through RCA, is sending what it received as a bit bucket, so the signal should be uncolored by the MT

The MT's DAC and analog output stage are in the chain.  Not sure how audible that is in reality.

Analog >mini-Me (preamp input stage  and ADC) > digital S/PDIF > Microtracker (DAC and analog output stage) > analog > R44 (ACM analog input stage and ADC)

-verses-

Analog >mini-Me (preamp input stage and analog output stage [if it has that!]) > analog >[/b] R44 (ACM analog input stage and ADC)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:44:40 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #357 on: August 04, 2017, 04:12:01 PM »
You have the mini-ME sending the digi (SP/DIF) signal to the MT which although sending analog out through RCA, is sending what it received as a bit bucket, so the signal should be uncolored by the MT

The MT's DAC and analog output stage are in the chain.  Not sure how audible that is in reality.

Analog >mini-Me (preamp input stage  and ADC) > digital S/PDIF > Microtracker (DAC and analog output stage) > analog > R44 (ACM analog input stage and ADC)

-verses-

Analog >mini-Me (preamp input stage and analog output stage [if it has that!]) > analog >[/b] R44 (ACM analog input stage and ADC)

I totally agree, but I do not think there is analog out on a mini ME

jcable77

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #358 on: August 09, 2017, 04:22:17 AM »
Mini-me has a headphone out you could use?

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #359 on: August 09, 2017, 12:22:31 PM »
Mini-me has a headphone out you could use?
You are correct, that could be a step saving option if the quality is good. I forgot that there is a 1/8th headphone output on the back panel. Good catch!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com