Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)  (Read 116227 times)

Offline bluewingolive

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »
Mine are duct taped. I NEEED gaff tape but its expensive as hell. I can get 3 x Rolls of KILLER duct tape from Sams Club for $12.00 that lasts me about 1 year. I roll of gaff tape is almost 30 bucks :( Guess with all the $$$$ I have invested in gear, I can splurge a lil for 1 roll of gaff tape :P ;D

@ B&H 2in X 12yd roll is around $6.  Everytime I order something that get's me free shipping....I add a few rolls on the order.  Nice smallish rolls that you can strap to your gear bag.  Easy peasy....and cost effective.

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2012, 06:56:02 AM »
Is there any difference in various brands of Alkaline batteries ? Or do the brand names doesn't vary much ?
I currently use rechargable batteries ( and they're great ) , but when travelling I don't feel like taking the loader .
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2012, 11:08:38 AM »
There are battery tests around that say they're all pretty similar unless you buy Lithium.

http://dealnews.com/features/Test-Results-That-Will-Change-the-Way-You-Buy-Batteries-Forever/449005.html

http://www.zbattery.com/zbattery/batteryinfo.html

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?64660-Alkaline-Battery-Shoot-Out--This one has surprisingly good results for Rite Aid generics!

But...call me superstitious. Back in my Minidisc days I was switching back and forth between Energizer and Duracell. From my own purely anecdotal and amateur tests I found that Energizer would work fine and then suddenly drop below a certain threshold and stop powering the unit, like dropping off a cliff, while the Duracell would dwindle more gradually and hang in there longer at 2 bars. So I've stuck to Duracell since then. But the more scientifically expert are probably laughing now. 

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »
There are battery tests around that say they're all pretty similar unless you buy Lithium.

http://dealnews.com/features/Test-Results-That-Will-Change-the-Way-You-Buy-Batteries-Forever/449005.html

http://www.zbattery.com/zbattery/batteryinfo.html

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?64660-Alkaline-Battery-Shoot-Out--This one has surprisingly good results for Rite Aid generics!

But...call me superstitious. Back in my Minidisc days I was switching back and forth between Energizer and Duracell. From my own purely anecdotal and amateur tests I found that Energizer would work fine and then suddenly drop below a certain threshold and stop powering the unit, like dropping off a cliff, while the Duracell would dwindle more gradually and hang in there longer at 2 bars. So I've stuck to Duracell since then. But the more scientifically expert are probably laughing now.

Thanks for the answer .
I haven't used batteries basically since the early DAT days . later on , even with DAT , I started using rechargable ones .
 I've seen some tests but I am also interested what M10 users thinks are best .

So I guess as long as they are ( brandname) Alkaline or Lithium it should be fine , eh ?
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2012, 01:31:37 PM »
Is there any difference in various brands of Alkaline batteries ? Or do the brand names doesn't vary much ?
I currently use rechargable batteries ( and they're great ) , but when travelling I don't feel like taking the loader .

I buy whatever I can get cheaper...and since the M10 is scary good in the battery life dept. that means I've only used Duracell's. I'm still on my original 20 pack of Duracell's. I've had no issues with them.

I personally don't trust the rechagables as much. A 20 pack of Duracell AA's are $6 on Amazon. That's 60 cents each time I reload batteries. They last me AT LEAST 10 shows...so 6 cents per show. At that rate...I don't worry about it.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2012, 03:45:04 PM »
They last me AT LEAST 10 shows...so 6 cents per show. At that rate...I don't worry about it.

What bit rate and freq are you running at?

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2012, 04:58:55 PM »
I have been running these:
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/-MAHA-POWEREX-Four-2700-mAh-AA-NIMH-Rechargeable-Batteries_p_20.html
on a set of 4 for about 3 years, and recording at 24/96. 

UI typically get 2-3 shows out of a set of freshly charged batteries when I have a couple of shows in a week.... $13 for 3 years, ~100 shows a year... you do the math

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2012, 08:12:11 PM »
They last me AT LEAST 10 shows...so 6 cents per show. At that rate...I don't worry about it.

24/48

Does it make a difference in battery life?
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2012, 09:29:01 PM »

24/48

I've found it makes a difference on my 722. I haven't tested on my M-10, but I bet it has some impact.

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2012, 12:34:10 AM »

24/48

I've found it makes a difference on my 722. I haven't tested on my M-10, but I bet it has some impact.

Interesting. I guess more 1's and 0's take more juice.

The damn thing still blows my mind especially compared to other recorders I've used. My old DR-07 would last ONE show. Maybe 2 if it was a really short show.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2012, 10:05:49 AM »
^^^ Sony even lists different record times for various bit depths and sampling rates in the manual.

The damn thing still blows my mind especially compared to other recorders I've used. My old DR-07 would last ONE show. Maybe 2 if it was a really short show.

This hits the nail on the head: who's worried about batteries with the M10?  Even for a long festival day, with cheap batteries, you'd still be good to go.

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2012, 02:10:42 PM »
has anyone had to have their "line in" jack repaired?  if so, what was the cost?

my buddy's line in jack went bad and he thinks it'll be better to buy a new unit rather than have it fixed.  thanks.

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2012, 03:21:11 PM »
how did it go bad?  the R09 had solder issues, but it was a $25 patch to keep them going

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2012, 04:03:58 PM »
he thinks it went bad due to bumping and jostling of the cable while in the jack.  nothing from the outside appears to be physically broken, but he's getting some static and drop-out when using the jack.

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2012, 04:29:09 PM »
I only asked because I was having issues, but when I changes my input cable, it seems to have stopped... being a couple of years in on these and only using my for stealth (which beats it up), I am wondering if the End Of Life for these units is about up for me (meaning replacement or upgrade)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com