Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone tried 5V external (USB) power for MixPre?  (Read 15217 times)

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Anyone tried 5V external (USB) power for MixPre?
« on: December 31, 2011, 10:01:46 AM »
Does it work? Thanks in advance!
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Re: Anyone tried 5V external (USB) power for MixPre?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 04:09:39 PM »
interesting question! I have never seen the mixpre cable terminated to USB before but i guess that doesn't mean its not possible. Are you going to make it or ask ted to make one?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 05:10:29 PM »
I can't think why it wouldn't work since it's rated for 5-17 VDC. Unless somebody speaks up and says it doesn't work, I'll get Ted to build me one. I've got a USB battery I bought to power a 661 that I just sold, so I'm trying to find another use for it. I'll let you know if it works out.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 08:11:04 PM »
I can't think why it wouldn't work since it's rated for 5-17 VDC. Unless somebody speaks up and says it doesn't work, I'll get Ted to build me one. I've got a USB battery I bought to power a 661 that I just sold, so I'm trying to find another use for it. I'll let you know if it works out.

what's the amperage draw rating on it?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 08:27:08 PM »
Bumping an old topic.
Anyone try this recently? 

I just had a couple USB > Hirose cables made, and want to power the MixPre from a RavPower Li-ion USB battery.

With this rig connected, the MixPre seems to power up and pass signal fine, but the Power LED does not light on it.
It does light when powered via AA batteries.

I'm going to run some tests tomorrow to see how long it can go.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 09:07:30 PM »
It will not work for a MixPre-D which requires a higher voltage.

For any previous version of MixPre that only requires 5VDC to operate a USB to Hirose 4 pin cable should work just fine, though I'd recommend using a beefy USB cable to start with, one that uses lower gauge wires internally to handle current requirements.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 09:13:29 PM »
For the MixPre, it works, but the battery light doesn't light up for some reason. I did a set 1 vs set 2 comp with DVD batteries and couldn't tell the difference. I'm using a GAK cable.

It will not work for a MixPre-D which requires a higher voltage.

For any previous version of MixPre that only requires 5VDC to operate a USB to Hirose 4 pin cable should work just fine, though I'd recommend using a beefy USB cable to start with, one that uses lower gauge wires internally to handle current requirements.
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline Benderman11

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 11:04:21 PM »
Would this work for,the sound devices 442 also?
mics: Joly Modded Oktava MK-012MSP, Telefunken M60 stereo set, Neumann ak40, ak43, or ak50 > Nick mod lc3 > Naiant PFA or km100
Pres: Sound Devices 442, Sound Devices MP-2, Grace Lunatec V3
Recorders: Zoom F8, Tascam DR-60Dmkii, Zoom F4, SD788t

Offline Jamos

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 02:14:28 PM »
I got confirmation from SD that powering via a 5V USB source should work fine. 
Still need to ask them about why the power LED doesn't light...

But I did a test yesterday with a 13000 mAh RavPower battery and the MixPre amplifying two Neumann km184 mics.
The MixPre was on and active for 8 hours.  I disconnected everything and checked the battery - it was not even down one blip (technical tem) on it's battery meter.

Should work fine with a 442, as they list its specs as 5-18V DC.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 08:48:19 AM »
USB ports differ as to how much current they can reliably supply at 5 VDC. It should never be assumed (without testing) that any given USB device can power your MixPre--and if other devices are also plugged in, they could reduce the available current at the MixPre's socket, depending.

There are standards as to the current that a USB port "shall" be able to supply, but they differ among USB versions 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 etc., and the startup current is one thing while sustained availability is another. Plus there's a tolerance range around the 5 Volts, which may mean that in some cases the "5 Volts" you're getting from the port isn't enough to reach the "5 Volts" lower limit of the MixPre.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Jamos

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 05:46:36 PM »
USB ports differ as to how much current they can reliably supply at 5 VDC. It should never be assumed (without testing) that any given USB device can power your MixPre--and if other devices are also plugged in, they could reduce the available current at the MixPre's socket, depending.

There are standards as to the current that a USB port "shall" be able to supply, but they differ among USB versions 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 etc., and the startup current is one thing while sustained availability is another. Plus there's a tolerance range around the 5 Volts, which may mean that in some cases the "5 Volts" you're getting from the port isn't enough to reach the "5 Volts" lower limit of the MixPre.

All interesting points!
The folks at Sound Devices have told me:
"with 2 phantom powered mics connected with gain turned all the way up the MixPre was pulling 310mA when connected to a 5v supply".

So if it's pulling a maximum of .3 amps through the USB cable, that should be fine in this application.  I suppose the SD 442 could pull probably double that amperage, but that's still under 1 amp, which should still be fine with most common sized USB cables.

I've got a question into SD regarding at what voltage the MixPre will shut itself down.

Offline Benderman11

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 11:29:21 PM »
Total SD newbie...I just got my Usb > hirose 4-pin.  Plugged into 442 and the battery LED indicator is flashing.  I then went through all external battery settings and got the same result with each, light continues to flash. 

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?
mics: Joly Modded Oktava MK-012MSP, Telefunken M60 stereo set, Neumann ak40, ak43, or ak50 > Nick mod lc3 > Naiant PFA or km100

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 12:54:52 PM »
check the amperage output of the USB port you are using. 1A and up is more common now because tablets typically require more, but 0.5A has been common historically if the adapter was intended just for a mobile phone.

this is something I've encountered.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline Benderman11

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 09:48:19 PM »
I have 1 & 2 amp USb ports on a 20,000mAh battery.  I 'm suspicious that because the battery output is 5V, the SD442  (5-18V DC  snput ) the machine just thinks the external battery is dying? 

Update:  SD442 had no issues running on 5V USB power and supplying 48V phantom power to 4 mics.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 12:06:46 PM by Benderman11 »

Offline jmitchell

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 01:45:49 PM »
I have 1 & 2 amp USb ports on a 20,000mAh battery.  I 'm suspicious that because the battery output is 5V, the SD442  (5-18V DC  snput ) the machine just thinks the external battery is dying? 

Update:  SD442 had no issues running on 5V USB power and supplying 48V phantom power to 4 mics.

Were you using the 1a port or the 2a port? 
AKG C451E, CK1, CK22, CK3
Telefunken M60, TK60, TK62
Studio Projects C4 Cards & Omni
CA-14 Cards & Omni
Audioroot Femto, Sound Devices MixPre-D
Sound Devices MixPre-6, Zoom F8n, Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com