Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-60D (part 2) & upgraded DR-60Dmkii  (Read 46126 times)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
Re: Tascam DR-60D (part 2) & upgraded DR-60Dmkii
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2015, 03:32:48 PM »
Were you running mic-in or line-in on 3/4?

Line in

Yeah then I'd say your best bet would be to run some pads between the aerco and the 60D 680.  The low/high mic gain setting only applies when running mic-in.  It's disabled when running line-in.  Just to be clear, was the 680 going over -0 or were the 680 inputs overloading?  I used to have issues of sending the 680 too hot of a signal from external preamps and the 680 inputs would overload.

FWIW my problem lately has been that my preamps (sd mp-2/shure fp-24) were overloading even with their gain all the way down so I had to put some pads between the mics and the preamp.  Pads between the mics and preamp sounded better to me than running the pads on the mics themselves.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 04:46:14 PM by drewloo »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2015, 04:17:27 PM »
Yeah then I'd say your best bet would be to run some pads between the aerco and the 680.  The low/high mic gain setting only applies when running mic-in.  It's disabled when running line-in.  Just to be clear, was the 680 going over -0 or were the 680 inputs overloading?  I used to have issues of sending the 680 too hot of a signal from external preamps and the 680 inputs would overload.

FWIW my problem lately has been that my preamps (sd mp-2/shure fp-24) were overloading even with their gain all the way down so I had to put some pads between the mics and the preamp.  Pads between the mics and preamp sounded better to me than running the pads on the mics themselves.

Thanks for the feedback. This was the 60D, not the 680, although I'm assuming the functionality is similar? The levels on the 60D were exceeding -0dB.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2015, 04:58:31 PM »
Whoops, sorry about that.  Had the 680mkii on my mind & forgot I still had notifications 'on' for this thread.   :facepalm:  I've only used my 60D a couple of times so I can't really attest to the similarity of the input settings and will now stfu.   :-[

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2015, 10:29:16 AM »
I have run tinybox > 3/4 at home and once at a show.
I had the tb on mid gain and the 60d on low I believe. Then used the 60d knobs to fine tune
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2015, 07:28:03 PM »
Anyone running a preamp into channels 3/4?

I plan to run a pre for 3/4 and use the 1/2 for SBD patches when available. The places that I've asked for a patch lately only have XLR matrix outs.

I ran exactly this recently. SBD > XLR> 1/2 and Mics > Aerco > 3/4.
Even with the gain setting the LOW and knobs way down, channels 3/4 were running hot. I also ran into the M10 and was able to mix the two in post. Would applying a gain reduction in the "mixer" of the 60D remedy this? Or should I just use attenuators?

I have a cable tester that has a test tone feature so I ran it into all the inputs and set it for -20dB. The channel 1/2 gain knobs were at about 9 o'clock (on low) and one was a little lower than the other which kind of bugs me. Channels 3/4 were knob all the way down and it pegged on -20dB.

I forgot about the mixer function so I went back and looked and all of the channels were set to 100%. I guess you could set it lower there to gain some headroom but I don't know if it would prevent the analog input from clipping and just keep the ADC from going over. I assume that's digital gain reduction between input gain stage and ADC but I'm just guessing.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2015, 07:40:17 PM »
Maybe one of the two knobs wasn't put on by the factory in exactly in the same position as the other one and could be repositioned to match?  or make a matching mark with something?

Offline quackser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2015, 10:58:40 PM »
Just bought a DR-60Dmkii... I'm a complete newb - wanting for now to hook up stereo out from a board and a couple of XLR mics at the local open mic nights.
My Q here: is it reasonable to run the board into the stereo 3/4 input?  I don't want to blow out my new toy... 

Offline willndmb

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2015, 11:36:26 PM »
Just bought a DR-60Dmkii... I'm a complete newb - wanting for now to hook up stereo out from a board and a couple of XLR mics at the local open mic nights.
My Q here: is it reasonable to run the board into the stereo 3/4 input?  I don't want to blow out my new toy...
i don't see why you couldn't
Just make sure you have mic power off and prob want to set the gain to low
Might even be able to set it to line, can't recall
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline trubbaman

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2015, 11:39:55 AM »

Yep, I do it all the time.
Mics: Busman BSC-1 (cards, omnis, sub cards, hypers); Church CA-11 cards, CA-14 omni
Pre: Church CA-9100
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D, Sony PCM-M10
LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Mike.Fickel%22
Archivist for Jon Dee Graham

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2015, 05:33:44 PM »
I ran a board feed into channels 3/4 for the first time last night and the levels were way hot. The sound guy was running the same feed into channels 1/2 of his own 60D and he wasn't having a problem. Now, he was a nice guy and decreased the levels for me, but it seems I will need some attenuators in case I don't get a pleasant sound guy or one too busy to help. Does this seem right?
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2015, 07:26:35 PM »
I ran a board feed into channels 3/4 for the first time last night and the levels were way hot. The sound guy was running the same feed into channels 1/2 of his own 60D and he wasn't having a problem. Now, he was a nice guy and decreased the levels for me, but it seems I will need some attenuators in case I don't get a pleasant sound guy or one too busy to help. Does this seem right?

Yes. The 3/4 input runs a good bit hotter than the 1/2 based on calibrating it with a test tone. Make sure that your input is set for low gain and someone mentioned here that you can decrease gain in the mixer settings though I don't know if that will help avoid clipping the inputs without outboard attenuation...however if you are getting overs that aren't audibly clipping the input it could save you at the ADC stage.

Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2015, 08:17:33 PM »

Yes. The 3/4 input runs a good bit hotter than the 1/2 based on calibrating it with a test tone. Make sure that your input is set for low gain and someone mentioned here that you can decrease gain in the mixer settings though I don't know if that will help avoid clipping the inputs without outboard attenuation...however if you are getting overs that aren't audibly clipping the input it could save you at the ADC stage.

Yes, I set the input for low gain on 3/4.

In your tests, how much hotter is 3/4 than 1/2?
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2015, 09:56:48 PM »

Test tone at +4 dBu (pro level) with all front panel gain knobs all the way down

input 1 on XLR and TRS, line in setting, LOW, mixer 100 = -33
input 2   same                                                             = -34
input 3 TS>mini, LOW, mixer 100                                 =   -6
input 4   same                                                             =   -6

So it's a lot more sensitive.

I plan on running my preamp TS to mini into 3/4 and using the 1/2 for SBDs or another set of mics when the opportunity arises. Most of the patches I get offered are XLR (sometimes TRS) anyway.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2015, 10:01:16 PM »
I'm tryiing to keep a preamp (and associated power source) out of my bag, so I guess I'll look for attenuators. I have all the connectors I need. Thanks for the info.

ETA: Has anyone actually used the mixer settings to successfully adjust the incoming signal on 3/4 without it being brickwalled prior to the mixer reduction?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 10:03:26 PM by vanark »

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline willndmb

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2015, 10:05:12 PM »

Test tone at +4 dBu (pro level) with all front panel gain knobs all the way down

input 1 on XLR and TRS, line in setting, LOW, mixer 100 = -33
input 2   same                                                             = -34
input 3 TS>mini, LOW, mixer 100                                 =   -6
input 4   same                                                             =   -6

So it's a lot more sensitive.

I plan on running my preamp TS to mini into 3/4 and using the 1/2 for SBDs or another set of mics when the opportunity arises. Most of the patches I get offered are XLR (sometimes TRS) anyway.
maybe that's why there is no med gain on 3/4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com